Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Golden, BC Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stayed at the Travelodge last month en route to Vancouver and couldn't believe what the manager told me; Tesla pays him $400 per month to have the Superchargers there!

Talk about extortion! That hotel should be paying Tesla, since the spots clearly aren't in high demand! The place was dead.

If every property owner is demanding similar fees, no wonder the Superchargers are going up so slowly!

$400/mo is peanuts to Tesla and the hotel frankly. The electricity peak demand charges on a busy supercharger site would absolutely swamp that for cost. I couldn't begin to guess what the Toronto supercharger costs in comparison, as every time I go there, there's 3+ cars on the plug.

Well, I could guess. :) If it really is 3 cars on average, drawing say the median of 60 kW, that would be equivalent to a constant draw of 180 kW. Ontario electricity rates are time of day but the average appears to be about 12 cents/kWh. For residential - probably less for this sort of power level. But assuming that price it would be $21.60 per hour, or $518 per day, roughly $15K/month.

If it's 3 cars on average for half of the day then divide that by two. The point remains, however, we're talking about something on the order of $10,000 per month.

Now as for Golden, how many cars do you think go through per day? 40 on average during the summer, maybe, like, 4 per day during the winter? Now I'm really doing some wild guessing. Let's say it works out to 1000 charges per year. At $6 per charge, very roughly (60 kWh @ 10 cents/kWh) that's $6000 per year, or $500 per month.

So in the case of Toronto I can see the annual cost of electricity being quite large, but for Golden I suspect that the land rental is a big portion of the overall cost.

And that, in turn, is nothing compared to the cost of installation.

$400/mo is peanuts to Tesla and the hotel frankly. The electricity peak demand charges on a busy supercharger site would absolutely swamp that for cost. I couldn't begin to guess what the Toronto supercharger costs in comparison, as every time I go there, there's 3+ cars on the plug.

I fail to see how electricity costs are relevant to what I was talking about. Superchargers have their own transformers and supply equipment. Their power use does not affect the hotel in any way and Tesla pays for that power and any resultant demand charges anyway.

What we are talking about here is merely the use of the land the Superchargers reside on. I guess I would have expected hotels who aren't overflowing with business to jump at the chance to support something which could draw in potential customers for absolutely no out-of-pocket expense on their part. Tesla pays for the equipment, the construction crews, the landscaping, everything. Yet, still these hotels are nickle-and-diming them, demanding fees to use land that would have sat empty otherwise. There's being a shrewd businessperson and then there's just being a greedy f*cker.

I fail to see how electricity costs are relevant to what I was talking about. Superchargers have their own transformers and supply equipment. Their power use does not affect the hotel in any way and Tesla pays for that power and any resultant demand charges anyway.

What we are talking about here is merely the use of the land the Superchargers reside on. I guess I would have expected hotels who aren't overflowing with business to jump at the chance to support something which could draw in potential customers for absolutely no out-of-pocket expense on their part. Tesla pays for the equipment, the construction crews, the landscaping, everything. Yet, still these hotels are nickle-and-diming them, demanding fees to use land that would have sat empty otherwise. There's being a shrewd businessperson and then there's just being a greedy f*cker.

I agree. If the parking lot was in high demand, I can see charging for the spots, but even then drawing in Tesla owners is good for business. I wonder what they pay in Hope? That parking lot has tons of empty spots, at all times of day.

Bingo. That would be the reason, just as SmartElectric explained. If Tesla is paying much larger amounts for electricity than for land rental, then the land rental costs are not a big deal. (My post was just exploring that claim; whether in general land rental costs are swamped by electricity costs).

I think it's far more likely that Tesla would have a hard time finding sites if it did not pay for rental. So I'm not sure why you're upset about this. The fact that Tesla is paying is a good sign, in terms of the likelihood of them opening more locations. If they had to rely on "it'll benefit your business but we're not going to pay you anything" then that's a bit tougher sell, isn't it?

Put it another way: how do you know that the business owners are being greedy? Maybe Tesla's offer right off the bat includes paying rental fees.

I'm surprised Tesla is paying anything to the land owner. My understanding was that Tesla covers the infrastructure costs and power bill, but there is no exchange of dollars between the owner and Tesla, in either direction. i.e., Tesla doesn't pay rent and land owners don't pay for the privilege of hosting a site.

See also this: http://insideevs.com/tech-crunch-what-it-takes-to-be-a-tesla-supercharger-partner/

Bingo. That would be the reason, just as SmartElectric explained. If Tesla is paying much larger amounts for electricity than for land rental, then the land rental costs are not a big deal. (My post was just exploring that claim; whether in general land rental costs are swamped by electricity costs).

I think it's far more likely that Tesla would have a hard time finding sites if it did not pay for rental. So I'm not sure why you're upset about this. The fact that Tesla is paying is a good sign, in terms of the likelihood of them opening more locations. If they had to rely on "it'll benefit your business but we're not going to pay you anything" then that's a bit tougher sell, isn't it?

Put it another way: how do you know that the business owners are being greedy? Maybe Tesla's offer right off the bat includes paying rental fees.

I guess I'm just disappointed by the sad state of our "What's in it for me?" culture. It seems like the second you want to set foot on somebody else's land they demand payment for the privilege; even if that landowner is the one who benefits! This seems petty and childish to me.

With a fledgling business like Tesla Motors, every unnecessary expense is a big deal. You extrapolate that $400/month out over every Supercharger site globally and you'd be looking at over $1 million per month of largely unnecessary expense! Talk about vampire drain! :scared:
Why not use that money to put up 2 or 3 additional Superchargers or hire a dozen more software engineers?!

Now, it could be entirely possible Tesla feels it necessary to sweeten the pot by offering potential hosts a little sumn'sumn' for the trouble. Personally, I think that would be a mistake, but maybe I'm grossly overestimating the number of possible sites and Tesla has only a few to choose from in any given locale. I thought that since they bring in new power equipment anyway, you could put a Supercharger up pretty much anywhere.

This was two weeks ago. You plug in, and for some reason it stops charging half way through. Then I need to unplug and replug.
Happened to me in May..I had plugged in and was at the Tim's when I checked my app it had stopped charging. I moved my X to the next charger same thing happened, moved to the next and finally it charged. I posted this in a different thread.
Someone had left a note on one of the charges that it was malfunctioning and had informed Tesla.
Surprised to hear that the problem has recurred.
Will be charging on August 8th, heading to Victoria ..I may stop at Canmore and top up instead of Golden.