Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Goleta, CA (LIVE 6 May 2020, 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drum roll please...................

The supercharger referred to in the sign at Buellton is not in Santa Barbara or Montecito, it is currently under construction at the Camino Real shopping center in Goleta. I'll post a picture of exactly where later, later, but that's it. For non-locals it's about five miles north of Santa Barbara, it used to be non-incorporated Santa Barbara.

There is another supercharger approved somewhere, I can't find it and they (Tesla) wouldn't say where it is, but they said three total Santa Barbara area.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the City of Goleta has not made their building permit information available online. But for the Goleta-savvy, where at Camino Real Marketplace are they installing them? My guess is the edge of the parking lot along Santa Felicia between Costco and Best Buy.

The supercharger referred to in the sign at Buellton is not in Santa Barbara or Montecito, it is currently under construction at the Camino Real shopping center in Goleta. I'll post a picture of exactly where later, later, but that's it.
Thanks for your report! Interested to know where in that shopping center. Please post a photo. Thanks.

077CAD35-F33F-4417-B2CF-43DB3E6E3701.png

Last edited:
It's kitty corner from Costco. Now that I'm back home i see I took a terrible picture, but on the left side you see the road going through the middle of the marketplace, and on the right the road out. It's at the corner, On our map above, if I were to have taken a picture straight at it instead of at 45 degrees I'd see Ross. I don't know if it's eight stalls or eight chargers, it looks too small for eight chargers unless they do some reconfiguring. It's eight something, supposedly.

Funny thing is last time i drove past that I was joking and said to my wife, maybe they are putting superchargers in there.

The third one, they said it was permitted, if so must be City of Santa Barbara or Goleta again, the Miramar is the only one that shows up in the County permits

IMG_7016.jpg

Thanks for the photo, which shows a green construction fence and what appears to be the top of a Porta-Potty. :cool: How do you know that a Supercharger is being constructed behind that fence?

Be aware that there are a lot of Electrify America installations in progress right now as well.
It's kitty corner from Costco. Now that I'm back home i see I took a terrible picture, but on the left side you see the road going through the middle of the marketplace, and on the right the road out. It's at the corner, On our map above, if I were to have taken a picture straight at it instead of at 45 degrees I'd see Ross. I don't know if it's eight stalls or eight chargers, it looks too small for eight chargers unless they do some reconfiguring. It's eight something, supposedly.

Funny thing is last time i drove past that I was joking and said to my wife, maybe they are putting superchargers in there.

The third one, they said it was permitted, if so must be City of Santa Barbara or Goleta again, the Miramar is the only one that shows up in the County permits

View attachment 489800

How do you know that a Supercharger is being constructed behind that fence?

At the service center, my wife was kidding, they said can we get you anything else, she said, yes, superchargers. Guy said how about three? I said, three? Three. I sad Miramar, that's one. He said Costco, that's going to be open first. I said where is three? He said it's permitted. That's all he was giving.

So I guess I don't know that, I could be making a leap, but there is a huge hole in the ground, I would assume that's got something to do with it. He said Costco, and it's as close as you can get to Costco without screwing up their parking.

The fenced off area is at the lighter pink spot on the map above.

The other thing was that the guys there started talking about the chargers, and one asked the other if the Miramar was a low power charger. Guy said yes, 75 something, I didn't catch it. I know very little about superchargers, I don't know what that meant. Probably should have asked. Though I'll never use it:)

Thanks for the photo, which shows a green construction fence and what appears to be the top of a Porta-Potty

I did say that after I got home i saw what a bad picture it was:) Behind the screen is a big hole and a lot of torn up asphalt. I think I have to go out there again tomorrow, if so I'll take a picture inside the fence.

I don't know anyone who owns a business there, I suspect they'd have been told where it is, but there is no other construction out there. The guys at Tesla said it was under construction, the sign at Buellton said coming soon. So..............

Funny how times change. My sister owned a business out there when it opened. She said that they had all these plans for getting people to come there, including a gas station. They were never able to get the gas station approved. I think what they were going to do was sell gas at a reasonable price. There are two gas stations near the shopping center. The one closest to it is usually about $0.50/gal above market rate, the rest of town.

The one at the freeway offramp about a mile from the center has been for much of the year the most expensive gas station in the US. They never change their prices. Premium is $4.99, always, has been for years. I have a friend who works for Cal Fire, he said an alert went out over the radio last time they were here for a fire, "Do not use the gas station at Glen Annie and 101".

The last time the gas station application got turned down the guy who was smart/lucky enough to inherit that property pitched an absolute fit, he was going to close down the farmers market they have out there and I forget what other draconian things. This was a couple of years ago, farmers market is still there and.....apparently now it's a Supercharger station rather than a gas station.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Doug Martoccia
Okay, nothing to see behind the construction fence at Camino Real, just a hole and some dirt. Five Points, where they are going to put it is fantastic, for travellers it's right at a freeway offramp/onramp, close as you can get. And no one parks there, lots of room, hopefully there will be a lot of them:)

I went to Camino Real tonight, no movement on the hole in the parking lot. Seems too small of an area. Drove around back, this time went behind all the businesses, and found another much larger area fenced off behind Home Depot. This area has equipment in it, I took, apologies in advance, I'll go get a better one later, but I took a picture. Could be Home Depot doing something for themselves, if so they hired a contractor who builds supercharger stations.

Sitting behind the fenced off area is a trailer belonging to a company called Ambient Electric, not local. Hmm, I thought, I wonder who they are. Found mention of them on this board.

Ambient Electric | Projects

If THAT'S the spot it's going to be located it makes more sense size wise, and would be out of the way, but for the shopping center maybe too far out of the way. It's a hike to get to the other side of the buildings from there.

IMG_7046.jpg

I went to Camino Real tonight, no movement on the hole in the parking lot. Seems too small of an area. Drove around back, this time went behind all the businesses, and found another much larger area fenced off behind Home Depot. This area has equipment in it, I took, apologies in advance, I'll go get a better one later, but I took a picture. Could be Home Depot doing something for themselves, if so they hired a contractor who builds supercharger stations.

Sitting behind the fenced off area is a trailer belonging to a company called Ambient Electric, not local. Hmm, I thought, I wonder who they are. Found mention of them on this board.

If THAT'S the spot it's going to be located it makes more sense size wise, and would be out of the way, but for the shopping center maybe too far out of the way. It's a hike to get to the other side of the buildings from there.

View attachment 493672
I drove around the parking lot a few days ago too...the space out front did seem pretty small..any idea how many stations they're installing? I messaged the shopping center through fb and haven't gotten any response.

View attachment 493672
BINGO! Your picture definitely establishes that as the supercharger build. On the right hand side of it, behind the wrapped up switchgear cabinets, you can see the precast bases for the supercharger pedestals.

BINGO! Your picture definitely establishes that as the supercharger build. On the right hand side of it, behind the wrapped up switchgear cabinets, you can see the precast bases for the supercharger pedestals.

I kind of thought that too, but I didn't want to say it, I already gave the wrong location once:)

I was on the road today, I'll get pictures tomorrow. During the day:)

Does it make sense to keep one thread for, what looks like, three Santa Barbara-area Superchargers (Camino Real Marketplace in Goleta, Five Points in Santa Barbara, and the Miramar in Montecito)? Or, to eliminate confusion, should there be separate threads?

Does it make sense to keep one thread for, what looks like, three Santa Barbara-area Superchargers (Camino Real Marketplace in Goleta, Five Points in Santa Barbara, and the Miramar in Montecito)? Or, to eliminate confusion, should there be separate threads?

Thanks for asking the question. There should be separate threads. Personally, I was actually confused about how many Supercharger sites were being discussed in this thread (don't know the Santa Barbara area well).

Bruce.

Reactions: emupilot
Hi Bruce - There are a total of three, one in the City of Goleta, at the Camino Real Marketplace, that one is if not under construction is having the parts delivered to it. There are 12 platforms behind the green fence.

It is is roughly seven miles down (driving south) the 101 from there to the the Five Points shopping center in the City of Santa Barbara, they have an approved permit for a Supercharger and a great location to put it, a fairly large underused parking lot next to Big 5 Sporting Goods.

There is no indication of construction anywhere there, and the permit was just issued, I would expect that they would at least worry about getting through the holiday shopping season before starting on that, if their intention is to build it right away.

Continuing south on the 101 another eight miles and you get to the Miramar in Montecito, they have either an approved permit or a ready to be approved permit, I don't know how to read it, for eight stalls. No indication of construction. Montecito is not a city, it is an unincorporated area of Santa Barbara

The whole area starting with Goleta and ending at Montecito is widely known as Santa Barbara, and the dividing lines are streets, I live five houses into Goleta, if I lived on the next street over I would be in an unincorporated area of Santa Barbara.

The actual map of the City of Santa Barbara is one of the goofier you'll ever see, I'll post the only decent one I could find. Basically it encomasses the city proper, then goes out into the ocean, then comes back inland a few miles away in the middle of the City of Goleta, which was incorporated long after Santa Barbara was, to take the airport and the property around it.

Second Supervisorial District Purple Line Indicates District Boundary Light Blue Line Indicates City of Santa Barbara Boundary

Last edited:
I went to the Camino Real fenced off area behind Home Depot and took some pictures, as promised. There are 12 pedestals there now. I was guessing that's what those were when I went past a couple of nights ago, yesterday I was at the SLO charger and I took a picture of one of the cabinets there to see how it compared to the one behind the fence, same thing.

So, first image is of the SLO cabinet, next the one at Camino Real, then the pedestals. I guess I wouldn't want to say that they are going to build it behind the fence, but it would appear so. There is as I said a trailer from the contractor there, and there is also a storage container.

IMG_7052.jpg
IMG_7071.jpg
IMG_7074.jpg
IMG_7075.jpg

@88911cs, thanks for the summary of the apparently three Supercharger sites in the Santa Barbara area. @2TNE, thanks for asking a question that has been on my mind for the past few days. I'm going to try to split off the posts for the Santa Barbara (State Street) and Montecito sites into their own threads. I will update this post when that's done.

Update: New threads created:

Supercharger - Santa Barbara (Permit found Dec 2019)
Supercharger - Montecito (Permit found Dec 2019)

I tried to keep the various sub-threads together when moving posts, but I'd be first to admit that this wasn't a perfect job.

@Chuq @BlueShift The discussion links on supercharge.info can probably change to the new threads now. Thanks!

Bruce.

Last edited: