Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Gallup, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hampton Inn has always been very welcoming when we charge at Gallup. I think the bathrooms are just closed for COVID-19 safety. A few other hotels and restaurants were doing the same the past few weeks. I managed to hold it from Scottsdale to Albuquerque. Holbrook, AZ Burger King was drive thru only, no customers inside. The Gallup Hampton Inn lobby and restrooms were closed to non-guests. I don't remember any problems farther east, but we stayed at the Holiday In Express in Albuquerque, so didn't need the lobby restrooms there.

Reactions: PLUS EV
We were there on September 9th and September 17th. On both occasions there was only one X on the 9th so we were on our own. The biggest problem with this SC is that the nearby Hampton Inn has had so many negative experiences with people misusing their lobby restrooms, they have closed them even to their guests. I don't know if the people who abused their restrooms were Tesla owners. So, be aware that this location has no nearby restrooms or places to eat. You'll have to drive east into the city for any services.
There's an empty field with some brush nearby if you have to #1. *cough* ...

There's an empty field with some brush nearby if you have to #1. *cough* ...
Covid closures are the reason.

Traveling during these times can be logistically arduous - potty wise.
Watering the bushes is an option if it can be managed discretely — I'm definitely not at an age that I can make it from Scottsdale to Albuquerque! Filling a bottle is an option for guys; not so easy for gals.

Another option for avoiding restrooms, or dealing with closed ones, is this attachment that fits snugly over a standard 5 gallon paint bucket:

Emergency Zone Brand Honey Bucket Emergency Toilet Seat

Still need to find a reasonably private place to use it, however, so it's not going to work well in urban areas. More practical for tent camping I suppose. (Camping is my preferred lodging on road trips — I can charge my car using the campsite RV pedestal; I particularly like state parks.)

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
Watering the bushes is an option if it can be managed discretely — I'm definitely not at an age that I can make it from Scottsdale to Albuquerque! Filling a bottle is an option for guys; not so easy for gals.

Another option for avoiding restrooms, or dealing with closed ones, is this attachment that fits snugly over a standard 5 gallon paint bucket:

Emergency Zone Brand Honey Bucket Emergency Toilet Seat

Still need to find a reasonably private place to use it, however, so it's not going to work well in urban areas. More practical for tent camping I suppose. (Camping is my preferred lodging on road trips — I can charge my car using the campsite RV pedestal; I particularly like state parks.)
This has proved to be a controversial topic on this forum as of late, but for those who want to be as discreet as possible, I recommend a large bottle (I use a one gallon crystal geyser water bottle), creative parking, and using a car door for some additional cover. The cover of night also helps a lot, but this method can be fairly discreet even in broad daylight if you pick a good location. And no, I don't cap it up and carry it with me. Just dump it out and water the nearby bushes immediately, then put it in a plastic bag in the frunk or wherever. One nice thing about the Covid era is I always have hand sanitizer in the car so cleaning up afterwards is not much of an issue.

This has proved to be a controversial topic on this forum as of late, but for those who want to be as discreet as possible, I recommend a large bottle (I use a one gallon crystal geyser water bottle), creative parking, and using a car door for some additional cover. The cover of night also helps a lot, but this method can be fairly discreet even in broad daylight if you pick a good location. And no, I don't cap it up and carry it with me. Just dump it out and water the nearby bushes immediately, then put it in a plastic bag in the frunk or wherever. One nice thing about the Covid era is I always have hand sanitizer in the car so cleaning up afterwards is not much of an issue.
I guess I haven't come across the threads with the controversy. As you know I camp a lot, versus use hotels, to save money and to charge my car overnight on the RV pedestal. However, I'm at the age when I can't go all night without a restroom visit (those who are younger: just you wait until you get older!). The venerable bottle technique makes nights camping a lot more pleasant than getting up in the middle of the night when the temperature is in the 30s. There is a reason RVs are more popular with older folks than tents.

I realize that most of the Tesla road warriors are males but females have more issues when restrooms are not available or safe, for obvious reasons. The preferred technique for women is to open both passenger side doors to act as a screen and sit on the front door sill. Wouldn't work with the Model X, however! Damn falcon-wing doors... :(

• Funny
Reactions: smartypnz
I realize that most of the Tesla road warriors are males but females have more issues when restrooms are not available or safe, for obvious reasons. The preferred technique for women is to open both passenger side doors to act as a screen and sit on the front door sill. Wouldn't work with the Model X, however! Damn falcon-wing doors... :(

Yep... both doors - open the back door fully and then the front door to almost meet outer edge of the back door - forms a little cubby. Pretty much hidden from view. Perfect for guys and pretty much works for the ladies.

