TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharger - Gilroy

Discussion in 'California Supercharger locations' started by Apollo17, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Apollo17

Apollo17 New Member

Today was the first time ever that I saw 8 Tesla Model S's lined up at the Gilroy Supercharger. There are only 4 ports. Two of the MS's were plugged in to the public chargers (at right). In a way, I am glad to see this, as it means production has really ramped up and people are buying these cars. On the other hand, Tesla must match demand with additional ports, or we are all going to be waiting a long time to top off.

As it was, we were on a short day trip, so we elected not to wait around.

859206_291520537642457_949385290_o.jpg

2. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

I suspect a lot of them are also just on a short trip to the mall, unfortunately.

3. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

Still leads the unanswered question of how fair queueing is going to work. How does the 5th person that showed up get the next open one without a "jerk" waiting and hurrying to drive in there?

4. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

I suppose that adding the 10-stall (or "10-slot"?) Supercharger in Harris Ranch might take a bit load off the one in Gilroy, as Harris Ranch is reachable from the Bay Area. Currently there is only a single Supercharger in Harris Ranch, so those traveling down Hwy 5 are probably taking as much charge as possible in Gilroy. Nevertheless, I'd hope that those being there on a short trip to the mall don't needlessly occupy a Supercharger just for the fun of it. ;)

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Unfortunately this is the disadvantage of not charging for it. Charging a nominal sum would mean that people who really need it would use it, instead of people who just want a little free power blocking them out. Economics 101.

6. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Tesla Model S owners could never be jerks. ;)

7. richkae

richkae VIN587

Ditto

8. scriptacus

scriptacus Member

Nice, you caught me (in the orange fleece at the J1772) extolling to virtues of the Model S to an interested family that was passing by as I waited for one of the SCs to free up. :)

9. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Or perhaps the "step" change in charging will decrease charge time. Not a full solution, but every bit helps.

10. Francis Lau

Francis Lau P-1456

Here is a proposal, we set up a simple website accessible from our model S browser and it provides the following functionality:

1. For queuing
    For each super charger site, we have a queue where users can enter:
    a. name
    b. arrival time
    c. plate, cell
    d. level of urgency (optional, required for long trip, urgent with < 25 miles left)
    e. notes

2. Once connected to charger
    Once connected to charger, users will enter:
    a. start time
    b. anticipated disconnect time
    c. cell, level of urgency (optional, required for long trip, urgent with < 25 miles left)
    d. notes

3. When departing location
    a. mark yourself as done
    b. call person next in the queue

We then put stickers on all superchargers with info to use the website. Maybe we can even connect the site to TeslaMotorsClub.com so it uses the same credentials.

Of course, this is an honor and voluntary system and does not prevent jerk behavior. Maybe, on the site, we can have a wall of shame, where we can post photos of violators :)

11. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I appreciate the idea, Francis ... but what about the Model S owners who do not frequent TMC? Doesn't seem right that they can be bumped by someone who arrives after them, just because they entered their arrival time.

- - - Updated - - -

In fact, I'll go a step further. While a nice idea ... Tesla Motors owns the superchargers and would need to implement a system such as this. Otherwise it's like deciding a restaurant is too busy and setting up a separate reservation system for the restaurant. Not sure they'd be okay with that ... fair?

12. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

I'd like to see Tesla add a reservation system. Tesla has already stated the nav will be able to create routes via SCs. The system knows where you are, your SOC, how fast you're traveling, and when you're going to get there. The reservations could likely be enforced by the SCs. An app in the car could graphically show you which SC you're supposed to pull into. The app can be automatically brought up based on geo location. In the case of a queue, the same app can show you your position in line, and if you leave the car the app can send an alert 10-15 minutes before the car currently in your slot is expected to finish charging. The data is all here, it's just a matter of putting it together.

13. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Yes, a reservation system would be nice. At the very least it allows you to plan.

There's still the problem of people who are just at the mall using the chargers vs. people on long trips. I think the only "solution" to that is more level 2 stations and a sticker on the supercharger telling people to use the level 2s if possible.

14. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

My vote is for more superchargers!
    10-20 spots should do:biggrin:

Although I also agree with not using the superchargers just because they're free, only use them if needed.

Living in Sacramento, I'd never use the Folsom SC, there's no reason to, that's one of the great perks of this car (not having to visit refueling stations)

15. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

That was me, to the left of the first supercharger! I pulled in just as the fourth car took the last available charger. No big deal, got lunch at In and Out, came back and a spot opened up in a few minutes.

Not road tripping today, just drove down from the peninsula to do my first supercharge and make sure that all my hardware was working.

16. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I was looking at all those cars and wondering how many were local ... and perhaps just checking to make sure they have no problem using a SuperCharger. I think Tesla will need to beef up the California corridor, because so many people are taking factory delivery. That puts an almost daily load on the chargers they've already installed. I'm sure they've got the data, knowing who is charging and for how long. Hopefully that data will inform so they can better target the right number of stations for each location.

Regardless, this is all very exciting. I can't tell you how many EVSEs I've stopped at, to have people come out and tell me they've never seen an electric car using the station before. EVs are here. Traffic jams at Supercharger locations will be resolved. I'm thrilled that THAT is the problem right now.

17. SFOTurtle

SFOTurtle Active Member

Out of curiosity, what amperage does the J1772 have next to the SCs?

18. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

Wow, what a great problem to have! Tesla's got a LOT of superchargers to build and I'm hoping that they're able to put in a few extras at the existing stations without delaying installation of new stations.

I also like the idea of incorporating a queuing system in the smartphone app. It's already location aware so it should prevent people from booking it up when they're not in the area. It'll also be able to do Push Notifications so it can tell you when your charger is available. I bet they can even link it to VIN so the wrong person can't sneak in line. I bet they can do all kinds of great things with the app.

19. ddenboer

ddenboer MODEL X #1770

I'm there at least once a week for a quick top-up before heading off for a long drive (usually after a day of driving). I have met many great S owners who are there for their first charge, or on their way home after pickup from the factory. These chargers are busy, but in my experience, never for very long. I usually just run over to get a drink and then back to my car to wait until I have enough juice to go. On a few occasions, I have bugged out early when they were full and others came by needing the charge for a longer drive then me.

While it would be nice for Tesla to build a reservation system (right into the app and into the nav please), I think it is more important to be courteous to other S owners, and disconnect as soon as you have enough juice to go. Also, take some time to chat with them -- it's great fun!

20. scriptacus

scriptacus Member

Unfortunately I didn't take note... I was only plugged for about 5 minutes before one of the SCs opened up and I moved my car.