Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Great Falls, MT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottf200

Feb 3, 2013
Chicagoland
Supercharger - Great Falls, MT

There is an excellent location in Great Falls, MT that I recently discovered. This multi-stage development was started over a year ago. It is slightly upscale for the area. The hotel they put up as 4 Tesla destination charges *if* you are staying there. Not useful for those traveling through. It does mean Tesla has the beginning of a relationship there.

Here is the main contact if you wanted to let him know that you'd be happy to visit establishments in the area if they had a Tesla Supercharger. I have passed various bits of info to him but if you wanted to *nicely* encourage him and show him what a Tesla community is like that'd be cool -- Jeremiah Johnson -- [email protected]

Development is: West Bank Landing - Great Falls, Montana Development | Mixed Use River Front Sustainable Development

Local newspaper article: What's going on at West Bank Landing?

... in progress ....

This hotel is built already with some Tesla Destination chargers (old picture)
NmTRD7Y.jpg

1.5 miles from I-15

KkS4KYO.jpg

Finishes a nice look via MT, Canada, WA, ID

0715Iie.jpg

YvmD4e9.jpg

tXN4Vda.jpg

Last edited:
Others that may be interested: @abasile , @PLUS EV , @ChrisPDX , @ReddyLeaf , @KJD, @Solarwind

Follow red up arrows to go to thread where the below were taken from. For example: "said: "

On the 2015 Supercharger map, it appears there are plans for an SC site in the vicinity of Great Falls, MT. From Great Falls to Calgary the distance is about 320 miles / 515 km, so it does seem likely that Tesla will fill this gap in the medium term. I agree that it would be best if drivers from the south can continue on to the Canadian Rockies (as my family has done) or to Edmonton on Superchargers, without having to stop and charge at a hotel or campground around Calgary. When this is factored in, and if you count the projected SC in Great Falls, then 3-4 Superchargers does seem right.
Sweet! I-10 is now passable for those with an 85+. The entire interstate system is nearly passable at this point. If they added 3 or 4 superchargers in North Dakota and one each in Fort Smith, AR and Great Falls, MT, you could drive the entire interstate system on superchargers with an 85 or bigger battery.
I prefer filling holes and being able to drive *anywhere* so I'll go with: 1) Burns, OR 2) Ely, NV 3) Great Falls, MT 4) Lander, WY 5) Dodge City, KS
There are also those of us with a MS60 that would not be able to easily make it between CDL and Missoula even in nice weather! My brother-in-law lives near Great Falls, MT, so we are really looking forward to driving to his place next summer in our MS60. Superior will most definitely be a pit stop on the drive there!
Great find! This got me thinking about the connection up into Canada. I think Tesla has some planning work here. The next leg up from Butte to Helena is too short (65 mi), and given the road structure, the next logical location in Great Falls (156 mi) might be too far in the winter. Also, then from Great Falls to Shelby, the next logical location, is too short at only 88 mi. Shelby to either Fort MacLeod or Lethbridge, AB is good for winter (120-130 mi). So where should they locate between Butte and Shelby? Cascade (mid-point but small and no real crossroads), Great Falls (with the long leg), or double up with both Helena and Great Falls?
How about filling in I-15 between Butte, MT and Fort MacLeod AB ?
Great Falls MT would be a good start.

Last edited:
Reactions: abasile and KJD
I pinged Jeremiah. Maybe we'll hear something soon.

We haven’t discussed it yet but we will when we meet today and I will be in touch - Jeremiah

I sent this back:

Here is a picture and article on the one in Missoula. I would think you guys could get some good press if you did this as well.
Tesla Motors opens Supercharger station in Missoula

FuRCAcf9AM3fZMcTNx-huInwyBmLOim-uBAYUlWpRXNJOXLCttac0pZFkgtr7t4H_nxdTJU6DGSbcDxHWbjchmQzLrgX5OMz9laHVEJhqTrETSgwQ_RlieRmyianheeEmUQWVwdJSaDdjcctMhP2rxOjYMS23mD7trVPqwGQQlIS9WUrJjcaWedQvLvYAxwfHS6XUl8PmIoDNGCHEpSYuOuakiYIsJREJ5Joh6g_GrZPQLKQhHU=s0-d-e1-ft

Here is another article about Montana and electric car chargings.

