Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Genoa, OH - Blue Heron & Wyandot Service Plazas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The route from DC to Michigan via turnpike is totally viable - we've done it dozens of times. You'll need to exit the turnpikes occasionally to hit a Supercharger, but the diversions are typically very short.

Currently, the biggest stretch between turnpike Superchargers is Somerset, PA to Genoa, OH at 277 miles. That's a bit of a stretch for a 3 or a Y in all but ideal conditions, so a quick hop off the turnpike for a charge at the Sheetz in Strongsville, OH splits the gap quite nicely.

It's seriously no sweat at all, even in crap weather. Just set your destination in the navigation and let the car plot your course. Make adjustments if you need to - there are several alternate charging options along the way.

My recommended route would be Frederick, MD to North Huntingdon, PA Supercharger (immediately off the PA Turnpike, 176 miles); charge enough to reach Strongsville, OH (short diversion from the Ohio Turnpike, 150 miles); charge enough to reach Genoa, Ohio (Ohio Turnpike, 91 miles);t hen charge enough to arrive at your destination with a comfortable buffer, or enough to reach whatever Supercharger you need in Michigan.
Good to know and thanks for the recommendations!

The route from DC to Michigan via turnpike is totally viable - we've done it dozens of times. You'll need to exit the turnpikes occasionally to hit a Supercharger, but the diversions are typically very short.

Currently, the biggest stretch between turnpike Superchargers is Somerset, PA to Genoa, OH at 277 miles. That's a bit of a stretch for a 3 or a Y in all but ideal conditions, so a quick hop off the turnpike for a charge at the Sheetz in Strongsville, OH splits the gap quite nicely.

It's seriously no sweat at all, even in crap weather. Just set your destination in the navigation and let the car plot your course. Make adjustments if you need to - there are several alternate charging options along the way.

My recommended route would be Frederick, MD to North Huntingdon, PA Supercharger (immediately off the PA Turnpike, 176 miles); charge enough to reach Strongsville, OH (short diversion from the Ohio Turnpike, 150 miles); charge enough to reach Genoa, Ohio (Ohio Turnpike, 91 miles);t hen charge enough to arrive at your destination with a comfortable buffer, or enough to reach whatever Supercharger you need in Michigan.
I'm supposed to drive to Toledo, OH with my partner in a few weeks, and we're in Montgomery County near DC. I figured we can make it to Somerset and charge and perhaps stop in Cranberry and take a lunch break there while we charge, and then stop in Strongsville to charge before we drive into Toledo. He seems to be concerned about exiting the Turnpike, but it seems that Cranberry and Strongsville are not really long diversions. While Blue Heron/Genoa is a great start, I do wish that the Ohio Turnpike had Supercharger stops at the Mahoning Valley/Glacier Hills Service Plaza near the PA/OH border and another at Brady's Leap/Portage in Mantua. The Indiana Toll Road and the PA Turnpike seem to have more superchargers at their Turnpike Service Plazas, so hopefully, the Ohio Turnpike will have more Superchargers.

Reactions: Crew Dragon
Cranberry is kind of slow at 120 kW. They've improved the intersections in that area in recent years, so the diversion isn't as bad as it used to be. Limited options in the area, although there is a Starbucks just across the parking lot. I actually don't mind this location, since it's a great place to walk our dog - lots of grassy areas around the hotel as well as in the field behind the chargers. Pay attention to the way these stations are paired so that you can avoid sharing power with someone. They're labeled 1A 2A 3A 1B 2B 3B instead of the usual 1A 1B 2A 2B etc.

Strongsville was quite busy, although other stations have opened the area, relieving some of that pressure. It's still the Supercharger that most directly serves the turnpike. It's 150 kW and has a Sheetz and a full-service restaurant.

The Somerset service plazas are easy, as they're right on the turnpike. Another option that's only two blocks off the turnpike is North Huntingdon. The weather and your car's range will dictate which stops you'll need to use.

If you have an E-Z Pass, getting on and off the turnpike is a breeze. If you don't have an E-Z Pass, you should get one. Tolls are less expensive and you can avoid some pretty long lines in the cash lanes.

Have a great trip!

Cranberry is kind of slow at 120 kW. They've improved the intersections in that area in recent years, so the diversion isn't as bad as it used to be. Limited options in the area, although there is a Starbucks just across the parking lot. I actually don't mind this location, since it's a great place to walk our dog - lots of grassy areas around the hotel as well as in the field behind the chargers. Pay attention to the way these stations are paired so that you can avoid sharing power with someone. They're labeled 1A 2A 3A 1B 2B 3B instead of the usual 1A 1B 2A 2B etc.

Strongsville was quite busy, although other stations have opened the area, relieving some of that pressure. It's still the Supercharger that most directly serves the turnpike. It's 150 kW and has a Sheetz and a full-service restaurant.

The Somerset service plazas are easy, as they're right on the turnpike. Another option that's only two blocks off the turnpike is North Huntingdon. The weather and your car's range will dictate which stops you'll need to use.

If you have an E-Z Pass, getting on and off the turnpike is a breeze. If you don't have an E-Z Pass, you should get one. Tolls are less expensive and you can avoid some pretty long lines in the cash lanes.

Have a great trip!
If you have an EZPass, the tolls are much less expensive in Pennsylvania.

As for Strongsville, the chargers are on the back side of the building, but you can go inside for something to eat that is made to order.

Have a great trip!
Thank you for this information. It seems that the Sports Grille in Cranberry Township that's relatively close to the Cranberry Supercharger has some very polarizing reviews on Yelp too. I thought that would be a great stop, but I might have to reevaluate my plan I cooked up on ABRP. A long charge at Somerset probably wouldn't be too bad though.

Thank you for this information. It seems that the Sports Grille in Cranberry Township that's relatively close to the Cranberry Supercharger has some very polarizing reviews on Yelp too. I thought that would be a great stop, but I might have to reevaluate my plan I cooked up on ABRP. A long charge at Somerset probably wouldn't be too bad though.

I haven’t been there - didn’t even realize it was there. It might be worth a try. Google reviews are more favorable than Yelp, although I tend to follow Yelp over Google. Food pictures look reasonable.

Twinsberg is about 6 miles off the Turnpike in Ohio. It has a 250kW V3 supercharger. It is in a new Sheetz station as well. I went there twice last week. At most, there were only 3 of us at this 8-stall SC.
It would have been much better though if the Ohio Turnpike had installed a SC over on the east side of the state.

Reactions: LBMagneto
I haven’t been there - didn’t even realize it was there. It might be worth a try. Google reviews are more favorable than Yelp, although I tend to follow Yelp over Google. Food pictures look reasonable.
Try the Rita’s Ice next to Starbucks at the Cranberry 120 kw supercharger. I always stop there in the daytime. Mango ice with custard gelato.

Update on my first long distance EV trip. We left Maryland for Toledo last Thursday and got back tonight. Things went pretty well! I don’t think my better half is totally convinced on EV road tripping due to the time involved charging, but we’re still alive!

We left the Gaithersburg area around 7:30 AM or so last Thursday. I charged the night before so we had about 85% charge when we departed. I stopped and charged at the North Somerset Travel Plaza, Cranberry Township, and Strongsville with Cranberry being the shortest (9 minutes) stop and Strongsville the longest (36 minutes because I wanted a buffer when I reached Toledo). I saw the ones at the Blue Heron/Genoa Service Plazas as well. The deviation from Strongsville was simpler than the Cranberry one, plus there was a ton of traffic by the mall in Cranberry, so that didn’t help. There was a wait at Strongsville. Since it’s pretty close to the airport, there were a lot of guys from Hertz charging the Tesla fleet. Another driver almost got into it when another driver attempted to cut him in line to charge. One charger (1A I think) was out due to some guy ICEing it, but one Tesla driver simply parked in front of that car to charge, blocking the ICEer in.

On the way back, we charged in Twinsburg and Somerset. Only complaint I had was the GPS routed me all along the 480 when I should’ve stayed on the Ohio Turnpike and drove up the eastern leg of the 480. Oh well, at least I got to clinch a new freeway I had never been on before.

Thanks for the tips and advice! I hope to go on another EV trip soon. Also, I think I showed half of Toledo my car and went on test drives with a lot of family and friends and they all seemed to enjoy themselves.

I'm supposed to drive to Toledo, OH with my partner in a few weeks, and we're in Montgomery County near DC. I figured we can make it to Somerset and charge and perhaps stop in Cranberry and take a lunch break there while we charge, and then stop in Strongsville to charge before we drive into Toledo. He seems to be concerned about exiting the Turnpike, but it seems that Cranberry and Strongsville are not really long diversions. While Blue Heron/Genoa is a great start, I do wish that the Ohio Turnpike had Supercharger stops at the Mahoning Valley/Glacier Hills Service Plaza near the PA/OH border and another at Brady's Leap/Portage in Mantua. The Indiana Toll Road and the PA Turnpike seem to have more superchargers at their Turnpike Service Plazas, so hopefully, the Ohio Turnpike will have more Superchargers.
Ohio Turnpike Message about New Springfield Screen Shot 2022-06-22 at 09.18.18.png

I'm looking forward to more stops along the Turnpike too. Here's some information I posted on the Girard thread talking about the Mahoning Valley/Glacier Hills plazas. I actually referenced this Genoa thread a lot while I looked around and when I posted details, thanks for your help here. Older post plus an update from this weekend when I stopped by:
6.22.22 - I've been wondering the same thing and I just contacted the Turnpike a few weeks ago, but didn't have a good place to share it. (See screenshot.) Basically they said they haven't been installed yet, but they'll update their website when they're up and running.

When I stopped by Girard before it opened, I planned on making a loop out to one or both of these service plazas, to see if any construction started. I didn't get to do that yet, I hope I can soon. Then hopefully we can get something added to supercharge.info also, because I'm surprised nothing is marked on the map yet.

I don't know how accurate this is, but it's the best information I found otherwise:
Tesla to build Superchargers at select locations on Ohio Turnpike

"This week, we found out that Tesla and the Turnpike Authority have reached an agreement to build Supercharging stations at a number of other plazas in the state.

These are the locations we know of so far:

• Tiffin River and Indian Meadow service plazas – West Unity
  • Great Lakes and Towpath service plazas – Broadview Heights
  • Mahoning Valley and Glacier Hills service plazas – New Springfield"

7.18.22 - I finally stopped by one of the two plazas we were talking about. Heading to Pittsburgh I stopped at Glacier Hills and looked around a bit. (Since it says opening Q3 on Tesla's website, I figured we should see something starting.) I didn't see any real construction, but maybe these paint markings are a sign of where they plan to install them. It's speculation by me, but based on the construction at the Blue Heron and Wyandot plazas this location makes sense. (I looked at the Mahoning Valley plaza across the turnpike, but didn't see any fences or anything either.)

Let me know what you all think, maybe we can start a separate thread for these upcoming installs?
(New Springfield if we name it how the Genoa one was for Blue Heron and Wyandot)

IMG_3565 23.14.51.jpeg

IMG_3581.jpeg

Original Post: Supercharger - Girard, OH
Update from this weekend: Supercharger - Girard, OH

View attachment 830043
I'm looking forward to more stops along the Turnpike too. Here's some information I posted on the Girard thread talking about the Mahoning Valley/Glacier Hills plazas. I actually referenced this Genoa thread a lot while I looked around and when I posted details, thanks for your help here. Older post plus an update from this weekend when I stopped by:
6.22.22 - I've been wondering the same thing and I just contacted the Turnpike a few weeks ago, but didn't have a good place to share it. (See screenshot.) Basically they said they haven't been installed yet, but they'll update their website when they're up and running.

When I stopped by Girard before it opened, I planned on making a loop out to one or both of these service plazas, to see if any construction started. I didn't get to do that yet, I hope I can soon. Then hopefully we can get something added to supercharge.info also, because I'm surprised nothing is marked on the map yet.

I don't know how accurate this is, but it's the best information I found otherwise:
Tesla to build Superchargers at select locations on Ohio Turnpike

"This week, we found out that Tesla and the Turnpike Authority have reached an agreement to build Supercharging stations at a number of other plazas in the state.

These are the locations we know of so far:

• Tiffin River and Indian Meadow service plazas – West Unity
  • Great Lakes and Towpath service plazas – Broadview Heights
  • Mahoning Valley and Glacier Hills service plazas – New Springfield"

7.18.22 - I finally stopped by one of the two plazas we were talking about. Heading to Pittsburgh I stopped at Glacier Hills and looked around a bit. (Since it says opening Q3 on Tesla's website, I figured we should see something starting.) I didn't see any real construction, but maybe these paint markings are a sign of where they plan to install them. It's speculation by me, but based on the construction at the Blue Heron and Wyandot plazas this location makes sense. (I looked at the Mahoning Valley plaza across the turnpike, but didn't see any fences or anything either.)

Let me know what you all think, maybe we can start a separate thread for these upcoming installs?
(New Springfield if we name it how the Genoa one was for Blue Heron and Wyandot)

View attachment 830046
View attachment 830048

Original Post: Supercharger - Girard, OH
Update from this weekend: Supercharger - Girard, OH

Since we know they’re coming, go ahead and start threads for each of the locations that don’t yet have threads with the title format “Supercharger - City, State - Location”. I’ll be traveling through sometime in the next couple of weeks and can provide updates.

When we see construction, we’ll update supercharge.info. I suppose we could go ahead and put up permit pins, but I’ll wait for you to start threads so I have something to link the discussion to. Tag me once you’ve created the threads.

I agree that the paint marks are probably related to upcoming construction.

Since we know they’re coming, go ahead and start threads for each of the locations that don’t yet have threads with the title format “Supercharger - City, State - Location”. I’ll be traveling through sometime in the next couple of weeks and can provide updates.

When we see construction, we’ll update supercharge.info. I suppose we could go ahead and put up permit pins, but I’ll wait for you to start threads so I have something to link the discussion to. Tag me once you’ve created the threads.

I agree that the paint marks are probably related to upcoming construction.
Hey @Big Earl, thanks for letting me start a couple threads! I learn so much through everyone on here, it's fun to help out when I can. I wanted to get all of these done quicker, but finally got back to them today. The Broadview Heights one doesn't have the same title formatting you mentioned, but I asked the original thread starter @DriveMe to edit it, if possible. I'll be around to help more.

Reactions: Big Earl