Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Gallup, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was able to charge midday at Gallup on Monday (5/4), no problem. The police road block was still up, but it was setup just past the hotel entrance, so as long as the police check line is not too long, you can get off the interstate just fine and squeeze by into the hotel parking lot. The hotel was closed though, so don’t expect a bathroom stop there. Got great charging speed, no problem there.
When I was charging at Holbrook, I plugged in the Albuquerque SC as the destination while in the car and it said I could make it without charging at Gallup, but only with a nearly full charge and only with a few percent to spare (LR M3 AWD) That was never going to work since I always lose a few percent on the planner during each driving stint. (5 over, A/C, plus an electric cooler)

I charged here on July 4 and July 10. This supercharger is not operating at full capacity. On July 10 it seems like all 4 stations were sharing 60kw. It was busy so all 4 spots taken even a car showing up to hop in line. We all were getting 15-16kw each. It was pretty annoying. Avoid this supercharger for now if you can.

We charged there on July 6. We were the only ones there. We averaged about 100kW. We came back through on July 9 in the evening. The four chargers were completely occupied. We had to wait about one hour. When we did get connected to a charger, we were getting 40kW consistently with all four chargers occupied. When the M3 on our paired charger left, the rate jumped to 60kW. It sucks that this charger is now going slower. It is pretty hard to make Holbrook from Albuquerque.

BTW: This is the first time we ever had to wait for a Supercharger slot.

A Plugshare report from two days ago reported 1a and 1b out of service. If still true, that would mean just two paired Superchargers to serve I-40 travelers!

Gallup is one of the oldest Supercharger Stations in the country and has been a weak link for some time. Tesla really needs to expand that site and build a Supercharger Station in Grants.

Last edited:
A Plugshare report from two days ago reported 1a and 1b out of service. If still true, that would mean just two paired Superchargers to serve I-40 travelers!

Gallup is one of the oldest Supercharger Stations in the country and has been a weak link for some time. Tesla really needs to expand that site and build a Supercharger Station in Grants.

Can definitely confirm from our road-trip from Denver to Phoenix. This charger would max out at 55Kw so we were kind of stuck there for some time (with a dog and a kid). Made the bare minimum charge to make it to Holbrook (going to PHX), and returning back to Farmington (when going back home)

Scary as hell drive from Holbrook AZ to Albuquerque yesterday in the model Y. Tesla route planner said to charge up in Holbrook and then charge again In Albuquerque. We were fully loaded and had a lightweight Kuat bike rack with 2 carbon bikes on the rear. We figured that we could stop in Gallup and charge as it’s a long way to Albuquerque. The navigator indicated that Gallup super chargers had reduced service then when we selected it it said closed, out of service. we ended up driving with no AC across i40 following the tesla’s speed recommendation to stay below 65 Mph in irder to make our destination, sometimes Driving less 60 In order to make it to Albuquerque. I40 is a 75mph highway. Imagine going 60 mph for over 200 miles with with semi trucks behind you. We made it to Albuquerque with 21 miles left on the battery!
get your act together Tesla and fix either the Gallup superchargers or the tesla navigator. I would have gladly waited to charge even at reduced service rather than risk getting stuck in the desert.

Scary as hell drive from Holbrook AZ to Albuquerque yesterday in the model Y. Tesla route planner said to charge up in Holbrook and then charge again In Albuquerque. We were fully loaded and had a lightweight Kuat bike rack with 2 carbon bikes on the rear. We figured that we could stop in Gallup and charge as it’s a long way to Albuquerque. The navigator indicated that Gallup super chargers had reduced service then when we selected it it said closed, out of service. we ended up driving with no AC across i40 following the tesla’s speed recommendation to stay below 65 Mph in irder to make our destination, sometimes Driving less 60 In order to make it to Albuquerque. I40 is a 75mph highway. Imagine going 60 mph for over 200 miles with with semi trucks behind you. We made it to Albuquerque with 21 miles left on the battery!
get your act together Tesla and fix either the Gallup superchargers or the tesla navigator. I would have gladly waited to charge even at reduced service rather than risk getting stuck in the desert.

That sounds pretty harrowing! Plugshare shows 2/4 working, with 1A working as of last night (2020-08-16). Which chargers were you using at the Gallup station?

Reactions: CO_MY
Since you're driving a Model Y, I'm guessing you're new at this, but it should go without saying that the Nav doesn't know you have a bike rack with two bikes on it. That is going to hinder your range tremendously. Also, you should have stopped at Gallup just to see if the superchargers work (recent posts suggest they do). It isn't a significant diversion from the freeway so there was no reason not to check it out.

Since you're driving a Model Y, I'm guessing you're new at this, but it should go without saying that the Nav doesn't know you have a bike rack with two bikes on it. That is going to hinder your range tremendously. Also, you should have stopped at Gallup just to see if the superchargers work (recent posts suggest they do). It isn't a significant diversion from the freeway so there was no reason not to check it out.

Yes, we are new to driving long distances in the Tesla but not new to Tesla. We had a model 3 For 18 months before we traded for the Y but had only taken one long road trip when we picked the 3 up in Las Vegas and had one charging stop on the way back to Scottsdale. Easy peasy.
My gripe is that the car told us that the Gallup station was not only reduced service, but closed. Thinking that that we’d have little battery to spare To go off to look (If the remaining battery at destination is meaningful) , we went on to Albuquerque super chargers rather than risk Gallup being closed and wasting the few precious miles. We’d been driving for two days with the bike rack under difficult conditions like extreme temps and long ascents so I figured that the computer would have seen our energy consumption per mile . It did tell us to stay under 65 mph To make our destination in Albuquerque. The car never suggested to stop in Gallup. When we put it in as a stop, it said That the station was closed.
Now I know to use Plugshare or Chargehub to look for alternatives.. lesson learned. Re: Chademo EV chargers, I Wanted to get the adaptor but hubby said no due to the $500 cost. ...and then the fight began, lol...I told him that I would sell the car if we ran out of battery along the way! Next time, if there Ever is one, I will buy the Chademo adaptor before a trip like this.

Btw.. AC shut off automatically on Saturday climbing on i17 N towards Flagstaff. Outside temps were over 110 degrees. Very slow moving traffic climbing sometimes as slow 8 mph. The thermometer On the screen read 148 degrees! No way could it cool the batteries. We just got off off the road and waited.
2 rough driving days. Today was great heading into Colorado. Made it to lovely Frisco. i’m even looking forward to the rain.
Thanks for all of the suggestions folks.

Reactions: MarkoC
We’d been driving for two days with the bike rack under difficult conditions like extreme temps and long ascents so I figured that the computer would have seen our energy consumption per mile.
The Nav only makes minor adjustments based on your energy consumption and I believe it only makes adjustment based on the current drive, definitely not previous days. Your bike rack with two bikes on it is a relatively major modification. The Nav will not be able to adjust for something like that. If it were winter, you simply would have run out of charge driving that leg the way you did (following the Nav's advice on speed and slowing down to those speeds accordingly with complete disregard for the bike rack). Fortunately you had friendly weather.

I agree that it's unfortunate that the Nav often says "temporary closure" or something similar when in fact the supercharger is operating at a reduced service. Tesla has not been consistent with how those are labeled and there's currently no way to get real time info from HQ. I've run into this problem enough that I know to look at this forum and/or Plugshare to search for signs of life in these situation. In this case, with very little diversion, I would have stopped and checked on it regardless.

Lastly, I'd like to hear more about the a/c shutting off automatically. I do not own a Y, but I can't imagine that there is any way the car is designed that way. I have had A/C issues with my 2018 Model S (currently on my 3rd compressor and it's showing signs of failing again). I would be concerned that you too have a major problem if a new Y is shutting off the A/C automatically like that. Did you get any dashboard warning associated with the shutdown?

• Helpful
Reactions: PStewart and IdaX
We had a model 3 before we got the Y but have only taken one long road trip when we picked the 3 up in Las Vegas and had one charging stop on the way In zkingman AZ back to Scottsdale. My gripe is that the car told Us that the Gallup station was not only reduced service, but closed. Knowing that that we’d have little battery to spare, we went on to Albuquerque super chargers rather than risk Gallup being closed and wasting the few precious miles.

The Nav only makes minor adjustments based on your energy consumption and I believe it only makes adjustment based on the current drive, definitely not previous days. Your bike rack with two bikes on it is a relatively major modification. The Nav will not be able to adjust for something like that. If it were winter, you simply would have run out of charge driving that leg the way you did (following the Nav's advice on speed and slowing down to those speeds accordingly with complete disregard for the bike rack). Fortunately you had friendly weather.

I agree that it's unfortunate that the Nav often says "temporary closure" or something similar when in fact the supercharger is operating at a reduced service. Tesla has not been consistent with how those are labeled and there's currently no way to get real time info from HQ. I've run into this problem enough that I know to look at this forum and/or Plugshare to search for signs of life in these situation. In this case, with very little diversion, I would have stopped and checked on it regardless.

Lastly, I'd like to hear more about the a/c shutting off automatically. I do not own a Y, but I can't imagine that there is any way the car is designed that way. I have had A/C issues with my 2018 Model S (currently on my 3rd compressor and it's showing signs of failing again). I would be concerned that you too have a major problem if a new Y is shutting off the A/C automatically like that. Did you get any dashboard warning associated with the shutdown?

There was no warning, the ac just shut down. The onscreen thermometer was reading about 148 degrees, which I assume is the outside road temp. Don’t know. We were stuck in the traffic jam for at least an hour creeping along.
We’ve only had the Y since June 30 and had under 300 miles on it when we began this trip. Ac is not too great in this car but then again outside air Temps were over 110 degrees. ( I guess that this should go to another thread. I’m new here.)

There was no warning, the ac just shut down. The onscreen thermometer was reading about 148 degrees, which I assume is the outside road temp. Don’t know. We were stuck in the traffic jam for at least an hour creeping along.
We’ve only had the Y since June 30 and had under 300 miles on it when we began this trip. Ac is not too great in this car but then again outside air Temps were over 110 degrees. ( I guess that this should go to another thread. I’m new here.)
You were unable to turn the a/c back on? Did you try a restart? I'm totally confused about this one. But sure, we are off topic so link to a new thread if you start one.

We were there on September 9th and September 17th. On both occasions there was only one X on the 9th so we were on our own. The biggest problem with this SC is that the nearby Hampton Inn has had so many negative experiences with people misusing their lobby restrooms, they have closed them even to their guests. I don't know if the people who abused their restrooms were Tesla owners. So, be aware that this location has no nearby restrooms or places to eat. You'll have to drive east into the city for any services.

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX and corywright