Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Grants Pass, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I was traveling north on Aug 31, I pulled up to charger and tried to open charge port with handle button, but it didn't work. "Strange" - I thought, and tried next one, only to discover that none of them are working...
While on the call with Tesla, one of the locals come by to say that that part of the town had power outage.
Thinking about being stuck for extra couple hours, I was looking for charging options on Plugshare, but luckily power was restored shortly afterwards.
I took me about 20 minutes extra, but I've got a bit of scare still....

Glad to hear you know about Plugshare! Not all Tesla owners seem to be aware of it. Situations like this, although rare, are why I still carry my CHAdeMO adapter, which I really needed prior to the opening of the superchargers along 101. You may have notoced on Plugshare that there are CHAdeMOs positioned at relatively short intervals along I-5.

20190830_153554.jpg

Busy labor day here, all spaces full but a sign of more to come.

On another note, I actually stayed the night down the street last night. Used an L2 charger at the new Hampton Inn so I didn't even go to the supercharger. Had I remembered that people were wanting some scouting info, I would have done a drive-by.

I really don't like this location much. I'd rather see them just add new superchargers in Sutherlin/Roseburg and Medford/Ashland. With the ridiculous supercharger tapering, it's very hard to skip a supercharger driving through Oregon on I-5, which is super annoying. You either have to make an insanely long stop, or stop at every one. Neither option is good! It won't be as bad once the weather warms up but for 6 months out of the year, this is pretty annoying. Obviously, I would prefer a new software update that goes back to the older, less harsh style of tapering, but I'm assuming there is a reason they made it that way.

This is probably the biggest bottleneck along all of I-5 right now. If you have a Chademo adapter, might be good to use that in or around Grants Pass. You'll probably get through faster, and won't contribute to the clogging of the supercharger there.

Yeah every other necessary stop on I-5 has 14 stalls minimum. From north to south: Arlington, Centralia, Springfield, Mount Shasta, Kettleman City. The metro areas of Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, LA and SD have many options so those aren't really issues for road trippers.

Last edited: