Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Gilroy, CA (16 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We saw the construction work at Gilroy when passing through on Thursday as well. Looked like they were wiring up the latest and greatest supercharger cabinets and also changing their physical orientation. It was possible to see the wiring layouts inside the new superchargers from a little ways away in the parking lot while they were wiring them up. I can post pictures if they'd be helpful...

A few interesting observations. The newer supercharging pedestals are up and running. Cinder block enclosure will be around the utility cabinets and (centralized) superchargers. The cinder blocks are still on their pallets, but at least they are there! Six superchargers are on the centralized pad so it made me think... Are they going to install a few more supercharging pedestals? One more thing!! There are two more superchargers on site and look to be going where the original superchargers were (they've been removed). There is some trenching at the old supercharger location which begs the question.. Are there even MORE supercharging pedestals coming beyond the potential twelve that would be powered from the main pad? Here are a few photos to look over:cool:

IMG_0425.jpg
IMG_0428.jpg
IMG_0429.jpg
IMG_0434.jpg

Was at Gilroy this afternoon. Using the new (old) chargers just updated I got 93 kwh charge rate for my 'A' battery. Highest ever (thought 90 was the max). Pretty sure I was sharing as all available chargers were being used. Some are cordoned off causing and a waiting line.

All the charging pedestals are the lit TESLA style!! The concrete wall surrounding the superchargers and the distribution cabinets is partially completed. All pedestals are powered from the main supercharger pad. No additional superchargers are on site. The site DOES have expansion capabilities, i.e. two more conduit runs that could accommodate two more superchargers should demand warrant. ... and, if absolutely necessary, I guess they could put even two more where the original superchargers were which would allow for a total of, potentially, 6 more pedestals:crying:
A few photos! early morning...yikes!

P1010030.JPG
P1010031.JPG
P1010032.JPG

Slow charging in Gilroy

Has anyone else been experiencing slow charging at Gilroy SC lately? I'm sitting at 1A right now, no one at 1B, and I'm charging at 191mi/hr, 129 amps. 140 miles SOC. It's cold (for here) out at 37 degrees, but I've been on the road for an hour and pre-heated for an hour before that. Haven't tried moving to a different stall as I'm waiting for a store to open so there's no rush to charge, but I've experienced this several times here in the last few weeks and had the same or lower charge rates after moving to a different pairing.

car/battery is maybe wind chilled if it is that cold out. up here it was close to the same temp and I can't get near full acceleration and car was pre-warmed.
driving an hour on the road will be only using 25-35kW average which may not heat the battery?
Are you in range mode or normal? not sure if that might change battery heating thresholds

car/battery is maybe wind chilled if it is that cold out. up here it was close to the same temp and I can't get near full acceleration and car was pre-warmed.
driving an hour on the road will be only using 25-35kW average which may not heat the battery?
Are you in range mode or normal? not sure if that might change battery heating thresholds

I was in normal mode, not range. Also, after I posted I spoke with another driver who was charging and he had been charging at a rate of 350 mi/hr. It's possible that another charger would have been faster, but as I mentioned I didn't bother moving the car because I had an errand to run anyway. The other odd thing at Gilroy is the numbering of the chargers. 1A, 2A, 1B, 2B, 3A, 4A, is the order of the first six which are to the left of the transformers, and I believe (I'll have to look the next time I'm there) the other four are 5A, 5B, 6A & 6B to the right. If my recollection of the four on the right is correct, are 3A and 4A completely independent? And why are 1A and 1B (and 2A and 2B) not next to each other?

At the risk of being flamed again (see Paramus NJ thread) it would be more helpful to report supercharging in kW rather than miles/hr. If your display is set to kW, or if you multiply VxA, that will give the instantaneous charging rate. The miles/hr display gives the average rate over the session not what's happening at the moment.

At the risk of being flamed again (see Paramus NJ thread) it would be more helpful to report supercharging in kW rather than miles/hr. If your display is set to kW, or if you multiply VxA, that will give the instantaneous charging rate. The miles/hr display gives the average rate over the session not what's happening at the moment.

I wasn't aware of that. I'll note that next time. I can tell you that "the average rate over the session" didn't vary by more than 5mph, once it ramped up from zero to ~190, during the first 30 minutes while I sat in the car.

This has been one of the old trusty SCs on the network and I have used it a lot for southbound trips out of the Bay Area. Last week on my way back from Monterey, I noticed a fenced off area with new transformers, right next to the SC.

Upon closer inspection, this is a new NRG EVGO station with Chademo and SAE Combo direct DC chargers in construction. This is in additional to the bank of Blink 24A chargers at this location. It's turning into a charging mecca. Will get pictures next time.

- K