Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Gallup, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been obsessively checking PlugShare the past few days to see if the holiday travelers have any hints to provide about what's going on over there haha. The latest one says that they're charging at max rates (120kw) but take that with a grain of salt because we know that 4 of the "new" SCs are temp urban ones on pallets.

I'm more interested to see what happens after the holidays and if Tesla gets started on a more permanent installation upgrade here.

• Funny
Reactions: SnowFlyer
The more kW the better, but if the additional SC’s are providing 72kW it would be an improvement here. Previously just 4 V2 SC’s and often very low kW... Tesla Roadside Assistance claimed the low kW was a known issue with the electrical provider’s capacity to this site. I hope to see 8 or more permanent V3 SC’s in Gallup. Kayenta, AZ and Cortez, CO would also be worthy additions to improve the SC network in the 4 corners region.

Reactions: IdaX and kevanmann
Yeah you're talking about my dream SC network for the Mountain/Southwest region there For starters, I'd be happy with even just a reliable 120kW at Gallup. My biggest concern with this site is that I'd roll through and even when there's no one else charging, I'd get low kW. That seemed to be a trend based on PlugShare comments and others commenting in this thread.

I need to charge to 90%+ for my upcoming trip here and the more kW the better so that my charge time is minimized.

Reactions: IdaX and SnowFlyer
We are getting 71 kW on the new chargers at this very moment, which is quicker than sharing. I first plugged into a shared charger and was at about 50-ish kW, so the urban charger is better. Also, looks like when you share an urban, it doesn’t affect charge rate, so that’s good, as we continued to draw 71 kW, even after another car pulled in next to us.

9A3EE69F-2471-4228-8381-13C329E52C1A.jpeg

Update from PlugShare tonight about stalls 1A/1B being replaced! Probably just being replaced with a new 150kwh V2, but hopefully that means peak rates more often at this SC. Will be driving through here for the first time on the way to Telluride in about 2 weeks so hopefully they’re usable by then.

Attachments

• BEA90422-6B5F-4EDD-A82F-BB4A9DCCE2C8.jpeg
    BEA90422-6B5F-4EDD-A82F-BB4A9DCCE2C8.jpeg
    284.5 KB · Views: 70
Update from PlugShare tonight about stalls 1A/1B being replaced! Probably just being replaced with a new 150kwh V2, but hopefully that means peak rates more often at this SC. Will be driving through here for the first time on the way to Telluride in about 2 weeks so hopefully they’re usable by then.

The fear there is: “You can put a tuxedo on a goat. It’s still a goat.”

Arrived at Gallup to be seventh in line for four Superchargers. Apparently the four pallet stalls aren't working.

This is ridiculous. We need Grants to take pressure off of Gallup and Kayenta so some of us can avoid I-40 entirely!
That charger is complete garbage... Elon needs to start traveling outside of California and see how crappy some of these “have to stop” Chargers are a complete failure

Yeah, this SuperCharger is probably my least favorite (of the 50 I have been to) and likely the most problematic. I thought this was a little better when Tesla added the pallet chargers, but if they don’t work reliably, that don’t help. It really sucks that this is such a critical stop along I-40. The problem is easily solved by putting chargers in at Grants as planned. Grants is a decent exit, plus there has to be good power there since ElectrifyAmerica is already there. Tesla needs to bump Grants up to Q3 2021. Hopefully a bunch of people called service and complained the other day when things were backed up.

Holbrook is only a 4 stall charger
True, but Holbrook has not been as problematic as Gallup. And many of us have to stop at Holbrook anyway on the way to/from Payson. The issue here is ONLY the reliability/availability of Gallup. If the current site were upgraded to an 8 stall 250kW, that would be fine, but arguably Grants is a better highway exit location.