Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Grand Junction, CO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been trying like crazy to find anything on the Mesa County and Grand Junction websites that might give us an idea what they are doing but I have been unable to find a permit for the swap out. That leads me to believe that the electrical service is not changing. Could V3 use the same power supply as V2?

I've been trying like crazy to find anything on the Mesa County and Grand Junction websites that might give us an idea what they are doing but I have been unable to find a permit for the swap out. That leads me to believe that the electrical service is not changing. Could V3 use the same power supply as V2?
You might check the Supercharger - Blanding, UT thread as well as it seems it is being upgraded too. Hopefully they are going to be upgrading v2 to v3.

• Informative
Reactions: CO_MY and sdoorex
I got paltry charge rates at this SC recently. I vaguely remember 50kw max and the stalls were packed. We were headed West to Moab and seemed to take forever to top us up to the limited 80% charge due to high demand, and when we got back to the car, there was a Model 3 waiting-- seems like they need to increase capacity here. Also, I didn't look carefully at the layout of the SC stall #s-- I ended up parking away from others, not realizing I was on 3B when a guy on 3A was already charging and apparently I knocked his rate down (?)-- he moved his car to an adjacent stall to get off the #3 circuit (but he should have had priority??). Anyhow, generally seems this location should be improved/expanded-- there's certainly lots of parking here to put in more stalls. The food court at the mall had a decent Mexican counter in it, gfriend got a frozen chocolate banana she liked...

I got paltry charge rates at this SC recently. I vaguely remember 50kw max and the stalls were packed. We were headed West to Moab and seemed to take forever to top us up to the limited 80% charge due to high demand, and when we got back to the car, there was a Model 3 waiting-- seems like they need to increase capacity here. Also, I didn't look carefully at the layout of the SC stall #s-- I ended up parking away from others, not realizing I was on 3B when a guy on 3A was already charging and apparently I knocked his rate down (?)-- he moved his car to an adjacent stall to get off the #3 circuit (but he should have had priority??). Anyhow, generally seems this location should be improved/expanded-- there's certainly lots of parking here to put in more stalls. The food court at the mall had a decent Mexican counter in it, gfriend got a frozen chocolate banana she liked...
They expanded Limon last month by adding 8 v3 in addition to the original 6 v2 stalls. Hopefully they will continue to upgrade or supplement all the v2 locations along I-70.

They expanded Limon last month by adding 8 v3 in addition to the original 6 v2 stalls. Hopefully they will continue to upgrade or supplement all the v2 locations along I-70.
I'm in Grand Junction today and it looks like they are adding 8 new v3 Supercharger stalls. There's also a trench where they will be running conduit to some Rivian chargers nearby. It looks like the concrete was just poured today! I suppose there's a slight chance these are for Rivian but they are right next to the Superchargers and the Rivian equipment is farther away and the lot is torn up there as well.

Attachments

• 20221021_182257.jpg
    20221021_182257.jpg
    832.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 20221021_182359.jpg
    20221021_182359.jpg
    807 KB · Views: 51
  • 20221021_182500.jpg
    20221021_182500.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 20221021_184001.jpg
    20221021_184001.jpg
    584.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 20221021_184019.jpg
    20221021_184019.jpg
    537.7 KB · Views: 55
Hmm. I looked at the pictures and noticed the conduit doesn't look the same for all 8 stalls. 6 have large conduit and 2 have small conduit. Maybe they aren't Tesla? We heard from someone who said they were here last year and he said Tesla was surveying this exact spot for an expansion.

Hmm. I looked at the pictures and noticed the conduit doesn't look the same for all 8 stalls. 6 have large conduit and 2 have small conduit. Maybe they aren't Tesla? We heard from someone who said they were here last year and he said Tesla was surveying this exact spot for an expansion.
One of the photos has a Rivian shipping label on the box. Rivian seems to be putting in 6 stalls at their charging sites.

One of the photos has a Rivian shipping label on the box. Rivian seems to be putting in 6 stalls at their charging sites.
Yeah. We knew some were Rivian but were hoping some were Tesla. We heard from someone who stopped there today. He spoke to the work crew and they said they are all Rivian. Oh well. Hopefully Tesla will upgrade Grand Junction or add a better location nearby.

Yeah. We knew some were Rivian but were hoping some were Tesla. We heard from someone who stopped there today. He spoke to the work crew and they said they are all Rivian. Oh well. Hopefully Tesla will upgrade Grand Junction or add a better location nearby.
I was first in line when I got there today but still had to wait 20 minutes. Perhaps the 80% prompt would have been useful but I didn't get one. When I went to unplug there were 4 in line waiting. The charge rate was quite slow. 50-something kW on a paired stall with warm battery and low SOC. Of course all the stalls were paired!

GJ supercharger was a bit of a mess yesterday. It's only 6 stalls of 120kW to begin with, and stall 1B then 1A went down. Since I really only needed about 10 or 15kWh to get home with a good reserve, I used the Rivian Waypoint L2 for a bit until there were 2 free working stalls, then I moved over, but someone took the other working one pretty much immediately. In the ~10 minutes I was plugged in to the Supercharger itself, half a dozen cars came, tried the broken stall(s), and left without charging.

I would really like to see Rivian open the RAN DCFCs to other brands. There was only 1 or two out of six of those in use the whole time, so it would have spread the load and given them more revenue to let CCS capable Tesla cars move over there instead.

Last edited:
Grand Junction has needed upgrading and expansion for some years, being part of the original transcontinental route ten years ago. However, with Parachute to the east and Montrose to the south, GJ can be skipped for most travel routes. Locals charging there can pick their time of day.

Approximate distances:
Parachute to Green River 144 miles
Montrose to Green River 161 miles
Montrose to Parachute 98 miles

Not ideal perhaps, but doable for most cars.

Grand Junction has needed upgrading and expansion for some years, being part of the original transcontinental route ten years ago. However, with Parachute to the east and Montrose to the south, GJ can be skipped for most travel routes. Locals charging there can pick their time of day.

Approximate distances:
Parachute to Green River 144 miles
Montrose to Green River 161 miles
Montrose to Parachute 98 miles

Not ideal perhaps, but doable for most cars.

I do feel they will upgrade GJ but it will not be by the mall. I could see it off the airport exit. You are right though, GJ could be skipped. I see them upgrading Green River before GJ at this moment.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
One set of 4 or 8 each V3/V4s at the Palisade end (next to the hydro plant?) and at the Fruita end of town on I70 would be ideal for me. Supposedly a NEVI funded install at the Pilot Travel Center at I70 / US 6 / business 70 interchange might take care of the latter though.

The mall was probably the easiest place to get a big power tap back then, but expanding the mall location is far from ideal IMNSHO.

Last edited: