Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Gilroy, CA (16 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I appreciate the idea, Francis ... but what about the Model S owners who do not frequent TMC? Doesn't seem right that they can be bumped by someone who arrives after them, just because they entered their arrival time.

- - - Updated - - -

In fact, I'll go a step further. While a nice idea ... Tesla Motors owns the superchargers and would need to implement a system such as this. Otherwise it's like deciding a restaurant is too busy and setting up a separate reservation system for the restaurant. Not sure they'd be okay with that ... fair?

I'd like to see Tesla add a reservation system. Tesla has already stated the nav will be able to create routes via SCs. The system knows where you are, your SOC, how fast you're traveling, and when you're going to get there. The reservations could likely be enforced by the SCs. An app in the car could graphically show you which SC you're supposed to pull into. The app can be automatically brought up based on geo location. In the case of a queue, the same app can show you your position in line, and if you leave the car the app can send an alert 10-15 minutes before the car currently in your slot is expected to finish charging. The data is all here, it's just a matter of putting it together.

Yes, a reservation system would be nice. At the very least it allows you to plan.

There's still the problem of people who are just at the mall using the chargers vs. people on long trips. I think the only "solution" to that is more level 2 stations and a sticker on the supercharger telling people to use the level 2s if possible.

My vote is for more superchargers!
10-20 spots should do:biggrin:

Although I also agree with not using the superchargers just because they're free, only use them if needed.

Living in Sacramento, I'd never use the Folsom SC, there's no reason to, that's one of the great perks of this car (not having to visit refueling stations)

That was me, to the left of the first supercharger! I pulled in just as the fourth car took the last available charger. No big deal, got lunch at In and Out, came back and a spot opened up in a few minutes.

Not road tripping today, just drove down from the peninsula to do my first supercharge and make sure that all my hardware was working.

My vote is for more superchargers!
10-20 spots should do:biggrin:

Although I also agree with not using the superchargers just because they're free, only use them if needed.

Living in Sacramento, I'd never use the Folsom SC, there's no reason to, that's one of the great perks of this car (not having to visit refueling stations)

That was me, to the left of the first supercharger! I pulled in just as the fourth car took the last available charger. No big deal, got lunch at In and Out, came back and a spot opened up in a few minutes.

Not road tripping today, just drove down from the peninsula to do my first supercharge and make sure that all my hardware was working.

I was looking at all those cars and wondering how many were local ... and perhaps just checking to make sure they have no problem using a SuperCharger. I think Tesla will need to beef up the California corridor, because so many people are taking factory delivery. That puts an almost daily load on the chargers they've already installed. I'm sure they've got the data, knowing who is charging and for how long. Hopefully that data will inform so they can better target the right number of stations for each location.

Regardless, this is all very exciting. I can't tell you how many EVSEs I've stopped at, to have people come out and tell me they've never seen an electric car using the station before. EVs are here. Traffic jams at Supercharger locations will be resolved. I'm thrilled that THAT is the problem right now.

Wow, what a great problem to have! Tesla's got a LOT of superchargers to build and I'm hoping that they're able to put in a few extras at the existing stations without delaying installation of new stations.

I also like the idea of incorporating a queuing system in the smartphone app. It's already location aware so it should prevent people from booking it up when they're not in the area. It'll also be able to do Push Notifications so it can tell you when your charger is available. I bet they can even link it to VIN so the wrong person can't sneak in line. I bet they can do all kinds of great things with the app.

I'm there at least once a week for a quick top-up before heading off for a long drive (usually after a day of driving). I have met many great S owners who are there for their first charge, or on their way home after pickup from the factory. These chargers are busy, but in my experience, never for very long. I usually just run over to get a drink and then back to my car to wait until I have enough juice to go. On a few occasions, I have bugged out early when they were full and others came by needing the charge for a longer drive then me.

While it would be nice for Tesla to build a reservation system (right into the app and into the nav please), I think it is more important to be courteous to other S owners, and disconnect as soon as you have enough juice to go. Also, take some time to chat with them -- it's great fun!

Why TESLA could be like AIR TRAFFIC control .
They know exactly where you are, how much charge you have left.
(ie "VIN 3021 you're due for landing.. ahh.. charging. Please move into slot 5 whenever your ready." .. screen popup)

In fact, I'll go a step further. While a nice idea ... Tesla Motors owns the superchargers and would need to implement a system such as this. Otherwise it's like deciding a restaurant is too busy and setting up a separate reservation system for the restaurant. Not sure they'd be okay with that ... fair?

