TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Gaithersburg, MD

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by LS.., Aug 17, 2017.

1. gnuarm

gnuarm Model X 100 with 72 kW chargers

That's the problem, but it was 3B. I read in a thread about someone having this problem at home. Someone else recognized the symptom and suggested looking for the piece of plastic. That was his problem and also in this case. I can see the plastic, but I don't have a tool in the car to remove it. I need to start carrying a pair of thin needle nose pliers to use for this.

2. Big Earl

Big Earl Supporting Member

In my experience with 2B, it appeared to be bent or damaged pins inside of the connector. No rouge pieces of plastic.

3. gnuarm

Was it reported?

4. Big Earl

Big Earl Supporting Member

Yes. We reported it and the other stall that were broken. It appears that they've addressed those issues and others have popped up.

5. Superspectral

Superspectral Member

Supercharger 3B at Gaithersburg stole the plastic pin from my model 3's port on or about March 26. There was a note on the charger I didn't see driving in late at night kind of frazzled from my trip from Michigan. Unfortunately, the plastic part was left stuck in the plug. Maybe that is fortunate, because you can't stick it in and damage someone elses car. Mar car supercharged fine missing the plastic plug. Rockville Tesla service was kind enough to replace the plug and fix my port the following day - and I was on with my road trip.

6. gnuarm

I charged at Gaithersburg, MD last night with some 8 or 9 of 12 stalls in use. I plugged in and noticed the charge limit was not at 90%. Thinking maybe I had left it at 85% I unplugged the car and tuned it up to 90% and plugged back in. It was reset to 80%. As some are saying I could still set it anywhere I wanted.

It charged at 120+ kW in spite of a car on the paired charger. So I trotted off to get a bite to eat. After some time I was done eating but needed to visit the restroom. The car had just finished charging so I set the limit up again using my phone app and charging started again without dropping the limit to 80%.

So when all is said and done, the impact of this change would be expected to be pretty much nil. If you are on a trip the car will tell you when you have enough charge to continue so even if the limitation were active it would have little impact. Anyone wanting a higher charge than 80% can easily get it even remotely.

So other than a few individuals, I expect the overall impact of this change to be small. It will still have an impact on public perception.