Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger getting mostly Chademo speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All of this discussion of reduced SC charging rates is very disconcerting. With my HW1 90D, I did a 2K mile trip and often had charging rates up over 300 MPH while in the "sweet spot", occasionally had a slow charger resolved by moving to another one.

Now with a newly delivered HW2 90D, I guess I need to visit a SC to make sure the vehicle won't suffer from reduced charging rates, as I am planning another 2K mile trip this summer.

It is already a challenge to factor in the additional 10-15% charging time when on road trips, presuming you can travel the most direct routes, but slower charging rates will just plain hurt.

Nothing would surprise me at this point if Tesla allowed the SC charging rates to be reduced after at first allowing higher rates, to save costs or some other reason.

With their stock price as it is, you'd think they'd care about PR, but who can really say?

Are you saying it's more than a 70 in reality? My understanding was that 70's couldn't hit 100kW, so I am confused why I can, even though there's no outward indication that the battery is anything but a 70 kWh one (other than its performance).

No, I am saying that the 75kWh packs can only charge at 100kW. (No matter if they are software limited to 60kWh or 70kWh, or are fully available as 75kWh packs.)

I think the real 70kW packs can charge faster. (But I'm not positive.)

I take delivery of my S 90D next week. What doesn't make sense to me is that with all of this talk about SC overcrowding, why would they purposely make the charging process take longer than it should? You'd think their incentive would be to get people in and out as quickly as possible... and if they're as careless of the owners as some in this forum think they are, they wouldn't care about long-term battery damage by overcharging. There are just too many conflicting stories that I'm seeing... I'm not doubting anyone, but it's the motives and circumstances I'm questioning.

I take delivery of my S 90D next week. What doesn't make sense to me is that with all of this talk about SC overcrowding, why would they purposely make the charging process take longer than it should? You'd think their incentive would be to get people in and out as quickly as possible... and if they're as careless of the owners as some in this forum think they are, they wouldn't care about long-term battery damage by overcharging. There are just too many conflicting stories that I'm seeing... I'm not doubting anyone, but it's the motives and circumstances I'm questioning.

I think you're assuming tesla is throttling to be punative somehow. That's not the case. Tesla is throttling to protect the longevity and capacity of the battery packs. Of course they want people to charge as quickly as possible. It would save them a ton of money in infrastructure not to mention make a better product.

Just to be clear time based would mean it isn't based on the number of kWhs charged. 1 hour at 50kW is 50kWhs, but 30 minutes at 100kW is also 50kWhs. Depending on how/where you charge that could be better or worse. You normally spend longer on a CHAdeMO charger, so that is bad. Also, if you Supercharge from 80%-100% you really get dinged on the time based vs. kWhs based version.

Yes, I mean a count of kWh charged, not a count of actual units of time. I should have been more clear.

I take delivery of my S 90D next week. What doesn't make sense to me is that with all of this talk about SC overcrowding, why would they purposely make the charging process take longer than it should?
I disagree with the premise of your question. Tesla is not purposely making the charging process take longer than it should. Sometimes it's slower because of supercharger maintenance issues. Tesla has said it's slightly slower on a small number of cars with high amount of DC charging, to protect the battery (and only when arriving with a very low state of charge). And sometimes we don't know why it's slower, but no one except a few conspiracy theorists think it's purposely slower.

• Disagree
Reactions: GWord and NerdUno
Just to put a little balance in this thread for potential Tesla owners, I wish to say: Supercharging is nice, but the average Tesla driver rarely uses it. I drove over 200 miles Tuesday, to Berkeley and back, and around to visit kids, etc., etc. I never worried at all about charge. The dash figures out how much charge you have left, and is reliable. Any experience, and the driver figures out what he/she can or cannot do. Supercharging happens on trips, and the BY FAR BIGGEST problem is that people are inflexible and all have to, must charge all at the same time. If one can leave the hotel and drive to arrive at something other than Friday noon to Sunday noon, or at evening, there is no problem. But who can do that??

