Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Georgetown, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah it is. I've noticed that tesla doesn't have superchargers close to any army bases from what I've seen. If you're in killeen, your closest superchargers are the ones in Austin or Waco and by close I mean 48-50 miles. They have a few j-1772 and 13-16 kw tesla chargers in the area. But some of them don't even work and the charging speed is not ideal. So really, you have to have access to home charging to have a smooth experience with a tesla when superchargers aren't in close proximity.
Probably why I've seen only 2 teslas driving around there.
But my daily commute is not a lot and I won't be there for too long so that's a positive.
But they should at least have a supercharger in Belton or Temple.
/agreed

I think Temple would be ideal along with this one that is supposed to happen in Georgetown (allegedly)...

Hello all, first post. Would anyone care to join me in advocating for installation of EV charging infrastructure on Fort Hood and/ or the Killeen area?
Is there a Tesla club or group in the area or anyone want to talk about Tesla and EVs in general?
I have a Model Y on order but keep cancelling the delivery due to lack of charging infrastructure in the area. If Tesla get around to building out the Georgetown location I may be able to finally pull the trigger. Also, is there a way to display posts from most recent rather than oldest on the thread? Cheers.

Hello all, first post. Would anyone care to join me in advocating for installation of EV charging infrastructure on Fort Hood and/ or the Killeen area?
Is there a Tesla club or group in the area or anyone want to talk about Tesla and EVs in general?
I have a Model Y on order but keep cancelling the delivery due to lack of charging infrastructure in the area. If Tesla get around to building out the Georgetown location I may be able to finally pull the trigger. Also, is there a way to display posts from most recent rather than oldest on the thread? Cheers.
Do you have a house that you could install a charge? If you do, local Tesla supercharging may not be that important.

i live in Austin and I’ve only supercharged in Waco and Giddings. Only once in Austin to test it.

I would like a supercharger in temple (or Georgetown) - but lots of places in the country need superchargers.

A bunch of the hotels in the Killeen area have L2 chargers. I know that's not the same thing but they would work as a contingency or while dining, shopping or equiv. The Courtyard Marriott is right next to the mall.

• Helpful
Reactions: CarlS
I'll be passing through Killeen (used to live in Copperas Cove) on my 50 state tour and have no qualms about going that direction with no Supercharger there. From Austin area (Supercharger) to Killeen and then to Cisco (Supercharger) for my next fillup. If you live there, destination charge before you leave will get you to a Supercharger in any direction.
And Georgetown on the horizon will make that even easier.

If you have a house, then it's not a problem. It's a different process for charging an electric car and a new mindset. Even if you don't have a charger installed, you can charge at normal household 110V and gain 50+ miles overnight. If your commute (or average daily errands) is shorter than this, then you will have no problems. Even if it is longer you could be fine, especially if you have a weekend day where you don't drive at all. That could be enough to catch up on any shortage for the week.

I had a Nissan LEAF (84 mile range) for 5 years before getting my Model Y, but I remember those first few months of panic, worrying if I had enough energy to make it across town (DFW) and back. After I got used to it and found local 50kW chargers, for emergencies, everything was "normal" again. It's wonderful to start the day with a "full" charge (I charge to 80% unless I'm headed out of town) and never have to go to gas stations again.

I don't know your situation, so I will add that electric cars are NOT for everyone, yet. There are some circumstances where it would be more hassle than joy and you might be in this situation if you can't charge at home (live in an apartment, for example) and there are no fast chargers nearby.

I hope this helps for whatever you choose to do.

Hey all, thanks for your replies. I am a Reservist, frequently MOBd to Fort Hood. I stay on post because the Candlewood Inn here has decent suites. The hotels off-post that have charging don't have suites with kitchenettes. I realize my situation is sort of unique, but I see quite a few Tesla's around here and talk to lots of folks who are interested in getting EVs. I can't help but think that many people would be interested in and utilize charging infrastructure if it were available.

Hey all, thanks for your replies. I am a Reservist, frequently MOBd to Fort Hood. I stay on post because the Candlewood Inn here has decent suites. The hotels off-post that have charging don't have suites with kitchenettes. I realize my situation is sort of unique, but I see quite a few Tesla's around here and talk to lots of folks who are interested in getting EVs. I can't help but think that many people would be interested in and utilize charging infrastructure if it were available.
Check with the Candlewood Suites location management - they might be interested in installing a charger, especially if they know you want to use one, it is useful to you (and potentially other customers) and you are prepared to leave for a place that has one (and a kitchenette). I think the hotel that just burned down next to Pluckers (BWPlus?) had both.

Reactions: CarlS
There is precedent for fast chargers on military installations. The MWR at Kingsville Naval Air Station has J1772 and CHADEMO chargers.