Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Gothenburg, NE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Both Ogallala and Gothenburg are listed on the nav map in our tesla!
They both went live yesterday. What a great Friday it was! First Ogallala went online, enabling me to reach my father's in Kearney. Then Gothenburg...and then I found out my car had already arrived in Denver. One of the reasons I delayed it was the lack of Superchargers in Nebraska so the timing was almost perfect. Now I just need to wait a few days for delivery. Hopefully they'll get Grand Island and Lincoln online soon. If they do, I'll be able to do a 1000+ mile road trip around Kansas and Nebraska this holiday season. Actually, I'll be able to do my trip with the existing Superchargers but Grand Island would make it a lot easier. I'd stop by Lincoln just for the fun of it.

Last edited:
Over in the Memphis SuC thread there is an ongoing conversation about low charge rates, and potential geofencing from Tesla. Anyone who uses this (or any other brand new SuC) please post 1. Your starting SOC 2. Your max charge rate, in kW 3. The approximate distance of the SuC from your primary residence 4. approximate ambient temperature.

All local owners have maxed out at 73 kW when using the brand new Memphis SuC, regardless of SOC or ambient temperature.

Over in the Memphis SuC thread there is an ongoing conversation about low charge rates, and potential geofencing from Tesla. Anyone who uses this (or any other brand new SuC) please post 1. Your starting SOC 2. Your max charge rate, in kW 3. The approximate distance of the SuC from your primary residence 4. approximate ambient temperature.

All local owners have maxed out at 73 kW when using the brand new Memphis SuC, regardless of SOC or ambient temperature.
what is the suspected reason? preventing from local abuse? promote charging at home? opening up charging slots for long distance travel? There has been numerous discussions on other sites regarding this and some feel spited by this and some are for this, if it is truly being done intentionally by tesla. I can see both sides and I personally believe that charging locally should be limited to some extent.

Reactions: CSFTN

I sure hope that doesn't prohibit us from using the Lincoln Supercharger. We live about 65 mules away from it but we'll need it to go to Missouri. Right now we are barely able to make it to the St. Joseph CHadeMO.

I sure hope that doesn't prohibit us from using the Lincoln Supercharger.
I very much doubt Tesla will prohibit anything. But it's quite possible that local supercharging will be made less desirable in some way. Probably no longer free and unlimited. Tesla has many ways to do that.

But never mind. This conversation has been had many times. It doesn't belong on a supercharger thread.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
While I agree that a discussion of the pros and cons of local supercharging, and the merits of Tesla limiting local supercharging proliferate and probably don't belong here, I respectfully disagree that this isn't the appropriate forum to report whether there is in fact a limitation of supercharging rate at a specific supercharger. If there is a limitation, I think it's very worthwhile to trouble shoot and diagnose the cause.

Reactions: msksus1
I very much doubt Tesla will prohibit anything. But it's quite possible that local supercharging will be made less desirable in some way. Probably no longer free and unlimited. Tesla has many ways to do that.

But never mind. This conversation has been had many times. It doesn't belong on a supercharger thread.
Where would you like for us to take this discussion? If you feel this particular forum listing is wrong, please direct us to an appropriate one. I am guessing I'm not alone, but this topic does concern me in the middle of the country. Tesla has the ability do what so ever they want with limiting or not limiting charging stations. We have not been afforded the same convenience of having multiple chargers within an hour range to travel we have real experiences with range anxiety issues. Many of us have kept faith in Tesla, despite long delays in supercharging infrastructure. We were led to believe that these charging stations where to be placed as early as 2014. Not to mention "free unlimited charging for life". Participants in this forum have legit concerns and we want opinions of others' experiences and or opinions. If another thread is appropriate, I will start it. Not trying to step on toes here, but want to help create a discussion area appropriate for other Tesla owners and future Tesla owners.

Where would you like for us to take this discussion?
Oh, it's spread all over the place. Best search for posts containing supercharger and abuse or congestion or local or some combination.

Here's one. And another. I've never kept track of where there were particularly good discussions. Things have, of course, changed now that Tesla has indicated it will have a tracking and paying mechanism in place next year.

