Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger getting mostly Chademo speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The value you give as "max kW" appears to be computed by multiplying the max amperage for the session by the max voltage for the session. It's not possible to compute the peak kW in this way, as amperage and voltage peak at different times. The voltage increases with SOC, and the amperage is higher at lower SOC. If you still have the full original data series, you can compute the kW at each data point and find the highest one.

Last week I had noticed the same thing as the OP where the charge go up to around 90 then immediately drop to 50 twice. Today I went back to the SC after emailing Tesla (they stated they have a response for me tomorrow) and the charge is mostly 90 for the first 30-40%. So no exactly sure how's Tesla determining this, I supercharge about 2 times a week. The thing I notice is even with the charge kw drop the estimated time remind the same but actual time is longer.

After my experience with low Supercharger charge rates and reading about others, it seems that Tesla's new chemistry for the 90 kWH battery pack actually hurt us compared to the 85 kWH charge rates. I think most, like myself, always charge between 20-80%; that is the range that seems impacted the most with low charge rates! The rated difference between the 90 and the 85 does not make up for that.

• Informative
Reactions: Snerruc
The value you give as "max kW" appears to be computed by multiplying the max amperage for the session by the max voltage for the session. It's not possible to compute the peak kW in this way, as amperage and voltage peak at different times. The voltage increases with SOC, and the amperage is higher at lower SOC. If you still have the full original data series, you can compute the kW at each data point and find the highest one.
Good catch. Corrected below (though I am still seeing values > 100).

I added a column to the original data set that is charge_rate * charger_voltage / 1000. This is calculated for each row (which is data pulled from the car every 1 minute). Below summary pivot table shows the max of those values.

Screenshot 2017-07-08 10.36.46.png

i thought the old 70's were actually 72 - the 60's were 62 - and the upgraded 60/75 became (the same) 72 - even tho it's now called a 75. ie; you only get an extra 10kWh from the upgrade.
no?

Nope, the 60kWh/70kWh packs used the same cells as in the 85kWh packs, but the 60 kWh packs had modules with missing cells, the 70kWh pack used the exact same, full, modules, as the 85kWh packs. The 75kWh packs used the same cells/modules as are in the 90kWh packs, with the new formulation of adding silicone.

i thought the old 70's were actually 72 - the 60's were 62 - and the upgraded 60/75 became (the same) 72
- even tho it's now called a 75. ie; you only get an extra 10kWh from the upgrade. no?

Nope, the 60kWh used modules with missing cells, the 70kWh pack used the same modules, with no missing cells, as the 85kWh packs. The 75kWh packs used the same cells/modules as are in the 90kWh packs, with the new formulation of adding silicone.

Thanks to wk057 for the interesting data on the Actual Battery capacities... :cool:

- 60 kWh (orig) was 61 kWh total, 59 kWh usable
- 80's (renamed 85) were 81 total, 78 usable
- 85's (renamed 90) are 86 total, 82 usable
- 70 (orig) was 71 total, 69 usable
- 75's are 75 total, 73 usable
- 65 (renamed 60) are 62 usable
- 70 (new) are 66 usable

In general, what you need to calculate capacity are the exact static rated mile values for your type of configuration. And actually, they're pretty simple. Here they are:

o All RWD Cars (non-Performance and Performance): 295 Wh/Rated Mile
o Pre-refresh Model S Dual Motor, non-Performance: 290 Wh/Rated Mile
o Refresh Model S Dual Motor, non-Performance: 285 Wh/Rated Mile
o All Model X Dual Motor, non-Performance: 320 Wh/Rated Mile
o All Model S Dual Motor, Performance: 310 Wh/Rated Mile
o All Model X Dual Motor, Performance: 333 Wh/Rated Mile

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TEG
o All RWD Cars (non-Performance and Performance): 295 Wh/Rated Mile
o Pre-refresh Model S Dual Motor, non-Performance: 290 Wh/Rated Mile
o Refresh Model S Dual Motor, non-Performance: 285 Wh/Rated Mile
o All Model X Dual Motor, non-Performance: 320 Wh/Rated Mile
o All Model S Dual Motor, Performance: 310 Wh/Rated Mile
o All Model X Dual Motor, Performance: 333 Wh/Rated Mile

I think all of these base figures have been just changed in the latest FW update (17.26.76), resulting in displaying less available miles. @verygreen has more info but here is his post about Model X:

So I checked on the range estimation for X 100D. They just changed the definition of 1 rated mile from 324 Wh to 332 Wh.
So basically with the same battery state ~2.5% less rated miles left are reported.

• Informative
Reactions: Mattzilla
You can add a 3-month old 100D to the list of cars impacted by the new chemistry. I've Supercharged for about 6000 miles on road trips so far and have the exact same issue. 30 minutes extra at each stop on a cross-country road trip is painful. Typical kW is around 50-60. Tesla service says it's normal and "not all cars change the same" when I reference my previous P85. If I could go back and keep my P85 that never had a Supercharging problem, I would strongly consider it. I'm hopeful that this will be addressed, and I have not Supercharged since the latest FW update.

You can add a 3-month old 100D to the list of cars impacted by the new chemistry. I've Supercharged for about 6000 miles on road trips so far and have the exact same issue. 30 minutes extra at each stop on a cross-country road trip is painful. Typical kW is around 50-60. Tesla service says it's normal and "not all cars change the same" when I reference my previous P85. If I could go back and keep my P85 that never had a Supercharging problem, I would strongly consider it. I'm hopeful that this will be addressed, and I have not Supercharged since the latest FW update.

I double it will be addressed with any significance until more owners make some noise about it. My suspicion is many folks are being limited without realizing it.

50-60 kW typical charge rate is a much greater reduction than what has been reported for the 90 kWh. Typically, those affected have only seen their max rate drop to ~95 kW.

After having normal +70kW charge rates on my trip to Whistler, the following week when I returned from the beach, I got sub 50kW rates again. I was away from the car, so I couldn't move it, but was monitoring on my app. It started fine and then throttled real quick and even just stopped! I restarted via the app and it did the same thing with going to 80+ and then back down to the 40s. Fortunately I didn't need much charge, so it didn't hold me up. But when I unplugged the car (while charging in the low 40s), the plug was abnormally hot! So it's pretty clear I was being throttled due to a high resistance connection. Looks like I need to clean the charging port and keep some contact cleaner with me when traveling in case I get stuck with a dirty SC plug too.

I have a S75, April 2017 build. I just came back from a road trip and had normal charging rates, starting at 94kw, however, on my most recent supercharges, I noticed that it gets stuck at 50kw, not one mile above, It's kind of annoying especially since it will make a second road trip longer due to the extra time spent at SCs.

As a followup, I Supercharged for the first time since the 17.26.76 update and I received a full 115kW while charging, which was a nice surprise. I'm not sure if the software update addressed anything or if it was the fact that I arrived with 100 miles of rated range (on trips I arrive close to zero). Has anyone else charged since the update?

• Informative
Reactions: Alex D
As a followup, I Supercharged for the first time since the 17.26.76 update and I received a full 115kW while charging, which was a nice surprise. I'm not sure if the software update addressed anything or if it was the fact that I arrived with 100 miles of rated range (on trips I arrive close to zero). Has anyone else charged since the update?

That's interesting. I will be Supercharging in a few days, I'll post back if I notice a difference.

You know now that you mentioned it, I was in vacation for a while and when I came charged twice at SC the speed was mostly Chademo speed. Then I have the upgrade and the speed was back to normal but in between that I have the software upgrade so maybe that's part of the solution.