Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Grand Rapids, MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The pictures were definitely the old thicker style. There will probably be a gradual roll out of the new cables much like there was with the lighted pedestal design. Hopefully the design allows it to easily be retrofitted to existing installations.

Hopefully the design allows it to easily be retrofitted to existing installations.

This is a bit off-topic, but I'm optimistic that it will be possible after seeing KmanAuto's video. It appears that the cooling takes place within the pedestal, which would mean they could replace the pedestals and not anything beyond that (i.e. no digging). That still might be an expense they don't want to undertake at this point, but I could at least see damaged cords/pedestals being upgraded over time.

For now I think Mountain View is a test location, and they will wait a while to roll out the new design at other sites until they have confidence that the design is right.

Thanks for these updates. For those who have traveled a lot in the SC Network, do you feel this location in an 85D would be an easy trip to Traverse City or would there be too much range anxiety? Also does anyone have any recs on charging in the Traverse City or Harbor Springs/Charlevoix/Petosky region? Thanks so much!

For those who have traveled a lot in the SC Network, do you feel this location in an 85D would be an easy trip to Traverse City or would there be too much range anxiety?

I would not make the trip to TC with just this SC in GR. There is a destination charger at the Grand Traverse Resort and Hotel, I believe... If you can hit that then yes by all means complete that trip!

What? Google Maps is telling me 149mi... that's not even a question in an S60, let alone an 85D. I wouldn't try to make it there *and back*, but I don't think that's what SPF was asking.

What? Google Maps is telling me 149mi... that's not even a question in an S60, let alone an 85D. I wouldn't try to make it there *and back*, but I don't think that's what SPF was asking.

I was definitely talking about there and back. But I think I answered the question when I said make the trip if you can hit the destination charger at Grand Traverse Resort.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are some more photos of the GR Supercharger I took around 1:30pm today.

Dropbox - 2015-06-18 GR Tesla Supercharger

Thanks for these updates. For those who have traveled a lot in the SC Network, do you feel this location in an 85D would be an easy trip to Traverse City or would there be too much range anxiety? Also does anyone have any recs on charging in the Traverse City or Harbor Springs/Charlevoix/Petosky region? Thanks so much!
We are located about 2 hours north of Grand Rapids and have two HPWC's. Check out the Tesla Destination charging website. http://www.teslamotors.com/destination-charging

Thanks you for the replies - much appreciated. Unfortunately, and unbelievably to me, the Grand Traverse Resort does not have HPWC. They do have two chargers for EVs but I am not sure which they have and last summer they did not seem to be functioning. It does seem that getting to TC would be doable once the GR SC is up and running. Unfortunately there are so few destination chargers in Northern Michigan - seems like huge potential as there are so many Tesla owners in Chicago who visit that area. I'm heading there \this weekend and it's a shame I can't take the Tesla. Jim, where are you located? Thanks!

Thanks you for the replies - much appreciated. Unfortunately, and unbelievably to me, the Grand Traverse Resort does not have HPWC. They do have two chargers for EVs but I am not sure which they have and last summer they did not seem to be functioning. It does seem that getting to TC would be doable once the GR SC is up and running. Unfortunately there are so few destination chargers in Northern Michigan - seems like huge potential as there are so many Tesla owners in Chicago who visit that area. I'm heading there \this weekend and it's a shame I can't take the Tesla. Jim, where are you located? Thanks!

You can. Just stop at the St Joe Supercharger and drive north to Crystal Mountain from here you can drive north to harbor springs if you like. I have done it.

Took some more photos of the progress last night. Looks like construction is wrapping up and the Electrical Service inspection has now been approved with the comment "1600a Ajustable main breaker set at 800amps. I verified the settings on the breaker with the paperwork, see attached scan.", that info came from https://www.accessmygov.com/CD_PropertySearchDetails/PropertyRecordDetails?RecordKey=782dd347-119d-4300-8d39-a4bb00ebef41&RecordKeyType=11&uid=179. Hopefully the supercharger will come online this week!

Here are the photos, enjoy!

Dropbox - 2015-06-20 GR Tesla Supercharger

Took some more photos of the progress last night. Looks like construction is wrapping up and the Electrical Service inspection has now been approved with the comment "1600a Ajustable main breaker set at 800amps. I verified the settings on the breaker with the paperwork, see attached scan.", that info came from https://www.accessmygov.com/CD_PropertySearchDetails/PropertyRecordDetails?RecordKey=782dd347-119d-4300-8d39-a4bb00ebef41&RecordKeyType=11&uid=179. Hopefully the supercharger will come online this week!

Here are the photos, enjoy!

Dropbox - 2015-06-20 GR Tesla Supercharger

Sounds like a misunderstanding on the inspectors part, and everything was correct. The breakers in the Distribution Center are fancy electronic breakers who's trip current, time delay, etc, can be set, so apparently these were 1,600 Amp max breakers set to 800 Amps. These breakers are rated to run at 100% continuous, the current through the breakers can be read remotely and they can be reset remotely. They are not your average circuit breaker. Here is an application note that shows some of what they can do: http://static.schneider-electric.us/docs/Circuit%20Protection/Low%20Voltage%20Power%20Circuit%20Breakers/0600DB1104.pdf

Setting them to 800 Amps is plenty for this site. 800 Amps at 480 Volts, 3-phase is 665 kW, plenty for an 8-stall Supercharger Site.

Last edited: