Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Glenview, IL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1200 N Milwaukee Ave

I saw this site popup as permit on supercharge.info so I went to check it out last night. Construction has started in the parking lot south of Abt.

glenview1.jpg glenview2.jpg

Anything good nearby besides ABT?
Nope. No food within walking distance except for Jolane's Restaurant. You could certainly kill time browsing Abt (and pick-up some of their free cookies), but otherwise there's nothing to do at this stop.

My bet is they put a supercharger here because of some offer by Abt, like an offer to share install costs or pay for the electricity. Abt has had free EV chargers right in front of the store for years now and I see Tesla's there often. Plus, I'm sure there's a lot of overlap between the type of people that drive Tesla's and the type of people that like to shop at Abt ($$).

Last edited:
Reactions: croman
Not saying it's not smart on ABTs part to install a charger for a captive audience. It's just nice to have some variety. I find myself going to different superchargers based on what I'm in the mood for. Not sure how often I'm going to be in the mood to walk through an appliance super store.

Not saying it's not smart on ABTs part to install a charger for a captive audience. It's just nice to have some variety. I find myself going to different superchargers based on what I'm in the mood for. Not sure how often I'm going to be in the mood to walk through an appliance super store.
Abt is definitely worth checking out if you haven't been, they've got a lot of fun stuff inside besides shopping.

Reactions: Bikeman
Can’t believe Glenview is getting a supercharger. That’s just way too amazing.

The location is relatively convenient heading north or south off of 294.

Think the reason this went in, Abt has solar panels and powerwall. They have looked at alternative energy for a very long time, I remember a wind turbine at the entrance installed way over 5 years ago. Pretty sure they took that down recently.

There is an article in the free north shore of Chicago magazine Make It Better about Mike Abt, son of the owner (the store is Abt, a family name).

It is correct there is no food close by. A not too far walk north on Milwaukee is a hotel. Further up the road there are a ton of food options - corner of Lake and Milwaukee. It is a hike.

And Abt is beyond worth visiting. They have everything from appliances to furniture to electronics. And they hit all the price points, low, high, and crazy. Their audio store is amazing. From inexpensive headphones and Bluetooth speakers to a $150,000 media room. They are the Chicago area Bang and Olufsen dealer (yes you can listen to the $85,000 pair of speakers). Every television model made. And sales people that actually know the product.

The beat part of Abt, their prices are lower than anywhere else. They match on line pricing.

Go enjoy.

Yeah... no way this location makes good sense for long-distance travelers on I-294. It's right next to it, but there are no nearby exits.

According to Google Maps it adds 16 minutes for a northbound driver on 294 to exit at Dempster, zig-zag their way north to ABT, and then zig-zag north some more to get back on 294 at Willow Rd. Southbound it also adds 16 minutes.

I guess it's better than nothing for drivers on 294. It's better than going over to Highland Park. But certainly not ideal.

upload_2018-3-19_12-10-5.png

Yeah... no way this location makes good sense for long-distance travelers on I-294. It's right next to it, but there are no nearby exits.

According to Google Maps it adds 16 minutes for a northbound driver on 294 to exit at Dempster, zig-zag their way north to ABT, and then zig-zag north some more to get back on 294 at Willow Rd. Southbound it also adds 16 minutes.

I guess it's better than nothing for drivers on 294. It's better than going over to Highland Park. But certainly not ideal.

Certainly a hike off the interstate to get back on for long distance travel. I will check tonight if they are standard or urban chargers.

Milwaukee running at an angle though is great for locals avoiding the interstate traffic. Most of the main east/west roads are crammed at peak times trying to get to on/off ramps. And Milwaukee north of Golf Rd is never seems to get too awful.

Can’t believe Glenview is getting a supercharger. That’s just way too amazing.

The location is relatively convenient heading north or south off of 294.

Think the reason this went in, Abt has solar panels and powerwall. They have looked at alternative energy for a very long time, I remember a wind turbine at the entrance installed way over 5 years ago. Pretty sure they took that down recently.

There is an article in the free north shore of Chicago magazine Make It Better about Mike Abt, son of the owner (the store is Abt, a family name).

It is correct there is no food close by. A not too far walk north on Milwaukee is a hotel. Further up the road there are a ton of food options - corner of Lake and Milwaukee. It is a hike.

And Abt is beyond worth visiting. They have everything from appliances to furniture to electronics. And they hit all the price points, low, high, and crazy. Their audio store is amazing. From inexpensive headphones and Bluetooth speakers to a $150,000 media room. They are the Chicago area Bang and Olufsen dealer (yes you can listen to the $85,000 pair of speakers). Every television model made. And sales people that actually know the product.

The beat part of Abt, their prices are lower than anywhere else. They match on line pricing.

Go enjoy.

Found this online from the article, glad I already shop there:

"The company also generates energy on-site, with solar panels and a Tesla Powerwall battery that stores energy to use when the sun isn’t shining. They get a rebate from ComEd for allowing the utility to tap power from their battery when it’s needed to help stabilize the grid or meet high demand. Abt notes that the financial arrangement with ComEd panned out well after tricky logistical twists and turns. He also tried to install wind power onsite, but that didn’t work so well. Meanwhile he’s got a green roof ready for installation, which will lower heating and cooling costs and provide a space for vegetation and maybe a beekeeping operation."

• Informative
Reactions: croman
My guess is that it is a "vanity charger" because, as noted above, the Abt guys are big into alternative energy. I second the raves about the store/business -- we've used them for decades - in fact, they literally were at my house today installing a new dishwasher. But it is in no way a quick on-off - to the contrary it is kind of a PITA to get there. Same for the Highland Park charger.

But the more the merrier

Skokie are urban superchargers based on the lower charge max rate and they don't split juice with an adjacent stall.

Given how jam packed Highland Park can be, I appreciate the option of getting 72kw guaranteed vs. the potential for more elsewhere (but often not even getting a stall).

That being said, this new Glenview option is intriguing. I shop at Abt so I will definitely hit it up while I'm there.

Hey Everyone, just wanted to pop into this thread with some updated info. Tesla is expecting construction of the site to be completed by 4/16, and after a voltage check and final inspection, the chargers should be open to users by 4/20. I could try to confirm other bits of info if anyone was interested.

Also, really appreciate all the nice things said about Abt in this thread!