• Helpful
An “update” is being applied. Two Urban chargers look to be newly installed. There’s a small forklift on the other side of the big Tesla van. Ugh I hate sharing a supercharger!!! Pulling 49kW like a chump.

Also, Verizon’s cellular service here is horrible on both an iPhone and a newer Samsung

Attachments

• 9AB84676-E314-4B69-9BA0-6C1BD635A71B.jpeg
    9AB84676-E314-4B69-9BA0-6C1BD635A71B.jpeg
    664 KB · Views: 88
  • 6EED53DD-C9DF-4406-971B-913CA08123BC.jpeg
    6EED53DD-C9DF-4406-971B-913CA08123BC.jpeg
    410.9 KB · Views: 64
  • B882E604-ABE6-4DCD-8D07-58AB75A6BDCF.jpeg
    B882E604-ABE6-4DCD-8D07-58AB75A6BDCF.jpeg
    571.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 6E230F3A-1282-49AC-8DEC-25F4511DA46A.jpeg
    6E230F3A-1282-49AC-8DEC-25F4511DA46A.jpeg
    340.7 KB · Views: 67
An “update” is being applied. Two Urban chargers look to be newly installed. There’s a small forklift on the other side of the big Tesla van. Ugh I hate sharing a supercharger!!! Pulling 49kW like a chump.

Also, Verizon’s cellular service here is horrible on both an iPhone and a newer Samsung
Looks like two pallets so 4 new urban stalls for a total of 8 stalls.

Reactions: Schmeltz318
Looks like two pallets so 4 new urban stalls for a total of 8 stalls.

Yeah and as we left one of the techs tossed a cone in our spot. We didn’t chat as they looked busy but they were doing a bunch of work in the shed thing.

Really not looking forward to coming back this way come this weekend with even more cars hitting it.

Also this is the first really windy trip we’ve had in a couple years of ownership, holy crap the wind eats range! That and 80+mph...

So bizarre — why urbans and not V3’s. Maybe they just had some lying around so this was a cheap fix. Few locations less “urban” than Gallup! (tho Lima, Montana strikes me as the least urban supercharger of the lot)
These are temporary stalls. They are probably worried about crowding over the holidays. Usually sites that get temporary superchargers get a permanent expansion (or a new nearby supercharger) shortly thereafter.

These are temporary stalls. They are probably worried about crowding over the holidays. Usually sites that get temporary superchargers get a permanent expansion (or a new nearby supercharger) shortly thereafter.

Exactly this. Back before the Quartzite location got mega-upgraded to V3, they had a bunch of Urbans on pallets temporarily until construction completed.

This is really exciting news to hear that this site is being upgraded prior to my upcoming trip from Phoenix to Telluride in February! Anything they do here is an improvement over the current site.

If you check this site on PlugShare, I found someone's check-in that says this:
IMG_46A8DD078AC6-1.jpeg

• Disagree
Reactions: SnowFlyer and IdaX
Exactly this. Back before the Quartzite location got mega-upgraded to V3, they had a bunch of Urbans on pallets temporarily until construction completed.

This is really exciting news to hear that this site is being upgraded prior to my upcoming trip from Phoenix to Telluride in February! Anything they do here is an improvement over the current site.

If you check this site on PlugShare, I found someone's check-in that says this: View attachment 620447
Just a clarification to that Plugshare post: two pallets is four urban style Superchargers, typically 50 kW or less each, not six. The pallets have three each but only two are active at any location, which ones depending on how the site is oriented.

• Helpful
Reactions: PLUS EV
Now showing 8 SC’s at Gallup! Any reports what max KW people are seeing on the new chargers?

The "new" chargers are just palletized Urban chargers. So the max will be about 72kW, not sure if two vehicles pull up to them if they'll still provide 72kW but I'm sure someone will chime-in.

I attached a picture of them from when I went through 22 Dec. They were fully functioning when I came back through on the 26th

Attachments

• B882E604-ABE6-4DCD-8D07-58AB75A6BDCF.jpeg
    B882E604-ABE6-4DCD-8D07-58AB75A6BDCF.jpeg
    571.4 KB · Views: 58