Me. I don't wait at superchargers. Supercharging is not slow. And mostly, nearly always, most every night, I charge at home. Just like everyone else.

Owning an Electric, especially a Tesla, is a lot of benefits with hardly any downside. Just sayin'.

I think you're assuming tesla is throttling to be punative somehow. That's not the case. Tesla is throttling to protect the longevity and capacity of the battery packs. Of course they want people to charge as quickly as possible. It would save them a ton of money in infrastructure not to mention make a better product.

Just wish they would be more transparent about the limit is all. You can argue that they didn't know they would have to throttle speeds until relatively recently. Maybe. But even so, now they DO know, and they MUST have SOME IDEA of when that threshold is triggered. Why won't they make an announcement about it?

And if it's really true, based on the tests of owners, that certain cars are capable of Supercharging at different speeds, why won't Tesla be honest with us about that as well? Not a damn word is mentioned about it on the design studio or the supercharger page. It sounds uniform across all batteries. But it's not. Just tell us... FFS

Reactions: Electricfan
And if it's really true, based on the tests of owners, that certain cars are capable of Supercharging at different speeds, why won't Tesla be honest with us about that as well? Not a damn word is mentioned about it on the design studio or the supercharger page. It sounds uniform across all batteries. But it's not. Just tell us... FFS

They used to have a lot more information on their site about Supercharging. And in the estimates they made it clear that the estimate applied to a 90D, and that other models would be different. Now they don't give you any details. It doesn't says charges to 50% in 40 minutes, or anything. It just says that most of the time you would need to charge for about 30 minutes. Very information free, so now people can't complain about not meeting the advertised specs, as there are none. (Unless I am being blind.)

• Informative
Reactions: Electricfan
Are you saying it's more than a 70 in reality? My understanding was that 70's couldn't hit 100kW, so I am confused why I can, even though there's no outward indication that the battery is anything but a 70 kWh one (other than its performance).

To give some more detail: the 70kWh packs use the old chemistry that the 60kWh and 85kWh packs used. The 75kWh packs use the same chemistry as the 90kWh packs. (Which is probably why they both are getting throttles after "excessive" DCFCing.)

I can understand throttling the charging speed after excessive DC charging occurred, even though I don't necessarily agree with it, especially without up front notice to owners.

But I only charge on a 14-50 at home in my garage. I used maybe 10 Supercharger sessions altogether since I got the car about a year ago. Yet my charging speed on my recent road trip went down do around 50kw, too.

There has to be something else in play here.

Reactions: Kutu and Brovane

That's my point. You read these threads talking about what is happening, and the assumption is that Tesla is doing it to be punitive. I can't see any reason why, as it's against their motivations. I'd like to know more about who/how many cars are legitimately affected, as I have a SC halfway between work and home and originally intended to stop at a SC like I would a gas station.... I mean, I've got "free unlimited Supercharging", and I don't see any reason why I wouldn't use it as such.

Ok, just got off the phone with Tesla engineering. Here is my log...

06-22-2017 - 46k miles - David, Tesla engineer, called me and said that my charge rate was being limited due to too many DCFC sessions. I explained that I have less than 100 DCFC sessions and asked what the limit was before Tesla begins throttling charge rates. He said that Tesla doesn't make the number known to the public. I then inquired about my average speeds being around 50kW. David said he didn't know why that would be but to keep an eye on the car and contact Tesla if an error appears during Supercharging. David said the car is good at self-diagnosis and it will let me know if anything is wrong.

Overall, disappointing, dismissive response.

That's true. The car is good at self diagnosis; unfortunately most errors are hidden and not exposed to the user. Call Tesla and have them check all active alerts next time you are charging.

That's true. The car is good at self diagnosis; unfortunately most errors are hidden and not exposed to the user. Call Tesla and have them check all active alerts next time you are charging.

I've done that multiple times. I am always told that they don't know why it's charging slow and they will forward my case to engineering. Then I never hear anything unless I call 3+ more times and annoy them until someone gives me an answer. Which so far has been my car is being throttled due to too much DCFQing. Apparently averaging 50kW is within spec.