Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Grants Pass, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is probably the biggest bottleneck along all of I-5 right now. If you have a Chademo adapter, might be good to use that in or around Grants Pass. You'll probably get through faster, and won't contribute to the clogging of the supercharger there.

Wow, things sure have changed! The last time I went there I was on my way to the Holiday Bowl. It was the day after Christmas, cold as all get out, there was no one there except for me, all the restaurants were closed, as I got there right around midnight. So, I plugged in to the supercharger, set the internal temp of the car to 70 - it was in the mid 20's outside, laid the seat back and slept for the night. When I woke up, there still wasn't anyone there.

Yeah every other necessary stop on I-5 has 14 stalls minimum. From north to south: Arlington, Centralia, Springfield, Mount Shasta, Kettleman City. The metro areas of Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, LA and SD have many options so those aren't really issues for road trippers.
What are you driving that you can get from Shasta to Kettleman City? :p

You've got some other big gaps in there too. Of course, you're in a 100 so I maybe you can comfortably make those gaps. My X (usually carrying bikes) won't even come close! :rolleyes:

This is probably the biggest bottleneck along all of I-5 right now. If you have a Chademo adapter, might be good to use that in or around Grants Pass. You'll probably get through faster, and won't contribute to the clogging of the supercharger there.

I live just north of Portland and my S90D and I always have to stop in Springfield and Grants Pass, but if there was a supercharger in Roseburg I could skip both. I wish I-5 in Oregon would get a little more attention from the supercharger gods.

Does anyone recommend going through Klamath Falls as an alternative?
Yeah that was discussed elsewhere, either in this thread or another. I think it's a good option in the summer, especially if you think Grants Pass might be busy (like if it's a weekend and the Nav is showing it as full when you are leaving Springfield). It's only 18 minutes longer and it's more scenic in my opinion. Be careful in winter though as that road from Eugene over to US97 (state highway 58) can be snowy and/or icy.

Yeah that was discussed elsewhere, either in this thread or another. I think it's a good option in the summer, especially if you think Grants Pass might be busy (like if it's a weekend and the Nav is showing it as full when you are leaving Springfield). It's only 18 minutes longer and it's more scenic in my opinion. Be careful in winter though as that road from Eugene over to US97 (state highway 58) can be snowy and/or icy.
Thanks. I am not familiar with the area, but will be driving through twice in August, so appreciate the info. If 18 extra minutes of driving bypasses a line to charge, sounds like a good alternative.

Thanks. I am not familiar with the area, but will be driving through twice in August, so appreciate the info. If 18 extra minutes of driving bypasses a line to charge, sounds like a good alternative.
If you're going through twice and you haven't been in the area before, I would go one way one time and the other way the other time. This is my general driving strategy as I like to see different roads and places as much as possible. Of course, you'll need to guess a little on which time Grants Pass is likely to be full. A lot of that will depend on day of the week/time of day, and of course you should check the Nav as you approach your fork in the road.

Reactions: totoro722
Moderator note: The next few posts were merged from a new thread.

I searched this forum and did not find a dedicated thread about the Grants Pass Supercharger. Did I miss it somehow?

This location was one of the earlier I5 Superchargers in Oregon and I’ve visited it many times over the years. Was there this week and noticed for the first time that a Starlink dish was mounted on top of one of the parking lot light poles. I wonder why Tesla decided to install it?

FD5A816C-6857-4F89-879B-C8EAA9E26166.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I searched this forum and did not find a dedicated thread about the Grants Pass Supercharger. Did I miss it somehow?

This location was one of the earlier I5 Superchargers in Oregon and I’ve visited it many times over the years. Was there this week and noticed for the first time that a Starlink dish was mounted on top of one of the parking lot light poles. I wonder why Tesla decided to install it?

View attachment 892138
Wifi?

I’d rather see V3’s installed there though.

Had to use Google to find it myself: Supercharger - Grants Pass, OR
Very strange. I used the TMC search function to search the “Northwest supercharger locations” forum specifically for “Grants pass” and the results page did not show that thread.

I’ve asked the moderator of this forum to merge this thread with that one.

Reactions: ElectricIAC

View attachment 892138

Tesla superchargers communicate with HQ to charge accounts and I believe the monitor supercharger health remotely. They may on a program to connect them to Starlink instead of terrestrial internet. They may be doing that at locations with poor internet service. I don't know how good the broadband is in Grants Pass, but it may have been intermittent enough they installed Starlink.

View attachment 892138
That makes sense that Tesla would install Starlink at this location. AT&T’s cellular coverage map shows that it still has only LTE service and no 5G or 5G+. Once Tesla starts installing 5G modems in their cars, this location would still need Starlink to get good speed for streaming Netflix or YouTube while Supercharging.

E465A027-8757-4AC6-A6D6-5B9D52202806.png