Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Goleta, CA (LIVE 6 May 2020, 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday was the first time i've seen a real line. There was a Tesla employee there, or a guy with a Tesla shirt and hat on anyway, i assume directing traffic. Maybe go park somewhere and I'll tell you when it's your turn.

There isn't really a place to line up without blocking traffic, and with the EA site still fenced off there really isn't much of a place to park where you can see the stalls.

Yesterday was the first time i've seen a real line. There was a Tesla employee there, or a guy with a Tesla shirt and hat on anyway, i assume directing traffic. Maybe go park somewhere and I'll tell you when it's your turn.

There isn't really a place to line up without blocking traffic, and with the EA site still fenced off there really isn't much of a place to park where you can see the stalls.
This location is super busy on weekends. Hopefully when the SB location comes online there will no waiit during peak hours.

I stopped by this charger this morning and the EA stalls are installed but still a lot more work to go. Looked like each EA stall supports either 50kW CHAdeMO or 100kW CCS

There was also more construction starting on the other side of the EA stalls. Hopefully they are adding more Tesla chargers because this spot is pretty busy.
Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 8.42.17 PM.png

There was also more construction starting on the other side of the EA stalls. Hopefully they are adding more Tesla chargers because this spot is pretty busy.

8 superchargers (72 kW) showed up on the map at 1595 S Jameson, Montecito, CA
the Miramar Hotel. Long time coming.

16 superchargers (250 kW) look complete, but awaiting a transformer at 3943 State St
Big 5 Sports

and I just noticed 12 more 250s are in the works for City Lot #10 on E Ortega!

Hopefully these will take some strain away from the Market Place.

I’m charging here now (0930 on 12/30), and it looks like 4 contiguous ones are out. I have to think that one of the charge boxes decided to take a holiday break, too.
As you face the SC's the one immidiately to the left of broken 4 didn't work for me the other evening. Moved down one and it was fine. I hope Tesla gets them up and running for this weekend.

3:30pm on a Sunday (end of spring break week for UCSB) all slots were full and several cars waiting. Is this normal for a Sunday afternoon at this charger?

Also, all the Electrify America chargers were free with no one charging (except for a Ioniq5 which rolled in after some time). If only Tesla would sell a reasonably priced CCS adapter in the US. Especially for those of us who don't have free Supercharging, using them would be an option instead of waiting for 20-40 minutes and watching to make sure people don't cut in line.

Waiting in one of the EA spots is a sure way to lose your spot in the line as people waiting on one of the sides don't realize a Tesla is waiting in EA spot for super charger to open and take the spot that opens up. Saw this happen at least once while I was charging yesterday.

Can't Tesla implement some kind of ticket system? They know when each of the cars who are waiting got there. They know when a spot opens up. They should be able to easily implement a system where you get a ticket and can go park in a spot nearby without having to block traffic. And once someone leaves that spot is reserved for the next person in line for a few minutes and they get notification to go pick up the spot. And if anyone else takes the spot and tries to charge, they will get a notification saying it is not their turn yet. Especially with more and more chargers filling up during weekends, allocating some resources to solve this problem is certainly worth Tesla's time.

3:30pm on a Sunday (end of spring break week for UCSB) all slots were full and several cars waiting. Is this normal for a Sunday afternoon at this charger?

Also, all the Electrify America chargers were free with no one charging (except for a Ioniq5 which rolled in after some time). If only Tesla would sell a reasonably priced CCS adapter in the US. Especially for those of us who don't have free Supercharging, using them would be an option instead of waiting for 20-40 minutes and watching to make sure people don't cut in line.
The Goleta SC is much busier than the Santa Barbara one almost everyday of the week. As I write this Goleta is 5/12 and SB is 10/16.

• Informative
Reactions: leaftoy
Waiting in one of the EA spots is a sure way to lose your spot in the line as people waiting on one of the sides don't realize a Tesla is waiting in EA spot for super charger to open and take the spot that opens up. Saw this happen at least once while I was charging yesterday.

Can't Tesla implement some kind of ticket system? They know when each of the cars who are waiting got there. They know when a spot opens up. They should be able to easily implement a system where you get a ticket and can go park in a spot nearby without having to block traffic. And once someone leaves that spot is reserved for the next person in line for a few minutes and they get notification to go pick up the spot. And if anyone else takes the spot and tries to charge, they will get a notification saying it is not their turn yet. Especially with more and more chargers filling up during weekends, allocating some resources to solve this problem is certainly worth Tesla's time.
It's good to know that EA chargers are free at the moment. If it's going to be free for a while, it might be worth getting adapter for road trips.

I am pretty sure the Tesla engineers can make it happen. Those of us navigate to the charger during a road trip should get priority! :)

Did you happen to look at the availability of the Santa Barbara SC while waiting in line?

It's good to know that EA chargers are free at the moment. If it's going to be free for a while, it might be worth getting adapter for road trips.

I am pretty sure the Tesla engineers can make it happen. Those of us navigate to the charger during a road trip should get priority! :)

Did you happen to look at the availability of the Santa Barbara SC while waiting in line?
SB had spots open. I didn’t see how many (new UI seems to obscure that info while you have a trip active in the nav). I chose to wait for a spot instead of driving to SB since I was traveling north and didn’t want to drive south just for a charge (and didn’t have enough at least according to the nav to drive to Buellton charger.

Yes. Been using them since they were installed. The Goleta chargers are generally always full on weekends and busy during the week. That’s why the construction of the EA’s made me think Tesla recognized they had underestimated demand and we’re fixing it.

Even after the SB chargers came online (which I use when I am out that way), weekends remain very busy in Goleta.

I have the luxury to avoid the Goleta chargers when full… or if charging and a line forms, I leave. I assume some (many?) using it have fewer options than I. I would hope locals at stations far from home for me would do the same.

The idea of a ticket system sounds like a good idea. Although I wonder if the system could be implemented for every car. If you chose to “not share data”, would you be left out? It would be painful to plug in after 20 mins of waiting only to have every stall you try fail to charge because Tesla does not know you are there.

• Informative
SB had spots open. I didn’t see how many (new UI seems to obscure that info while you have a trip active in the nav). I chose to wait for a spot instead of driving to SB since I was traveling north and didn’t want to drive south just for a charge (and didn’t have enough at least according to the nav to drive to Buellton charger.
I was coming back to SB from the LA area(with a full charge) around 5-6 pm yesterday. Both Thousand Oaks locations had only 1 stall open and Oxnard had a short wait. SB and Goleta were busy but had stalls open at that time. I am hoping Ventura gets a SC and SBDT location starts construction soon.

seems to me like more people need to start charging at santa barbara instead of waiting at goleta just because it's closer, santa barbara is rarely full so clearly there are enough chargers, people are just too lazy.