Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Gloucester, MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sort of related... for those looking for L2 charging in the area - the newish YMCA adjacent to the Gloucester Crossing shopping center has a bunch of ChargePoint stations. They tend to be fairly open during the day, but busier at night as a bunch of people that live in the nearby apartment complex charge there overnight (great to see!).

Rockport installed some L2 public charging last year. Six plugs downtown in the resident only lot at town hall (EV charging exempted from resident restriction) and at the park-and-ride lot as you come into town. They are just now installing the final set of L2 plugs on Atlantic Ave at the Headlands, about a ten minute walk from downtown. As of this past weekend the pedestals were in, but still bagged (waiting for utility hookup perhaps?). The locations are listed on the Rockport EV Charging web page, and are/will be on PlugShare and ChargePoint sites too.

Now, if we can just get some CCS DC fast charging added to Gloucester Crossing to cover non-Tesla demand.

Nice to see public charging options finally coming to this area which had previously been a charging wasteland.
Very helpful to those not familiar with the area. Thank you.

Reactions: kayak1 and Tdreamer
All of the things has been driving me crazy is that for the most part you only find Tesla fast chargers and very few other ones.

Most of the L2 chargers are rather slow (mine is 11kW), which has caused us to not drive our Teslas up to New England when heading in the direction of Gloucester.

It’s nice to see the Tesla chargers less than a mile of the road from my wife’s mothers house.

Reactions: chjch and Tdreamer
Thursday… conduit and pedestal bases all in.
FCAF6652-1A1D-41EF-B1DD-7258D4F97054.jpeg

Reactions: kayak1 and mociaf9
Looks like a pre-cast transformer form was delivered Friday and they finished preparing the bollards. I assume we'll see a concrete poor next week and then backfilling, followed by pedestal and supercharger cabinet installation.
View attachment 824235
Wow! They are moving forward at a nice pace. I wonder how long it takes to do the electrical work and hook to grid? Thanks for the update.

Reactions: kayak1
Wow! They are moving forward at a nice pace. I wonder how long it takes to do the electrical work and hook to grid? Thanks for the update.
Lots of variables, but with an eight stall site like this might take might take a few days to install the pedestals and perhaps another 2-3 days to wire them. Getting a transformer delivered and connected is a huge variable - this can take a very long time, although times seem to be shorting a bit recently.

For this site they also still need to extend the trench to the existing utility feed on the corner of the building across an active driveway. Not sure when that will happen - they may be waiting until the project end to allow delivery traffic to be routed over the first half of the trench.

Best guess - end of July to end of August for this site to go live.

Lots of variables, but with an eight stall site like this might take might take a few days to install the pedestals and perhaps another 2-3 days to wire them. Getting a transformer delivered and connected is a huge variable - this can take a very long time, although times seem to be shorting a bit recently.

For this site they also still need to extend the trench to the existing utility feed on the corner of the building across an active driveway. Not sure when that will happen - they may be waiting until the project end to allow delivery traffic to be routed over the first half of the trench.

Best guess - end of July to end of August for this site to go live.
Sounds like I’ll be charging on L2 when visiting in July. Might catch it live on our September visit. I’m looking forward to seeing the site when I arrive in July. Be well.

There should be a new supercharger coming sometime this year to the Gloucester Commons shopping plaza. The Gloucester pin was added to Tesla's map this year and this is the location Tesla has in mind. Discussion are already underway. If not for some issues that need to be worked out, construction could have already begun by now (but has not).

Not clear when the site issues Tesla is working will be resolved, but this one could happen sometime this summer potentially.
Saw it under construction yesterday.