Where would you like for us to take this discussion? If you feel this particular forum listing is wrong, please direct us to an appropriate one. I am guessing I'm not alone, but this topic does concern me in the middle of the country. Tesla has the ability do what so ever they want with limiting or not limiting charging stations. We have not been afforded the same convenience of having multiple chargers within an hour range to travel we have real experiences with range anxiety issues.

I added this topic to the main North America supercharging thread. Tesla Supercharger network

Reactions: Chuq
Where would you like for us to take this discussion? If you feel this particular forum listing is wrong, please direct us to an appropriate one. I am guessing I'm not alone, but this topic does concern me in the middle of the country. Tesla has the ability do what so ever they want with limiting or not limiting charging stations. We have not been afforded the same convenience of having multiple chargers within an hour range to travel we have real experiences with range anxiety issues. Many of us have kept faith in Tesla, despite long delays in supercharging infrastructure. We were led to believe that these charging stations where to be placed as early as 2014. Not to mention "free unlimited charging for life". Participants in this forum have legit concerns and we want opinions of others' experiences and or opinions. If another thread is appropriate, I will start it. Not trying to step on toes here, but want to help create a discussion area appropriate for other Tesla owners and future Tesla owners.
I do tend to sympathize. I've had my car since the middle of 2015. I've made a few trips and have about 7k miles on the car. The reason is that I never had access to the west of Lincoln despite the fact the map showed predicted installations. I never thought Tesla was very up front about this. I mean..change the map. But it was always and is now..BOGUS. So I'm happy about I80. And I'm happy that I will now be able to make some trips. But I'm not so happy that the philosophy of free charging is going away. So, okay, I'll take this to another forum but I think for a while it's appropriate here since Gothenburg was the FIRST to go on line in Nebraska that has been devoid of charging spots for years.

Reactions: msksus1
Something to be aware of when approaching Gothenburg exit 211 from the east: As of 12/13/16, the Tesla Nav road database contains a flaw. It doesn’t think you can travel the 1/2 mile north on Lake Av/Hwy 47 to Platte River Rd, so it directs you to exit at Cozad, exit 222, and use US Hwy 30. Don’t believe it. The road north at the exit is fine. (once past Cozad, it actually directs you to turn around and go back to 222!) When approaching from the west, the Nav doesn’t have this problem. Go figure!

Tesla has been informed and the vendor is being directed to fix it. Google Maps, Map Quest and the others do not have this problem, only Tesla Nav.

Last edited:
Two comments and a question:
The Tesla Nav map still contains the flaw mentioned in my #53 posting above. It doesn't think you can turn right at Gothenburg exit (to go north). Don't believe it. Just continue west bound on I80 to exit 211, turn right, and the Nav will take you the rest of the way (1/4 mile north, 1/4 mile west). Gothenburg chargers 1A and 1B are not getting up to max output. Charger 3A does (329 mpch)
Question: does anyone know of a database showing which chargers at each SC are operating at max output and which are not? This would be a good resource for all of us.

Reactions: JimK
Charged here today, 5/6/20. No charging issues, great power. Still the only supercharger I have been to with an actual trash can and a bucket of water and a windshield cleaner squeegee! Also, the nearby Comfort Suites, which is really nice and clean, has been the first hotel I have seen (from Phoenix to western Nebraska) that actually had its front doors unlocked! (Traveling cross country via superchargers has been a little tough in the COVID era.)

Reactions: MarkoC
Charged here today.
The Nebraska Barn & Grill restaurant is a funky road joint with good food and nice people just about 50 yards from the Superchargers. I think they are the ones who put out buckets of water and squeegees at the Superchargers, along with trash cans and this sign. We patronized the place with great satisfaction. Hope you will do the same

Attachments

• Coke for Fob.jpeg
    Coke for Fob.jpeg
    972.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Informative
Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
We have charged here numerous times.
We were told by the staff in the Nebraska Bar and Grill that the person who owns the Nebraska B & G has driven a Tesla since before the superchargers were installed here, and that said person also owns the hotel in the Wheatland, WY, that has superchargers and destination chargers (Heartland Inn?).
We patronize both the Nebraska B & G and the Heartland Inn in Wheatland whenever our trip planning enables such.