Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger getting mostly Chademo speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering how the new design or cells or whatever have any real-world improvement at all over the older ones.
The new chemistry gave slightly better energy density: went from 85 to 90kWh with same amount of cells (and 70kWh went to 75kWh). The trade off is silicon anodes tend to have slightly worse cycle life (they also charge more slowly). Tesla used partial silicon (instead of full) to try to mitigate the trade-offs, but they will still be there.

Discussed here 2 years ago when chemistry change was announced:
Press Conference July 17

Side point, in searching my old posts, I realize I predicted the 90kWh battery two months before it was announced.
100D or 105D speculation

Last edited:
How do you know that you haven't just hit a bad SC outlet?

During prior road trips, I would notice a much lower then anticipated charging rate, so I would move to another number and the charging rates wold be sometimes the same, but more often better.

Now if Tesla confirms your are being reduced due to many prior cycles, that's one thing, but I think there is much variability between SC outlets... only one way to know....

I simply disagree with this mythical 100kw max for smaller packs. I have 70s and routinely on trips run it to 0 miles range left. It always churches at 110-119 KW until it starts tapering. Some chargers I have found maintain higher KW than others. As I always make the same trip to Orlando I know which chargers are usually slow and which ones are faster.
The old 70 batteries could do that (118kW) but the new 70 batteries (locked 75) can do 100 max.

I stopped at Burlington, WA, twice this weekend, along with Squamish, BC, once with my MS 75, nee 60, and was getting ~38 kW consistently at both (about ~90-100 A, ~385-400V). (Nobody paired with me; almost all slots empty. Charging from low or mid-levels, which made no difference to the rate.) Perhaps those are actually slower older chargers with lower limits, but that still seems low.

It pretty much kept up at that rate even up to 90% and above, which is consistent with a low charge rate. Temperates were moderate (upper 70s to mid 80s).

Yesterday my wife was at the Sandy, OR Supercharger and was only getting mid 40kW at a 50% SoC (I normally average 70-80kW at this SoC). Only one other car there and on a different pair. MS75 with 11k miles and only a handful of Supercharges done, so it should be nowhere near the limit. My previous 2013 MS60 had way more charging done and wasn't nearly that slow, even with a smaller battery! I just assumed it was throttled because it was hot out and she was sitting in the car with the AC on. The car also uses the AC to cool the batteries during fast charging, so I assumed it throttled due to having to split the AC load. Now I'm a bit concerned that may not be the case and something else is going on here. Maybe that's the reason for the latest firmware upgrade that just came out?

I'll be going to Whistler, BC this weekend, so I'll be testing at 3 more locations. Hopefully this will resolve itself. But if it continues to happen at other locations, I'll be calling Tesla as well.

I stopped at Burlington, WA, twice this weekend, along with Squamish, BC, once with my MS 75, nee 60, and was getting ~38 kW consistently at both (about ~90-100 A, ~385-400V). (Nobody paired with me; almost all slots empty. Charging from low or mid-levels, which made no difference to the rate.) Perhaps those are actually slower older chargers with lower limits, but that still seems low.

It pretty much kept up at that rate even up to 90% and above, which is consistent with a low charge rate. Temperates were moderate (upper 70s to mid 80s).

Yesterday my wife was at the Sandy, OR Supercharger and was only getting mid 40kW at a 50% SoC (I normally average 70-80kW at this SoC). Only one other car there and on a different pair. MS75 with 11k miles and only a handful of Supercharges done, so it should be nowhere near the limit. My previous 2013 MS60 had way more charging done and wasn't nearly that slow, even with a smaller battery! I just assumed it was throttled because it was hot out and she was sitting in the car with the AC on. The car also uses the AC to cool the batteries during fast charging, so I assumed it throttled due to having to split the AC load. Now I'm a bit concerned that may not be the case and something else is going on here. Maybe that's the reason for the latest firmware upgrade that just came out?

I'll be going to Whistler, BC this weekend, so I'll be testing at 3 more locations. Hopefully this will resolve itself. But if it continues to happen at other locations, I'll be calling Tesla as well.

Both of these seem like a scenario covered by basic troubleshooting steps. When this happens, you should move to a different spot. This is very likely the charger getting stuck in the balancing mode (acting like there's still another car at the other pair).

That's the problem with threads like this. The OP specifically said he did not want to discuss basic troubleshooting steps, but people are drawn here for basic scenarios that such steps would cover.

The counter discussed targets the peak charge speed, and doesn't bring it down that low (definitely not half speed as reported in these instances).

Last edited:
Both of these seem like a scenario covered by basic troubleshooting steps. When this happens, you should move to a different spot. This is very likely the charger getting stuck in the balancing mode (acting like there's still another car at the other pair).

