Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Gilroy, CA (16 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stopped at Gilroy during lunch time on Sunday on my way from Monterey to Danville, and it was full. There was one guy in line ahead of me, and after I got a space, three more cars arrived and had to wait. Only one car charging had an occupant, the rest were unattended.

Only one car charging had an occupant, the rest were unattended.
Whether the cars are occupied while charging is irrelevant. All that matters is that the owners return to their cars by the time supercharging is complete. On a long-distance trip, it's actually a good thing to get out of the car and walk for a while to stretch your legs.

(The In-N-Out is insanely busy, though. I tried eating there twice. There won't be a third time, at least not on the weekend.)

On a day trip from the Bay Area to Carmel, stopped at Gilroy for a short top-up charge at about 2:30 PM. It was completely full but no cars waiting. So we punted and went to Seaside instead where there were three empty stalls and we got full rate charging (90 kWh at 49% SOC).

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: ChrisJ and McManX
So, are 3A and 4A on their own unpaired cabinets?

Very late answer but I think so. There are separate electrical disconnects for 3a and 4a.

I charged here about an hour ago, about half the stalls occupied. On 4a I started drawing 112 kW at 16% SOC but this dropped down to about 56 kW. I wasn't in the mood to try other stalls or call in to Tesla this time. Fairly consistently in the mid 50 kW range until we unplugged with 62% SOC. The handle was warm in case anybody's curious (I was).

Bruce.

I posted in the Where is the Calif Supercharger Build Out thread last week that the Gilroy location is getting ready to add new stalls. Payment is marked for them and trenching for electrical is indicated. Didn't count or take a photo but I need to go that way this morning and will grab a photo.

how many stalls? looks like tesla is first expanding existing locations to achieve their super ambitious goals by end of 2017

I'm thinking it looks like 4 additional ones for sure. Possibly more but not sure from the markings.

10 stalls presently (all spaces were full on the way to run errands, surprised to see only 1 car on way back):
GilroySC_Expansion - 1.jpg

Trenching markings for electrical:
GilroySC_Expansion - 4.jpg

View of new spots down from EVGO chargers:
GilroySC_Expansion - 2.jpg
GilroySC_Expansion - 3.jpg

Not sure but also noticed markings in the parking section down from there although can't say if these are going to be stalls or just utility markings on the pavement and....
GilroySC_Expansion - 1 (1).jpg

in landscaping behind this section.
GilroySC_Expansion - 2 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Keep in mind that there is one unpaired supercharger pedestal. If Tesla installs two more superchargers, we may see 5 new pedestals. Any one passing by:: look inside the newest supercharger arrangement for unused conduit spots for the superchargers themselves; that will give us the best idea of what is to come. Post 73 of this thread has an old photo which seems to indicate 2 more superchargers are coming soon.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that there is one unpaired supercharger pedestal. If Tesla installs two more superchargers, we may see 5 new pedestals. Any one passing by:: look inside the newest supercharger arrangement for unused conduit spots for the superchargers themselves; that will give us the best idea of what is to come. Post 73 of this thread has an old photo which seems to indicate 2 more superchargers are coming soon.

Drove by today, no changes from above pictures. Didn't see any unused conduit spots but full disclosure I didn't have any idea what I was looking at in there.

Also the markings on the ground looked like there would be more than 4-5 new pedestals. Seemed more like 6-8 to me. YMMV

Yeah I didn't know what to make of that smaller parking section directly across from 1a-b and 2a-b but thought the space was photo worthy LOL. However the markings in that smaller section are completely different. The markings that are there on the pavement don't look to extend the full width of that area and the side of the curb doesn't have paint hashmarks on it either (thinking the hashmarks separate the stall areas). If you look closely at the EVgo area there are markings all through the landscaping too where you see circles and lines indicating maybe future Tesla sign posts and/or conduit.

If the shopping center was willing to continue to let Tesla develop spaces in that general area of the Center which is kind of off from the stores, there is a lot of room there that could accommodate at least a dozen or so more stalls. Will be interesting to see construction once it begins.

Reactions: McManX
Took another look at the above photo with the pavement trench markings and noticed that there are also markings that I ignored when I took the photos. As you can see below they extend in front of and beyond the current transformer area. The area to the right of the walled enclosure is not a charger space, and looking at where the markings go to the right of the enclosure made me wonder if the enclosure will be expanded to the right for more equipment to be installed.

GilroySC_Expansion - 1 (2).jpg

Reactions: bmah

Actually if you look closely at the old photo on Post 73 ( Supercharger - Gilroy ), those two empty spots to the right in front of the slab were fully built out with panel boxes (what looks like two spots to the left are where the front gate door is now positioned). There are currently 6 panel boxes outside the gated area (see b&w photo above) and that would correspond to the current 6 chargers if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:
There's prebuilt conduit stubs in the equipment pen for two charger cabinets. Each cabinet serves two charging pedestals, for a total of four. There was a Tesla gentleman there doing preventative maintenance for the upcoming holiday weekend, and he told me they're expanding that site, but didn't tell me more details. (He wasn't involved in the site expansion; only the preventative maintenance. He was in Hawaii doing an energy project there during the recent spate of SC shutdowns in California, and didn't elaborate any further on that.)

So, to me, it's pretty obvious that those lines are probably existing conduit runs, or runs they will make, and that those four parking spots will be used (the two adjacent to the equipment and existing pedestals, and the two with markings across the lane from the equipment). This all makes sense from an electrical perspective, since shorter runs of wire are better.

They'll probably have this expansion built faster than Dublin.

Do we think they'll put in more than 4?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: McManX
There's prebuilt conduit stubs in the equipment pen for two charger cabinets. Each cabinet serves two charging pedestals, for a total of four. There was a Tesla gentleman there doing preventative maintenance for the upcoming holiday weekend, and he told me they're expanding that site, but didn't tell me more details. (He wasn't involved in the site expansion; only the preventative maintenance. He was in Hawaii doing an energy project there during the recent spate of SC shutdowns in California, and didn't elaborate any further on that.)

So, to me, it's pretty obvious that those lines are probably existing conduit runs, or runs they will make, and that those four parking spots will be used (the two adjacent to the equipment and existing pedestals, and the two with markings across the lane from the equipment). This all makes sense from an electrical perspective, since shorter runs of wire are better.

They'll probably have this expansion built faster than Dublin.

Do we think they'll put in more than 4?

Based on the prebuilt stubs for 2 cabinets, 4 new pedestals makes the most sense (or 5 to fill in the unpaired)

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
The markings on the Gilroy pavement were all white, indicating proposed areas of excavation. This is based on a national council uniform color code used for public and private underground utility markings.

Here's what San Jose, Ca publishes to indicate everything from what's to be dug to what utility service goes underground:
http://sanjoseca.gov/DocumentCenter/View/6256.