That is a very good point, I agree that it will be best if Tesla implements the system

I'd like to see Tesla add a reservation system. Tesla has already stated the nav will be able to create routes via SCs. The system knows where you are, your SOC, how fast you're traveling, and when you're going to get there. The reservations could likely be enforced by the SCs. An app in the car could graphically show you which SC you're supposed to pull into. The app can be automatically brought up based on geo location. In the case of a queue, the same app can show you your position in line, and if you leave the car the app can send an alert 10-15 minutes before the car currently in your slot is expected to finish charging. The data is all here, it's just a matter of putting it together.

I agree with your very good points.

Ideally, Tesla will build a reservation system as outlined as they have all the data. However, I just wonder with Tesla's time and resource constraints, when will they get to it. In the meantime, do we need a short-term solution? Maybe if all MS drivers are considerate and there are enough chargers, we will not need it.

Yes, a reservation system would be nice. At the very least it allows you to plan.

There's still the problem of people who are just at the mall using the chargers vs. people on long trips. I think the only "solution" to that is more level 2 stations and a sticker on the supercharger telling people to use the level 2s if possible.

This is really what needs to happen. I have a feeling that in a year or two most new J1772 plugs will be higher powered 70A+, as more cars will have the charging potential. If you are local and shopping plugging in and getting 10kW or 15kW+ is a much better solution than putting superchargers everywhere. I don't know about you. But the furthest outlet mall to me I could charge back to full in about 2.5h at 10kW. No need for a supercharger. Anywhere you are staying for more than 2 hours really doesn't need a supercharger. They should be put on stretches between destinations.

In addition/conjunction with a reservation system, Tesla should text the owner of the car once it has completed charging. It could also text when someone shows up who is waiting for the SC. For the latter, simply put a QCode on the SC itself; scanning the QCode from the Tesla smartphone app would trigger the text to the current SC user (without revealing private info).

Tesla also needs to license out the Supercharger technology, or at least provide 3rd parties the ability to erect their own and charge a fee if they so choose. Officially sanctioned Tesla Superchargers will remain free, but independent Superchargers can charge. If businesses feel it'll provide more (likely wealthy) clientele to there stores, then there's incentive for them to install them. And if they charge a nominal fee, it will not only help recoup some of the costs of installation and maintenance, but also deter people from freeloading. Why wouldn't Tesla do this? It provides Model S owners more charging options, and it helps spread the effort in creating a more dense Supercharger network to 3rd parties.

In addition/conjunction with a reservation system, Tesla should text the owner of the car once it has completed charging. It could also text when someone shows up who is waiting for the SC. For the latter, simply put a QCode on the SC itself; scanning the QCode from the Tesla smartphone app would trigger the text to the current SC user (without revealing private info).

And it could text the waiting driver as soon as a charging car is 1) finished charging (or 5 min ahead) and/or 2) has unplugged.

Advanced feature: it could even allow the two to send each other messages without revealing contact info. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla also needs to license out the Supercharger technology, or at least provide 3rd parties the ability to erect their own and charge a fee if they so choose. Officially sanctioned Tesla Superchargers will remain free, but independent Superchargers can charge. If businesses feel it'll provide more (likely wealthy) clientele to there stores, then there's incentive for them to install them. And if they charge a nominal fee, it will not only help recoup some of the costs of installation and maintenance, but also deter people from freeloading. Why wouldn't Tesla do this? It provides Model S owners more charging options, and it helps spread the effort in creating a more dense Supercharger network to 3rd parties.

Elon has said quite some time ago that they intend to also sell Superchargers (wasn't called Supercharger yet, at that time, I think). However I'd expect they will do this only once they have a lot of experience with installing and maintaining them.

+1, but I think Norbert is also right in that they want to get them perfected first. I mean, if Elon is already talking a "step" in the tech, imagine what it would be like to get all the indie stations updated as well.

I'm thinking it could be simpler than that. If you arrive at an occupied supercharger, there should be a "I'm in queue" button. Tesla has everyone's cell phones, right? So off goes a text to the owner of the car charging that someone is waiting. Assuming you don't unplug (because you need the charge and you were there first) it sends a second text when the car is done charging along the lines of "ehum, your car is done and there are people waiting". Should work?

But sure, augment with a line of HPWC for those that are there to shop and not passing through. If I was there to shop I would just use that and not get in a road-tripper's way.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW... reminds me of when I was at the Hawthorne supercharger on a Sunday morning. Four out of the six chargers were out of commission (with signs to indicate so), and one was blocked by a Tesla owned Model S (mfg plates) that was unattended and not even plugged in. Fortunately the sixth one worked, otherwise I would have been miffed...

The day after I ran into a TM employee who sheepishly said something about that supercharger really only being there as a design sample and not really meant for high traffic. Grumble...

I'm thinking it could be simpler than that. If you arrive at an occupied supercharger, there should be a "I'm in queue" button.
I thought of that, too, but then thought about the pranksters who think it funny to ring my doorbell as they walk by. Using a QCode interpreted by the Tesla app will ensure that only Model S owners can "ring the doorbell."