Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Gaithersburg, MD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which one was broken? The last time I visited, the connector on 2B was messed up and would not connect to the car. I inspected it and it didn’t appear to have a plastic piece stuck in it, although it did try to steal the plastic piece from my car.

That's the problem, but it was 3B. I read in a thread about someone having this problem at home. Someone else recognized the symptom and suggested looking for the piece of plastic. That was his problem and also in this case. I can see the plastic, but I don't have a tool in the car to remove it. I need to start carrying a pair of thin needle nose pliers to use for this.

That's the problem, but it was 3B. I read in a thread about someone having this problem at home. Someone else recognized the symptom and suggested looking for the piece of plastic. That was his problem and also in this case. I can see the plastic, but I don't have a tool in the car to remove it. I need to start carrying a pair of thin needle nose pliers to use for this.

In my experience with 2B, it appeared to be bent or damaged pins inside of the connector. No rouge pieces of plastic.

Supercharger 3B at Gaithersburg stole the plastic pin from my model 3's port on or about March 26. There was a note on the charger I didn't see driving in late at night kind of frazzled from my trip from Michigan. Unfortunately, the plastic part was left stuck in the plug. Maybe that is fortunate, because you can't stick it in and damage someone elses car. Mar car supercharged fine missing the plastic plug. Rockville Tesla service was kind enough to replace the plug and fix my port the following day - and I was on with my road trip.

I charged at Gaithersburg, MD last night with some 8 or 9 of 12 stalls in use. I plugged in and noticed the charge limit was not at 90%. Thinking maybe I had left it at 85% I unplugged the car and tuned it up to 90% and plugged back in. It was reset to 80%. As some are saying I could still set it anywhere I wanted.

It charged at 120+ kW in spite of a car on the paired charger. So I trotted off to get a bite to eat. After some time I was done eating but needed to visit the restroom. The car had just finished charging so I set the limit up again using my phone app and charging started again without dropping the limit to 80%.

So when all is said and done, the impact of this change would be expected to be pretty much nil. If you are on a trip the car will tell you when you have enough charge to continue so even if the limitation were active it would have little impact. Anyone wanting a higher charge than 80% can easily get it even remotely.

So other than a few individuals, I expect the overall impact of this change to be small. It will still have an impact on public perception.

Yesterday, on my way to Frederick I had to charge here and I was number 4 in a line of 5 cars. Being in a parking deck we had a line forming that backed up out through the entrance. Cars were backed up as far as I could see which was almost to the traffic circle. It's a shame that other car owners are inconvenienced by problems at the Superchargers. Imagine how bad it's going to be over the holidays if the Frederick charger isn't working.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
On Wed when I went in the evening station 2B wasn't working. There were row of cars that day too. The other drivers were not happy that we were blocking them.

I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty confident the immanent Supercharger in Frederick will relieve some of the pressure on this charger. It's not likely to happen before Thanksgiving though. With any luck it will happen before Christmas.

I'm pretty confident the property owners are getting significantly more business from these chargers. I pretty much always have a meal while charging. Lately it's been at the Yard House even with all the noise. Not only do people shop, etc. while charging, I expect just the increased exposure to new clientele brings in more business. Too bad others have to be inconvenienced by the limitations.

I'll be glad when the Frederick charger is open so I don't have to thread the needle anymore.

I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty confident the immanent Supercharger in Frederick will relieve some of the pressure on this charger. It's not likely to happen before Thanksgiving though. With any luck it will happen before Christmas.
I'd hope the supercharger being built at Pike & Rose (Supercharger - North Bethesda, MD) will help as well -- it's substantially closer to Gaithersburg, and I'd guess that more people without home charging live closer to Bethesda than Gaithersburg or Frederick. I do expect the Pike & Rose chargers to be extremely busy as soon as they open though.

I see there’s a temporary closure at the G’Burg station…does anyone know anything about this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    518.7 KB · Views: 43