Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Georgetown, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t know. We really need a 16th Supercharger in the Austin area. /s
We went from that one ass-tier location, always overcrowded Supercharger in the middle of the city and 2 Urban Supercharger locations inexplicably right next to each other to almost able to walk across the entire city on top of the Superchargers without touching the ground.

I'll bet one in Temple would be up and running in 60 days. Austin City leadership[sic] hates Elon cause The Giga is not union shop and he didn't build Giga in Austin city limits. If you're Liberal, you have to hate Tesla at any expense.
The fact there are now more Superchargers around Austin that have all been approved by that same leadership would suggest nothing of the sort.
Also - this location has got nothing to do with Austin and was approved by City of Georgetown.
Much more likely is that there are so many others around now that they don't need this location.
But as this is politics, don't let facts get in the way of a good rant. ;)

But as this is politics, don't let facts get in the way of a good rant. ;)
Yeah, his take is actually doubly dumb as the facts aren't just somewhat inconvenient but actually run counter to his point. Temple was one of the early sites that Tesla was trying to put a supercharger back in 2013, but they ended up having to put it in Waco instead as the city of Temple refused to permit them.

To make it very clear for @RickParker, 9 years > 60 days.

Someone please tell Elon that parents took a pass on purchasing a Model 3 because there are no Superchargers in the US 190 corridor (ie Temple Killeen)
As of about 2019, US 190 is now I-14.

The relevance?

Outside of major US cities, Supercharger installs have been primarily along interstate routes. Not so much secondary roads.

Temple is a glaring omission, supposedly because of a somewhat hostile city council. That will get fixed some day. I'm looking forward to a Supercharger somewhere in the Killeen area. There are a lot of military folks connected to Fort Hood (Killeen) that might be interested in a Tesla. Being on an interstate will help with that.

Reactions: CarlS
Someone please tell Elon that parents took a pass on purchasing a Model 3 because there are no Superchargers in the US 190 corridor (ie Temple Killeen)
It's kinda weird but you don't really need SCs in the city in which you live (because home charging). It's everywhere else... I have lifetime free SCing, but I almost never charge in the Austin area, where I live. Temple is pretty easy to drive past now that RR and Waco have good SC. Also Centerville and Madisonville are online, which helps a lot. Temple is getting less relevant. I'd rather see more out west, maybe around big bend...Alpine, Marfa, or Del Rio.

Reactions: CarlS and Cigar Man
On my 45 state tour last year I left the Waco SC thru Killeen to the Cisco charger with no problem. But Copperas Cove (where I was visiting old high school friends) seems amenable to putting in a SC. Right now I-13 ends there (most travelers are just heading to Ft Hood). But someday it will continue. Point is, I don't see an urgent need for a Superchager in this corridor.

Reactions: Jmolloy3
It's kinda weird but you don't really need SCs in the city in which you live (because home charging). It's everywhere else... I have lifetime free SCing, but I almost never charge in the Austin area, where I live. Temple is pretty easy to drive past now that RR and Waco have good SC. Also Centerville and Madisonville are online, which helps a lot. Temple is getting less relevant. I'd rather see more out west, maybe around big bend...Alpine, Marfa, or Del Rio.
I found this about Buc Ees' and Tesla's relationship. From 11/21. Tesla to add 26 new Superchargers at Buc-ee's locations in new partnership

Reactions: Jmolloy3
I also had noticed a few weeks ago the original city permit went from "Expired" to "Ready to Issue" but figured it was an automatic script or something else.

1665159557788.png

Wow 16 chargers plus 4 V3 cabinets! Looks pretty tight but I guess it is kind of a sectioned off part of the parking lot. Convenient to Starbucks though.

Oh, I don’t think I’m looking at the right section. North side of McAllister’s and Specs? The far section of the parking lot?

Last edited:
Wow 16 chargers plus 4 V3 cabinets! Looks pretty tight but I guess it is kind of a sectioned off part of the parking lot. Convenient to Starbucks though.

Oh, I don’t think I’m looking at the right section. North side of McAllister’s and Specs? The far section of the parking lot?
Yes, that section of the parking lot is always very busy. There will be bad ICE problems.