That's the problem with thread like this. The OP specifically said he did not want to discuss basic troubleshooting steps, but people are drawn here for basic scenarios that such steps would cover. The counter discuss targets the peak charge speed, and doesn't bring it down that low (definitely not half speed as reported in these instances).
As I pointed out earlier, I did that on each SC on my 2500 miles trip. On the second charger I switched to, it would go higher (as high as 98kw) for a few minutes and then go down again to around 50kw. Even on SOC's in the 20-40% range.

As I pointed out earlier, I did that on each SC on my 2500 miles trip. On the second charger I switched to, it would go higher (as high as 98kw) for a few minutes and then go down again to around 50kw. Even on SOC's in the 20-40% range.
Yes, but the difference is they didn't try a different stall to see if speeds are bumped up, so it's impossible to tell.

Now I'm definitely going to look hard at the Bolt for her and may not go with another Tesla if other companies can reach parity in performance, range, and styling

What about fast charging? It would be good to have competition but I can't travel relying on Chademo or CCS. There's too few of them and often they are down and L2 is far too slow. So until there's another company that is building banks of maintained fast chargers I don't see the Bolt or any other long range EV that comes out as competition.

I take delivery of my S 90D next week. What doesn't make sense to me is that with all of this talk about SC overcrowding, why would they purposely make the charging process take longer than it should? You'd think their incentive would be to get people in and out as quickly as possible... and if they're as careless of the owners as some in this forum think they are, they wouldn't care about long-term battery damage by overcharging. There are just too many conflicting stories that I'm seeing... I'm not doubting anyone, but it's the motives and circumstances I'm questioning.

People on the forum tend to blow things out of proportion. I supercharge twice most weekends to and from my cabin. I've been watching the rate of charge more closely only because of this issue but in reality it changes my travels very little. I bet the vast majority of Tesla owners don't even know about this issue. Enjoy your vehicle when you get it and don't sweat the small stuff.

I have a SC halfway between work and home and originally intended to stop at a SC like I would a gas station.... I mean, I've got "free unlimited Supercharging", and I don't see any reason why I wouldn't use it as such.

Because it's a waste of time if you can plug in at home. The savings isn't worth it to me when I could be home with my family, or working, or playing, etc. There's also the issue of keeping them free for travellers but even assuming you are doing it at one that is never full, it sure seems like a waste of time to me. One of the best things about these vehicles is no longer having to go to a fuelling station for our daily commutes since the fuel we use is delivered to our homes. I've been driving by the local gas station I used to stop at for over three years now with such pleasure. If I just turned that into a much longer supercharger stop it would defeat one of the greatest benefits of the vehicle.

FWIW, I experienced similiar in a P90D recently in Georgia and Florida. I opened a case and was told the superchargers that I happened to use were running in degraded mode. It wasn't my car. I didn't get any more details; if it was heat related (the SpC cabinets also have thermal protections, just like the battery packs), maintenance issue, or a peak power limit (this has happened in Cali).

NC, SC, and Virginia were all fine. What was particularly strange was that peak power would initially climb near the expected range but then drop back down after 30 seconds. This made me think is was a thermal issue.

That's what I'm told about every supercharger that I visit in nearly a year now.

• Funny
Reactions: Matias
I think you're assuming tesla is throttling to be punative somehow. That's not the case. Tesla is throttling to protect the longevity and capacity of the battery packs. Of course they want people to charge as quickly as possible. It would save them a ton of money in infrastructure not to mention make a better product.

If that's what they were really doing then they could charge faster at SCs that are super crowded and slower when getting the car out sooner won't make any difference on wait times.

That's the problem with threads like this. The OP specifically said he did not want to discuss basic troubleshooting steps, but people are drawn here for basic scenarios that such steps would cover.

The counter discussed targets the peak charge speed, and doesn't bring it down that low (definitely not half speed as reported in these instances).

I was merely expressing my experience that low charge rates happen. It was plenty fast for my needs, and I wasn't complaining. :p That said, Burlington exhibited the same thing on two different chargers at two different times.

Perhaps the Dodge Charger ICE monster sitting in one of the SC spots both times in Burlington sucking up all the juice (two different days). :D

Ok so I did some more testing over the last few days.

Today I rolled in at the Aberdeen supercharger with 1%. I wanted to see how close I could get to Tesla's claim of 80% in 40 minutes per their website.

No other Teslas at the station, car well warmed up, and outside temps in the 70s. Relatively new Supercharger. Cables were not warm. I moved to three different stalls during charging and deducted the time it took to move and hook up/ramp up again from my measurements.

It took me about 60 minutes to hit 80%.

Last I spoke to Tesla staff about this issue, the engineer informed me "this should only add about 5 minutes maximum to your Supercharging sessions." I guess that's the PR line they've been instructed to repeat, regardless of its validity.

15-20 shortfall is significant. I was just happy this time I was able to charge around 80kW for a good chunk of the session, which I haven't been able to experience for any length of time since early last fall.