Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Gillette, WY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's Supercharger and Find Us maps both show Gillette as being live. I assume they are premature (?).

I saw that at supercharge.info, but I texted the Hampton owner tonight and he said another month. Bizarre.

- - - Updated - - -

Hampton owner was there this morning and it wasn't active--he's as surprised as anyone if it's actually active. No emails have come from Tesla to the locals. Maybe worth a drive over this weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

He said they were super secretive. I know the activation team totally misled me as to when Sheridan would go live (I saw them working at the site)--they said it could be days or weeks. It was hours.

Last edited:
We traveled from Butte, MT to Wheatland, WY on the first. Skipped a few of the Superchargers, but did hit Gillette and Lusk. Gillette was a great location with plenty of room. The closest eatery was Pizza Hut, but others were within walking distance. Lusk was a disaster. Very difficult to park with all the large pickups in the lot. It was opening day of Open Season. There was no place to stay in any place in town. We had to walk about 4 blocks down to a Sinclair station to restrooms and to get a snack.

@dmckinstry, I definitely agree with your assessment of Lusk. We found a Subway a few blocks away, and that was it. (There's a drive-in right behind the motel that hosts the SC, but it was closed for the season when we were there on August 5th, which sure seemed early to me, especially since the place was awash with bikers out of Sturgis.)

@dmckinstry, I definitely agree with your assessment of Lusk. We found a Subway a few blocks away, and that was it. (There's a drive-in right behind the motel that hosts the SC, but it was closed for the season when we were there on August 5th, which sure seemed early to me, especially since the place was awash with bikers out of Sturgis.)
Maybe that's why they were closed. [emoji6]

On a recent swing through the northern Rockies, I noted that the wind was a factor in determining how long to charge. I got chased out of the Sheridan supercharger parking lot by a guy painting new lane markers, but heading eastward, I encountered strong winds, so I couldn't drive the speed limit. Warning to those traveling in these areas...take wind into account, and perhaps charge more than you might otherwise.

On a recent swing through the northern Rockies, I noted that the wind was a factor in determining how long to charge. I got chased out of the Sheridan supercharger parking lot by a guy painting new lane markers, but heading eastward, I encountered strong winds, so I couldn't drive the speed limit. Warning to those traveling in these areas...take wind into account, and perhaps charge more than you might otherwise.

The supercharger page on NAV showed that Sheridan had limited service from Oct 15-17 which I was trying to figure out. The message persisted on Oct 18 when I went to check, and everything appeared fine and I was able to charge. I did remember seeing the back area roped off for some sort of construction a few days ago, so that must have been it.

Wind is always to be considered around here--I usually keep a 30%SOC buffer. This is especially true in parts of the west where the NAV doesn't seem to account for the 80 MPH speed limit. I've done experiments with predicted efficiency and the NAV sometimes doesn't match actual Wh/m figures until you slow to 55-60 MPH. I've let Tesla central know how far off their speed mapping seems to be.

The discordance with the 80+ speed limit in WY was surely my experience today, +/- wind. In NV going Westward, it seemed to work OK. Thanks for contacting Tesla on this. They should probably build in a extra safety factor for speed and wind in the wind in the mountain west and perhaps the Plains....won't be until spring until I can check out the Plains part ; )

Thanks for all you've done for our community, Bighorn.

The supercharger page on NAV showed that Sheridan had limited service from Oct 15-17 which I was trying to figure out. The message persisted on Oct 18 when I went to check, and everything appeared fine and I was able to charge. I did remember seeing the back area roped off for some sort of construction a few days ago, so that must have been it.

Wind is always to be considered around here--I usually keep a 30%SOC buffer. This is especially true in parts of the west where the NAV doesn't seem to account for the 80 MPH speed limit. I've done experiments with predicted efficiency and the NAV sometimes doesn't match actual Wh/m figures until you slow to 55-60 MPH. I've let Tesla central know how far off their speed mapping seems to be.

Thanks Bighorn!

To all, remember that EV Trip Planner does a pretty good job if you put in reasonable parameters. There is no input for wind speed, but you can get close by upping the speed multiplier.

Leave yourself margin for wind and weather!

Thanks Bighorn!

To all, remember that EV Trip Planner does a pretty good job if you put in reasonable parameters. There is no input for wind speed, but you can get close by upping the speed multiplier.

Leave yourself margin for wind and weather!

True that. I remember cruising at 75 upwind into the rain in the middle of dark dark Wyoming two days after I got my MS, watching the rated range evaporate 40% faster than distance to destination. Thinking: "Sooooo, THIS is what range anxiety feels like."

One other thing to be aware of--I discovered this last night while playing around with Trip Planner. Route planning going east or south from Sheridan, WY did not recognize the Gillette SC as a place to stop for a charge. It would always directly route to Rapid City, despite insufficient charge, and take a much longer route to Lusk. Even more bizarrely, when I put in Rapid City as a destination, it took me directly to Rapid City arriving with -12% then onto Murdo, SD before returning to Rapid City. I wrote to Tesla about these issues.