Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Gloucester, MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One more thing about the Gloucester location:

Two times I’ve been at the charger when it’s nighttime (after 10pm or around 5:30AM) and non-EV people have been parked there… just hanging out. Likely because the charger spaces are out of sight / off to the side. I’m sort of wondering what kind of nefarious crap was going on in these parking spots before they were Tesla charging slots?

The other thing I’m noticing is that it’s a little more than twice as expensive to charge my car at a supercharger in Massachusetts than it is in Maryland or New Jersey.

The other thing I’m noticing is that it’s a little more than twice as expensive to charge my car at a supercharger in Massachusetts than it is in Maryland or New Jersey.
Massachusetts electric rates are among the highest in the country currently owing to our heavy reliance on natural gas for generation combined with limited gas pipeline capacity into New England. Tesla is merely passing on the costs. Massachusetts especially is trying to push the ISO New England grid towards more solar and wind and at some point that will probably help, but for now, power here is very, very pricy.

Currently, Eversource rates are in the order of $0.31 per KWh and look to go towards $0.41 in total for generation+transmission+distribution this coming January. My own town got into a group generation buy 3 years ago and we are grandfathered in at 9.9 cents for generation that with transmission/distribution fees, is now around $0.24 per KWh total. That looks to get renewed at about $0.41 total at the end of next year when our current group buy contract expires. In the mean time I have a home solar system on order. It's about the only way to go in MA given these power prices.

My brother in Oregon currently pays $0.104 per KWh currently, for what it's worth. New England, California, and Hawaii have high, high, high power prices.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: kayak1 and chjch
One more thing about the Gloucester location:

Two times I’ve been at the charger when it’s nighttime (after 10pm or around 5:30AM) and non-EV people have been parked there… just hanging out. Likely because the charger spaces are out of sight / off to the side. I’m sort of wondering what kind of nefarious crap was going on in these parking spots before they were Tesla charging slots?

Wait til the Danvers one comes online! We have municipal electric and it's very reasonable. I'd hope Tesla will set the prices there appropriately.