Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Greenfield, CA (LIVE 15 Dec 2020, 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I circled the pedestal that would likely be the one to use, but I think depending on the length of the rig, one could use either of those two by maneuvering properly. It's also nice to be at the end of a row when you've got your rig.
No, you circled the wheel stop at the head of that parking stall. The charging pedestal is at the other end of that stall, in between the stall and your box. It's the little stoplight-looking thing right next to the upper left corner of your green rectangle. So, you might still be able to use that space as you thought (assuming there aren't wheel stops in the middle of it like you said), but your car's nose is going to be poking decently far out past the end of the stall and into the aisle.

No, you circled the wheel stop at the head of that parking stall. The charging pedestal is at the other end of that stall, in between the stall and your box. It's the little stoplight-looking thing right next to the upper left corner of your green rectangle. So, you might still be able to use that space as you thought (assuming there aren't wheel stops in the middle of it like you said), but your car's nose is going to be poking decently far out past the end of the stall and into the aisle.

These all look like head-in spaces then?

Bruce.

Well, apparently I need to pay more attention. My mistake, and you're right; it doesn't appear there's any good way to charge while connected short of prying up those wheel stops/parking blocks. :eek:

I think Greenfield is a good to great place for a SuperCharger. It is an excellent location in terms of filling the gap. The town also has some semi-homely if a bit urban little shops a few blocks away (although I recognize the SC is in a strip mall). As usual, be aware of your surroundings.

Could go either way. According to an email response @goldengate recently got from the Soledad planning office, see this post in the Hwy 101 supercharger speculation thread, Tesla does or did have plans to put a supercharger somewhere in Soledad itself. In light of the new info about Greenfield, it's possible to read that response it in either direction. We won't know whether Tesla has now dropped it or if they'll keep moving forward on that one until they actually do. FWIW, I would assume that if they'd got as far as submitting plans for approval, then they'll keep going with them. Though, action on Greenfield might mean a Soledad supercharger gets lower priority and won't be built as soon. But, given that they continue to sell so many cars in CA, it's hard to imagine that Tesla will ever feel like this highway has sufficient supercharger density on it and that they don't have to build any more of them.
At first I was thinking an SC at Soledad would be superfluous to the new SC at Greenfield, but having taken 101 many times, I can attest travelers will want to randomly get off at the town that they randomly decide is the best exit ramp to take at that moment, due to various timing needs with the people on board. While Tesla drivers "could" prefer to follow navigation straight to the SuperChargers, at some point, there can be a benefit to being able to sort of wing it a little rather than always having navigation on. That combined with the benefits of redundancy make an additional SC nearby a plausible idea.

Last edited:
Exactly! No idea where Greenfield was. I saw the thread title and I happen to notice it was in CA. I wondered, would it be in this corridor and excited to see that it is!

I agree. I can drive around California without a map (on screen or paper) pretty much without getting lost and I had no idea where Greenfield was either. King City, yes -- that's the 'big town' in the area.

As twice a month Santa Barbara travelers, we're really pleased to see Greenfield go in. Ever since spring '13 we've been making stops at the V1 in Atascadero. Salinas was a welcome addition in Oct. '18. and after that Xmas '19 I-5 shutdown (snow) fiasco with a huge 50+ car queue in SLO this will surely help during the Holidays. (Pismo's addition also will help spread the load around a bit. Since we've added Scotts Valley, Watsonville (urban's) this year is shaping up to be a real "gap filer".

Greenfield is tiny, but will benefit from this for sure. GIven that King City is just about half way between Salinas and Paso Robles, this addition is welcome. Headwinds can get to be serious - I've used "teslawinds.com" but am not sure it still works on newer versions of the OS. Loading it is painfully slow on our old S.

Anyone else had luck with it?

I am thinking with the addition of this supercharger I will be able to stop once here from San Rafael to Santa Barbara and skip all the others. I would love to be able to skip Atascadero and SLO though I do like that burger at the Madonna Inn!
Right now I stop a few mins in Salinas on way down, then have to stop again at SLO. Technically I can make Atascadero if I keep it under 65 and don't mind arriving almost empty, but never doing that again... was too stressful to be in line with 10 miles of range left. My husband wanted to charge his phone and I was like "don't even THINK of it" haha.

Truly great to see the huge gap being filled one by one.

PS We stay at the Four Seasons but I would love to have a supercharger nearby in Santa Barbara... I refuse to pay the $35 a day valet fee to use the Four Seasons chargers (valet only) and always end up sneaking to the valet destination chargers in the dead of night. :)

Wow !!! I would ask them what they pay for electricity and how much profit they are getting from this. Room charges are steep enough and piled on with various fees (resort, city resort tax, etc). $35 ??? We pay maybe $5 to charge at home with the same charger and I know their electricity is less than ours.

Wow !!! I would ask them what they pay for electricity and how much profit they are getting from this. Room charges are steep enough and piled on with various fees (resort, city resort tax, etc). $35 ??? We pay maybe $5 to charge at home with the same charger and I know their electricity is less than ours.
I don't think they were saying that there's any "additional" fee to use the charger. Just that the charger is in the valet section, so to properly get access you've got to valet the car. And the hotel's valet service comes with a $35 fee for all cars, no matter whether they want to use the charger or not. It's like a supercharger that's in a pay garage for a car with free supercharging. Any car that stays in the garage pays the fee even if the charging doesn't cost them anything.

At Greenfield location now. Of course no sign of any activity (not even marks on pavement). Didn’t expect anything.
But definitely easy on/off 101, and with the build out plans thru this corridor, makes it convenient to stop here - but if busy, next location will be relatively close.

• Informative
Reactions: goldengate
At Greenfield location now. Of course no sign of any activity (not even marks on pavement). Didn’t expect anything.
But definitely easy on/off 101, and with the build out plans thru this corridor, makes it convenient to stop here - but if busy, next location will be relatively close.

Thanks fr scouting it out.

I suspect the high heat has a bit to do with slow progress, will check tomorrow fr signs of activity...

Hope they get to it soon...Labor Day is coming, and the SLO spot has been running pretty steady 1/3 unavailable (except the V3, that has been 2/3 to 3/3 dead...)

Hmmmm.... Labor Day? Perhaps put the hopes on Paso Robles.

At last check (2 weeks ago), Greenfield hadn't been touched. If done by next week - would be a Tesla record.

Reactions: goldengate
Hope they get to it soon...Labor Day is coming, and the SLO spot has been running pretty steady 1/3 unavailable (except the V3, that has been 2/3 to 3/3 dead...)
Hmmmm.... Labor Day? Perhaps put the hopes on Paso Robles.

At last check (2 weeks ago), Greenfield hadn't been touched. If done by next week - would be a Tesla record.

Well, in the spirit of Elon Himself...I implied this Labor Day, and remain hopeful for the next ...;)

• Funny
Reactions: smartypnz