TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Geelong, Vic

Discussion in 'Australia' started by moa999, Jan 4, 2021.

1. moa999

moa999 Member

As a Q1 2021 opening, though worth adding a Geelong thread as the site should be set, and possibly beginning to start construction.

Screenshot_20210105-172416.png

Pin on the Tesla site is shown to the SE close to the M1 in Highton, possibly near the Queen's Park Golf course.

Spots close to that that might make sense would include Fyansford Hotel,
    Or further south the Waurn Ponds Shopping Centre

2. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

So this aligns with a speculative thought I had last year when there was chatter of a Geelong supercharger...

Observations:
    * Bendigo supercharger is at Kennington Village
    * Gympie supercharger is at Goldfields Plaza

These and four others are owned by the same group - of the other four, one is Barrabool Hills Plaza. This centre is on the western outskirts of Geelong, with easy access to the highway.

Now the Geelong pin has appeared, and it's not centred on the middle of the city as is usual but rather close to Barrabool Hills Plaza:

upload_2021-1-6_10-44-52.png

More speculation - a fourth centre by the same owner is Colac Plaza. Colac Plaza has had destination chargers for a while. Now Colac has appeared on the supercharger map...

• Like x 2
  3. moa999

moa999 Member

Ah yes. Do recall Barrabool Hills discussion from the main thread. Missed it in my quick scan.

It's a pretty small centre, but equally having a centre owner who has previously worked with Tesla would be a big advantage.

3km off the M1 intersection with Barrabool Rd

• Like x 2
  4. runningmanz

runningmanz New Member

Thats great to see one finally coming to Geelong. Rumors it may be going in at the Homemaker Centre in North Geelong. Would love to see if down near Waurn Ponds though personally.

• Like x 1
  5. bradjc

bradjc Member

Was in the area today so thought I'd go check out the spot under the pin on Tesla's map. Looks like a likely location to me...

IMG_8388.JPG IMG_8387.JPG

• Informative x 3
  6. moa999

moa999 Member

Interesting.
    So golf course carpark.

Checking Google Street View and Satellite, both the green and white cabinets are shown, so not particularly new (other than the fence)

• Like x 1
  7. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

Hmm it looks like a weird spot. Not many facilities around apart from the golf club itself. Will be one to keep an eye on though. My money is on the Barrabool Hills site.

8. bradjc

bradjc Member

Yep, Barrabool Hills is my preference too. Closer to the Hwy and more amenities, seems more practical. Could see it here though. Hopefully we’ll find out soon which is great!

• Like x 2
  9. runningmanz

runningmanz New Member

Anymore news on this one? Any work started down at Queens Park. Seems like a wierd spot though, should be near shops etc.