Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Gaylord MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I see a transformer has been delivered (but not installed yet) - that’s a good sign!

967662A2-7AA1-42DA-9690-6CB6F0B5F73F.jpeg

The CFO of the Star Ferry Line is a M-X owner, so they should be able to help out.

Another alternative in the Mackinaw City area is just down the road in the town of Cheboygan. At the city pavilion on the main drag through town, there is nose (or tail) in parking along both sides of the pavilion and every other leg of the pavilion has a 14-50 outlet (about six of them). I tried a couple of years ago to get them to put it on PlugShare but they didn’t. But the president of the Chamber of Commerce told me to go ahead and use it (the power is always on and it works fine)

Looks like I'll be able to provide some updates on this site next week. i'll be in Gaylord starting on Sunday night and will be there till Wednesday or Thursday. I plan on coming in from the Traverse City SC and just charging up as much as I can and not expecting this one to be active while I'm there. So it will be a nice bonus if it does get completed.

Also, hopefully the weather is nice and I can get the drone up and get some good shots of this location.

• Informative
Reactions: Bighorn
Tom, it's a little sad that there's still no progress at all since your last post. A transformer in one of the charging stalls is not exactly doing anyone any good. I guess that confirms I should not expect this one to be in service while I am there.

If you do end up swinging thru Gaylord then let me know. I will be working while I'm there but I'm making my own schedule so I do have some flexibility.

Getting closer... as in so, so close right now....

upload_2018-6-10_22-22-2.png

As you see in the picture, the Transformer is in place, the meter is in place, there is power running to the meter....BUT...the stalls are not lit up yet. If they were I could have been the first one to use this one... Hah....

It looks like all that needs to be done is for Tesla to show up and test this thing out. No numbers on the stalls yet, so that generally means they have not been here yet.

Will they be here Monday, or Tuesday, maybe Wednesday... Let's hope. I'll be here for a couple days so I'll keep the updates coming if there are any.

Getting closer... as in so, so close right now....

View attachment 308541

As you see in the picture, the Transformer is in place, the meter is in place, there is power running to the meter....BUT...the stalls are not lit up yet. If they were I could have been the first one to use this one... Hah....

It looks like all that needs to be done is for Tesla to show up and test this thing out. No numbers on the stalls yet, so that generally means they have not been here yet.

Will they be here Monday, or Tuesday, maybe Wednesday... Let's hope. I'll be here for a couple days so I'll keep the updates coming if there are any.

Wow, the transformer is installed! Thanks for the updates - please keep'm coming. We have a trip from Port Huron to SSM coming up June 20 - 25. Crossing my fingers the superchargers are fully operational by then...

Still not alive as of 9PM on Tuesday. I'll make one more stop here around noon tomorrow and then I'm off for home. Thankfully the Fairfield Inn has their charger working or I'd probably be going back thru Cadillac instead of Bay City.

I’ll be rolling through Friday afternoon to check on the status/smash a bottle of champagne over the transformer.

Maybe you'll be the first to use it. I'm 250 miles away now. Didn't even go back and check it out today so for all I know I could be kicking myself for missing it open. However, the rain came in today and with that went my desire to make the trek back to the SC. Well, that and two 12+ hour days at work there. I'm planning to be in Traverse City in August, so I'll catch this one on that trip.

Alright, so I have more details once again... Tesla is waiting for final voltage readings before they can open this one to the public.

All indications are that this site will be open by the end of this month (as I was informed earlier). It might even be open as early as the end of next week...but don't expect it to be working this Friday.

The Tesla website says that this one will be open in Summer 2018 so watch them have it open on June 21st. :)

Interesting that Gaylord has the second longest time in construction for a supercharger in the US, according to supercharger.info, at 255 days. Normal construction times seem to be in the 30-60 day range. I'm guessing that 100+ SC have been completed in the US during the time we've been waiting...
Let's get it done, Tesla!

• Funny
  • Helpful
Reactions: outdoors and jdchi
I'm guessing that 100+ SC have been completed in the US during the time we've been waiting...

Pretty good guess. On September 14, 2017 there were 404 US Superchargers up and running. Today we have 529.

Gaylord would have started construction on Ocober 2nd, if my math is right...so your guesstimate is absolutely backed up by the facts.

It's funny that the Menards turned out to be the hold-up for this whole thing and I don't even recall seeing that when I was there..I'm not even sure if they've broke ground yet.

BTW, there's really not much around this one. I mean, there is a Buffalo Wild Wings within walking distance, but you pass just about every other restaurant by a mile or so on the way here off the highway. It's not a bad location, but you'd better be in the mood for B-dubs if you're planning a lengthy stay here.

Pretty good guess. On September 14, 2017 there were 404 US Superchargers up and running. Today we have 529.

Gaylord would have started construction on Ocober 2nd, if my math is right...so your guesstimate is absolutely backed up by the facts.

It's funny that the Menards turned out to be the hold-up for this whole thing and I don't even recall seeing that when I was there..I'm not even sure if they've broke ground yet.

BTW, there's really not much around this one. I mean, there is a Buffalo Wild Wings within walking distance, but you pass just about every other restaurant by a mile or so on the way here off the highway. It's not a bad location, but you'd better be in the mood for B-dubs if you're planning a lengthy stay here.
I can only hope that all new Menards will be a location for the Super Charger. Rumor has it, that there is a new Menards to be built in Romeo, MI. That would work for me!