Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Greenfield, CA (LIVE 15 Dec 2020, 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mociaf9

Oct 18, 2018
CA
https://ci.greenfield.ca.us/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Agenda/_07072020-405
Tesla, the applicant of the proposed supercharging station at 560 Walnut Avenue (APN: 024-021-027), have submitted an application for the installation of three supercharging cabinets, twelve charging posts, a switchgear, two light posts, and a utility transformer.

What: Tesla is planning to install a 12-stall V3 supercharger right off the 101 at a shopping center in Greenfield, CA.
Address: 560 Walnut Ave, Greenfield, CA 93927

GPS: 36.329250, -121.245444

@Chuq @MarcoRP

Photos of the plans (available on the link above) show that they will be using diagonal pull-in stalls both ways.
70F42016-FEA7-4064-AE3C-E95676711306.jpeg
EAB39396-9F56-4267-B1A1-274F812AC671.jpeg
5DFEA01F-8208-44D0-8460-AEB3CA933E52.jpeg

This is great news and hats off to mociaf9 for finding this... wow. Great work!
Looks like the planning meeting video from last night will be posted to this site so we will be able to find out if the proposal was approved:
Council & Planning Meetings on Livestream

You can use Google street view to "drive" around this shopping center, and from the looks of things, they really need the business revenue that a supercharger will bring. I hope it helps revitalize this center.

Reactions: gene
mociaf9's minor superpower strikes again.

Greenfield, CA

Along Primary Interstates: None
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-101
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

US-101

To: Salinas, CA - 36.8 miles
Diversion: 0.6 miles
To: Gilroy, CA - 63.5 miles

How does this thread not have a ton of excited comments? This will split a 101 mile gap between Paso Robles, CA and Salinas, CA. The lack of a Supercharger in that stretch was part of the reason for holiday lines on US-101.

It'll be v3 along with Paso Robles, CA, and they'll mean that the biggest gap on US-101 south of Laytonville, CA is 64.8 miles.

I am super excited about this and also am happy that it may help revitalize a struggling town along the corridor where few stop on their way between north and south. I wonder if there are any studies quantifying the benefit of a supercharger to a shopping center / town? I bet there are. I think this means that from San Rafael I can stop just once on the way to Santa Barbara... right now I do a quick top up in Salinas in both directions, also stopping at SLO / Atascadero. This will definitely work north to south with a full battery, not sure about south to north.

I am also excited to one day try a (working) v3 since I haven't gotten to use one yet.

I am guessing one of the reasons this thread isn't full of excitement is because few people know where Greenfield is and don't necessarily associate it with this (soon to be previously) underserved corridor when they see it in the thread titles.

Reactions: ohmman
This is excellent news, as there is a large gap in the 101 between Atascadero and Salinas. I assume this will be instead of the Coming Soon proposed charger at Soledad. Better spacing between chargers at Greenfield.

Reactions: Ulmo
I assume this will be instead of the Coming Soon proposed charger at Soledad.
Could go either way. According to an email response @goldengate recently got from the Soledad planning office, see this post in the Hwy 101 supercharger speculation thread, Tesla does or did have plans to put a supercharger somewhere in Soledad itself. In light of the new info about Greenfield, it's possible to read that response it in either direction. We won't know whether Tesla has now dropped it or if they'll keep moving forward on that one until they actually do. FWIW, I would assume that if they'd got as far as submitting plans for approval, then they'll keep going with them. Though, action on Greenfield might mean a Soledad supercharger gets lower priority and won't be built as soon. But, given that they continue to sell so many cars in CA, it's hard to imagine that Tesla will ever feel like this highway has sufficient supercharger density on it and that they don't have to build any more of them.

@mociaf9 I agree w/your comment above. I have reached out to Soledad again with this latest info on the Greenfield supercharger... since it's Soledad business development working on this, I'm thinking they are really wanting a supercharger and perhaps this Greenfield supercharger will prompt them to be a little more aggressive with Tesla in resubmitting the plans for Soledad.

I am guessing one of the reasons this thread isn't full of excitement is because few people know where Greenfield is and don't necessarily associate it with this (soon to be previously) underserved corridor when they see it in the thread titles.

You mean not everybody looks up Supercharger locations they don't know in the hope that it's impactful?

Tesla's Supercharger network has been my North American geography teacher for the past 7 years.