Montana charging stations give electric vehicles room to roam

Article text:
"Charging stations can also be found outside many Montana restaurants and coffee shops, such as Suds Hut bar and grill and one of the Starbucks locations in Helena. Several Montana hotels and motels provide them for customers as well.

Tesla Motors now has “Supercharger” stations for Tesla vehicles in eight Montana communities: Billings, Big Timber, Bozeman, West Yellowstone, Lima, Butte, Missoula and Superior.

Part of what drove the expansion in Montana is national park access, Tesla told The Montana Standard in 2014, which is when the company installed many of its charging stations in the state. Tesla tries to place the stations in convenient locations about 150 miles apart."

Last edited:
Reactions: KJD
I'm going to guess these are on the cost-cutting list for 2018. Shame, because Great Falls, MT _could_ or _could_ _almost_ make I-15 "complete" (at least in reasonable conditions): it's about 150 miles from the Butte, MT Supercharger, and under 120 miles to Sweetgrass, MT.

Reactions: KJD
How about it people, lets find that Great Falls location. ;)
Done. It's going to be in the parking lot on the south side of the Hampton Inn, across 14th street from the Great Falls Marketplace shopping center (Smith's, AMC theater, Home Depot, etc).

Address: 2301 14th St SW, Great Falls, MT 59404
GPS (guess): 47.482950, -111.337681

Info comes from finding the underground utilities locating request. OneCall ticket # 19065897.
Original Call Date: 07/16/19 12:25 pm
Work to Begin Date: 07/19/19 12:00 am

Type of Work: TESLA SUPER CHARGER SITES
Work Being Done For: ENERGY ONE

Location of Work: EXCAVATION SITE IS ON THE E SIDE OF THE ROAD. ABV ADD IS APX 75 FT E FROM ABV INTER MARK ON THE S SIDE OF THE BLDG IN THE SE PARKING AREA AT ABV ADD
Remarks: AREA WILL NOT BE MARKED IN WHITE
@BlueShift @Chuq @MarcoRP

Done. It's going to be in the parking lot on the south side of the Hampton Inn, across 14th street from the Great Falls Marketplace shopping center (Smith's, AMC theater, Home Depot, etc).

Address: 2301 14th St SW, Great Falls, MT 59404
GPS (guess): 47.482950, -111.337681

Info comes from finding the underground utilities locating request. OneCall ticket # 19065897.
@BlueShift @Chuq @MarcoRP
Yippee ki yay! 2 other ones on the map! I was going to add them on Supercharge Info but Chuq did so before I could get to it! Does it say anywhere that its under construction?

Reactions: scottf200
  • Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Yippee ki yay! 2 other ones on the map! I was going to add them on Supercharge Info but Chuq did so before I could get to it! Does it say anywhere that its under construction?
No, the filing I found for Great Falls doesn't mean it's already under construction. The same company is doing all these Montana builds and there have been 2 of those calls before actual ground breaking at all 3 Montana locations that we know are active (Helena, Glendive, and Miles City). The first was in July or August. Then another right before digging started in September or October. The one I found for Great Falls is the first. So, while it's possible that it's already under way (e.g. if it was started before Helena), I think it's more likely that they haven't started yet and they'll call for an updated request before breaking ground.

Someone local will have to go out and scope the area so we know for sure. Until then, I think the blue dot on SC.info is the right call.

Great Falls, MT

Along Primary Interstates: I-15
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-87, US-89
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-15

To: End (Sweet Grass, MT) - 118.8 miles
Diversion: 1.4 miles

To: Fort MacLeod, AB (I-15/AB-4, AB-3) - 215.3 miles
To: Medicine Hat, AB (I-15/AB-4, AB-36, AB-3) - 252.1 miles

Next up on I-15, would be Shelby, MT.