Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Greenville, AL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CHAdeMO at Nissan dealers in Hoover and Decatur work just fine at nearly 50 kW with the Tesla adapter.

Sad there is no progress on Supercharger in Birmingham.

Is my understanding Huntsville/Decatur was to get one at a mall to be built at intersection of I-65 and I-565 which is at least a year behind start of construction. Sad because that would be a good link in the chain from Chattanooga (albeit 150 miles) to Memphis while at the same time linking Birmingham to Nashville.

Thanks N4HHE, this is good to know.

Has anyone done a run to this Supercharger from North Fulton (metro ATL) in a RWD LR Model 3? I will be trying to go from home to here on my way to Navarre Beach, FL (outside Pensacola) in late October, which is saying is a 237-mile stretch and arrive at ~5-6%. Looking at this being the only stop on the trip. I'd rather not stop in Auburn unless I have to, but will if it isn't looking good to make it to this SC.

Has anyone done a run to this Supercharger from North Fulton (metro ATL) in a RWD LR Model 3? I will be trying to go from home to here on my way to Navarre Beach, FL (outside Pensacola) in late October, which is saying is a 237-mile stretch and arrive at ~5-6%. Looking at this being the only stop on the trip. I'd rather not stop in Auburn unless I have to, but will if it isn't looking good to make it to this SC.

If you want to go non-stop from North Fulton to Greenville I’d suggest keeping your speed in check, perhaps cruise set to 65. If it were me I’d charge to 90% and drive as fast as the law would allow to Auburn. Charge there for 10-15 minutes then drive another 90 miles to Greenville. Charge there as much as you need to make it to Navarre with enough charge to make you comfortable. To each his own.

When I went to Mobile I stopped at Auburn. On the way back, however, I had a long stop in Greenville (Kim loves Crackerbarrel including browsing the store) and the car said to just go home (Alpharetta). I had just about 100% to start. I got home with about 14%. That was in a single motor long range with 18” Aero rims with the Aero covers on. My dual motor on 19” rims wouldn’t have made it. The key was that Kim was driving and never did over 70. I drive faster than she does and when I did drive some the range prediction would drop. At 60 you won’t make it. Charge so that the car hits 100% just before leaving and watch the estimate closely. A stop in Auburn removes anxiety.

Reactions: Thunder7ga
Honestly, I think this is all dependent on how cold it is the day you make the trip. If it's 70, you're probably fine. If it's 55, I'd definitely stop in Auburn. I have the same vehicle and go from Huntsville to Montgomery (around 200 miles) with 20+% left starting from 100% for what that's worth.

Also, for future trips, there's a Target on the east side of Montgomery that was identified as a possible supercharger site, so hopefully that'll be available next year. It would be convenient for your trip.

Reactions: Thunder7ga
Honestly, I think this is all dependent on how cold it is the day you make the trip. If it's 70, you're probably fine. If it's 55, I'd definitely stop in Auburn. I have the same vehicle and go from Huntsville to Montgomery (around 200 miles) with 20+% left starting from 100% for what that's worth.

Also, for future trips, there's a Target on the east side of Montgomery that was identified as a possible supercharger site, so hopefully that'll be available next year. It would be convenient for your trip.

Good points.....

After this hurricane, hopefully, the place we are going is still in OK shape to be able to go now. It's directly on the gulf.

With the unknown status of local destination chargers after the hurricane, I would suggest charging at the Auburn SC, and go to De Funiak, Springs, Fl. SC and top up. That would give you plenty of range during your stay, and peace of mind while there.

I have driven that route several times years ago in my S 60, so your range should be no problem. This will involve non interstate roads so allow for slower speed. A lot will be divided 4 lane highways, with small towns, etc.

Handlebar's 14 S (now 19 S Raven LR)

This is one of the routes I was most curious about. I live in Cherokee County and visit NB often. Getting down there, I don't have much stress about; stopping in Auburn is fine (I graduated from there, so I'm always down for an excuse to stop in) and Greenville is pretty much the last exit with any real services anyway. It's coming home that gives me the range anxiety. I really need the Pensacola SC to come online, but with the bridge being out for the foreseeable future, that's kind of a moot point anyway. I know there's a J plug charger at Juana's, so I suppose that's the best option for now.

This is one of the routes I was most curious about. I live in Cherokee County and visit NB often. Getting down there, I don't have much stress about; stopping in Auburn is fine (I graduated from there, so I'm always down for an excuse to stop in) and Greenville is pretty much the last exit with any real services anyway. It's coming home that gives me the range anxiety. I really need the Pensacola SC to come online, but with the bridge being out for the foreseeable future, that's kind of a moot point anyway. I know there's a J plug charger at Juana's, so I suppose that's the best option for now.

Agree...need that SC in Pensacola..... I did end up just stopping in Auburn for a little bit.

Reactions: BoddagettaRN
Performance M3 with the 18" aero wheels. I drive from Peachtree Corners to Foley, AL about twice per year. This past Christmas I tried skipping Auburn for the first time. Leaving metro ATL at 100%, I pulled in to Greenville with about 7% left.

Since the Auburn SC is not especially close to the highway, I probably saved 25-30 mins by skipping the charge, but you really have to monitor your usage. The weather on the return trip was cold, and I knew I was not going to make Greenville->ATL on a single charge.

A V3 supercharger site in Montgomery would be a welcome addition to this route.

It's being reported on Alabama Facebook groups that this Supercharger is down the 3 stalls, which several cars waiting to charge. Has been this way for over a week now. Nearly no other charging options on this route between Birmingham and the Gulf Coast.

• Informative
Reactions: dc121gw
I have seen inoperative stalls in the past, but never 3 at once. That's pretty bad, this location gets full on holiday weekends with 6 stalls working.

The Montgomery SC has been permitted and should be a good alternative, although its location is a diversion for I-65 traffic from the north. It is much more convenient for I-85 traffic coming from Atlanta.

I have seen inoperative stalls in the past, but never 3 at once. That's pretty bad, this location gets full on holiday weekends with 6 stalls working.

The Montgomery SC has been permitted and should be a good alternative, although its location is a diversion for I-65 traffic from the north. It is much more convenient for I-85 traffic coming from Atlanta.
Yes, I don't think the new Montgomery location is a realistic option for I-65 traffic. Maybe better than waiting in line for 2 hours, but it's still easily 30-45 minutes out of the way.

Seems like the I-65 route is getting hit hard by out of state traffic. I see it in Birmingham too. Tesla needs to add some stalls in Greenville or prioritize another site along I-65.

Since Tesla has filled in the Florida panhandle, Alabama is likely seeing much more drive-thru traffic headed to the Gulf Coast. The panhandle has been difficult to visit, but it's gotten a lot better in the last few months with superchargers in Marianna, PCB, and Crestview.

Both Greenville and Birmingham probably need more chargers, and a south Birmingham (i.e. Hoover's Riverchase Galleria) one would be ideal.

It seems unlikely Birmingham metro will get a second SC, but it's always possible. The downtown location is not great for me since I am almost always taking the 459 bypass. I try to use Oxford and bypass Birmingham. Hoover would be convenient. But, it seems Tesla would prioritize unserved locations like Tuscaloosa first.

Bay Minette might be a good choice for an alternate site for I-65 traffic. It's on the most direct route to Gulf Shores/Orange Beach from the north.

It seems unlikely Birmingham metro will get a second SC, but it's always possible. The downtown location is not great for me since I am almost always taking the 459 bypass. I try to use Oxford and bypass Birmingham. Hoover would be convenient. But, it seems Tesla would prioritize unserved locations like Tuscaloosa first.

Bay Minette might be a good choice for an alternate site for I-65 traffic. It's on the most direct route to Gulf Shores/Orange Beach from the north.
I keep hoping since there are more and more Teslas on the road (at least it seems that way.) My son counts the number of Teslas he sees on the road now (sort of the new punch-buggy from my childhood).

Since Tesla has filled in the Florida panhandle, Alabama is likely seeing much more drive-thru traffic headed to the Gulf Coast. The panhandle has been difficult to visit, but it's gotten a lot better in the last few months with superchargers in Marianna, PCB, and Crestview.

Both Greenville and Birmingham probably need more chargers, and a south Birmingham (i.e. Hoover's Riverchase Galleria) one would be ideal.
Agreed on Birmingham. Electrify America put their charger in Alabaster, which works well for traffic coming down 65, but also for traffic from 20/59 coming around on 459. I'm sure it's just a matter of money, but it would be nice to have chargers on either side of town and on each major route. Putting it right in the middle doesn't work in a lot of cases, or it's not the most convenient.

• Informative
Reactions: 1speed