Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger getting mostly Chademo speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday my wife was at the Sandy, OR Supercharger and was only getting mid 40kW at a 50% SoC (I normally average 70-80kW at this SoC). Only one other car there and on a different pair. MS75 with 11k miles and only a handful of Supercharges done, so it should be nowhere near the limit. My previous 2013 MS60 had way more charging done and wasn't nearly that slow, even with a smaller battery! I just assumed it was throttled because it was hot out and she was sitting in the car with the AC on. The car also uses the AC to cool the batteries during fast charging, so I assumed it throttled due to having to split the AC load. Now I'm a bit concerned that may not be the case and something else is going on here. Maybe that's the reason for the latest firmware upgrade that just came out?

I'll be going to Whistler, BC this weekend, so I'll be testing at 3 more locations. Hopefully this will resolve itself. But if it continues to happen at other locations, I'll be calling Tesla as well.
Saw a similar low charge situation in one of Bjorn Nyla said videos. He unplugged re plugged, no change. Then moved to another unshared stall and viola back to 97kwh rate. So that seems worth doing. Likely the supercharger she have thermal issues.

Supercharged today on the way home from PDX at the Seaside, OR location. Arrived with 10% SoC. After a very slow ramp up period, I touched 81kW, which immediately plummeted back to the 50kW range when an arriving Model S hooked up to my stack. I moved to a new stack and touched 80kW again for a few minutes but quickly dropped back to 50kW range and stayed there, even though no Tesla was sharing with me. Took me 30 minutes to add 37%, at which point I gave up and moved on.

Really jealous of you guys who can consistently charge at near advertised rates. Hope it lasts for you. And if you do have issues, hope you get a more satisfactory response from Tesla than the one I've been issued.
Has Tesla offered to swap battery packs or on board chargers in an attempt to diagnose the issue? Seems like they could at least have a Supercharger bay at the service center to determine what the problem is.