Photos of the plans (available on the link above) show that they will be using diagonal pull-in stalls both ways.
I find it interesting that they plan to put the utility transformer in the middle of the parking lot right next to the distribution and supercharger cabinets. This is very efficient, but not very common. There is a power pole in the corner of the lot and there appears to be a transformer or HV junction box between the pole and the Burger King.

Greenfield Supercharger Infrastructure.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: goldengate

Exactly! No idea where Greenfield was. I saw the thread title and I happen to notice it was in CA. I wondered, would it be in this corridor and excited to see that it is!

You mean not everybody looks up Supercharger locations they don't know in the hope that it's impactful?

Tesla's Supercharger network has been my North American geography teacher for the past 7 years.

Not only North America, but the ROW as well!

Tesla has been adding a lot of new sites along 101 lately. Good news, as on my trip along it back in January, both Atascadero and SLO were pretty much at capacity. A few weeks earlier, that section of 101 got seriously overloaded when the Grapevine on I-5 was shutdown due to snow.

Last edited:
Reactions: goldengate
Not only North America, but the ROW as well!

Tesla has been adding a lot of new sites along 101 lately. Good news, as on my trip along it back in January, both Atascadero and SLO were pretty much at capacity. A few weeks earlier, that section of 101 got seriously overloaded when the Grapevine on I-5 was shutdown due to snow.

Take it from me, don't even go there on the SLO thread.. I did and it was like kicking an ant hill.... some of us Tesla lovers can't take a single criticism of "our" beloved company.

Yes it's great to see 101 getting some love! This is also happening in Marin County... we were really lagging the rest of the bay area, and now superchargers are popping up like mushrooms. It's great to see and this is a huge competitive advantage that other car makers will struggle to replicate.

• Funny
Reactions: wws
This new location is going to be very helpful. When towing the Salinas/Atascadero gap can be challenging if there is a headwind, and there often is (There are multiple wind turbines in the area).

When I first glanced at the site layout map I though maybe some of the stalls would be pull through, which is nice when towing and few are in use, but on closer study it appears not.

This new location is going to be very helpful. When towing the Salinas/Atascadero gap can be challenging if there is a headwind, and there often is (There are multiple wind turbines in the area).

When I first glanced at the site layout map I though maybe some of the stalls would be pull through, which is nice when towing and few are in use, but on closer study it appears not.
I also looked at the possibility of pull-through for towing. However, I concluded that the pedestal locations are not conducive for that.

....How does this thread not have a ton of excited comments? This will split a 101 mile gap between Paso Robles, CA and Salinas, CA. The lack of a Supercharger in that stretch was part of the reason for holiday lines on US-101.

It'll be v3 along with Paso Robles, CA, and they'll mean that the biggest gap on US-101 south of Laytonville, CA is 64.8 miles.

Haven’t been perusing the Supercharger threads like I use to what with covid and pretty much SIP right now still. But hey I’m excited as I do love driving down the State via 101. And having done the trip enough I not only know where Greenfield is but can picture that location. As one can imagine by the name it’s very agricultural with many acres of planting fields. The wind turbines in the fields always catch my eye.

Come to think of it we stopped in the Rite Aid on one trip for some bottled water and snacks. Good stopping point when heading north on a Sunday afternoon from being further down south. Salinas is still a good bit away and around this point I’ve felt like getting out to stretch or whatever. Traffic on Sunday afternoon near Salinas and northward gets heavy and sometimes you wish you had taken a break before there as you eventually crawl in bumper to bumper traffic near Monterey heading into the South County SF Bay area. So this Is great news.

Now I’d love to see a SC location down near Ardo/Bradley too as that stretch is pretty long between SCs but kind of lonely area. The Olive Oil ranch in Ardo along 101 has a few HPWCs we used once when driving down and the owner said he approached Tesla about putting in SCs at his ranch. He had the electrical connections already in place as they use big presses but apart from his ranch and shoppe no other services which Tesla looks for when siting one.

I also looked at the possibility of pull-through for towing. However, I concluded that the pedestal locations are not conducive for that.
There is one good location for charging without unhitching, highlighted here in green with the arrow showing the direction of the rig. This only works if there aren't parking blocks, however, and I think they'll have parking blocks to protect the pedestals so they may include them on these stalls as well. I circled the pedestal that would likely be the one to use, but I think depending on the length of the rig, one could use either of those two by maneuvering properly. It's also nice to be at the end of a row when you've got your rig.

5DFEA01F-8208-44D0-8460-AEB3CA933E52.jpeg