Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Greenville, SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not to be skeptical but maybe its not moving forward because BMW's factory is in the area and they are somehow blocking the construction. This supercharger really opens up the Charlotte to Atlanta route and it would only serve BMW to see TESLA customers not get what they want.

Not to be skeptical but maybe its not moving forward because BMW's factory is in the area and they are somehow blocking the construction. This supercharger really opens up the Charlotte to Atlanta route and it would only serve BMW to see TESLA customers not get what they want.

I am surprised that regardless of the source of difficulty, that Tesla has not countered with an accelerated schedule of adding an SC at Commerce, Georgia.

Drove by the former site yesterday (en route from Suwanee GA to Charlotte). Absolutely nothing going on, but bases for each supercharger still up. The Point in Greenville would be a great site for a supercharger. Hopefully this gets resolved soon; I had to stop in Commerce for a little buffer (21 miles/hour at a J1772 is too slow for such a major route).

muleferg:

I have not ordered the CHAdeMO adaptor because I heard the wait was ridiculous. I can make it to Charlotte, Burlington, and Glen Allen with miles to spare so figure I should be ok. And stopping at Commerce (Tanger Outlet) for an hour was fine. I arrived at Suwanee with 55 miles; on the return I made it to Charlotte with 28 miles remaining (I didn't get to full at Commerce). And I was travelling 5-7 MPH over speed limit with traffic.

My wife's mother and sister live in Roanoke, and as you know CHAdeMO downtown, and going north I prefer to go 81. Charlottesville also. More and more show up every day.
I pulled for your team. but it did not help. I lived in Richmond 8 years. With Lowe's.

I noticed you have the red. I saw this one in Raleigh store. Man I loved it. The other grey car was the new gray. I don't think I would go with that grey again. I will be getting my wife the Model X. She get's to pick color.

The grey car behind went to Va.

I was seriously considering the MC white then saw a MC red in Atlanta and was hooked. If you are in Roanoke and need a charge you can use my HPWC. I live away from town so not much to do except hike up my street! I am hoping that the 2015 supercharger map is somewhat accurate--they show 5 SCs along I-81 by the end of the year. If they can just get 2 or 3 finished it will be a tremendous help. My car had no trouble getting to Charlotte (175 miles there with 80 range miles left). Driving to Glen Allen would be worse.

If anyone from Tesla is following this thread, I hope they realize the SCs along northern I-81 are needed more so than the southern part of the state. Almost impossible to get to DC/Maryland from Roanoke, but easy to get to Charlotte or Burlington and points further south.

Nothing new to report, sorry... just went back and looked at when this thread started, 4/10/14, and realized that was before I even got my Model S, and I currently have over 18k miles on it.

After Mobile completes construction (which is well under way), this will be the only true gap between the northeast and Texas using the major I95-I85-I65-I10 route, that would require use of alternate charging. The 200 mile gap from Mobile to Baton Rouge is also large, but not too large to traverse using only superchargers. Seems like at this point it should become a priority just because the rest of the long corridor is done (almost).

Two weeks until the anniversary of this thread. There will be cake.

Yes it's really disappointing. I'm planning a spring break trip from Atlanta to D.C. and this is the only major gap.
Should be doable from ATL -> Charlotte if I keep my speed low enough but sure wish I had the safety blanket of a Greenville Supercharger.
I contacted Tesla about it recently and I just got what appears to be a canned response:

"Thank you for your email. We are actively working to bring a Supercharger to the Greenville area but we are unable to estimate an opening date at this time. There are a number of scenarios that can affect the timeline for a new site but we are working hard to open as many sites as quickly as we can. We understand the need for more Superchargers and we are excited to announce new sites on our website and in your Model S.

We appreciate your patience, enthusiasm and support in Tesla and our Supercharger technology."

Yes I have an 85. I'm planning to do a range charge. Since rated miles is 265 I should be able to make it. I'll start out at 65mph and I can always slow down later if I need to. Should be able to make it at 65 if the weather is nice... As a backup I could stop somewhere near Greenville and charge on an L3 for an hour or so during a meal.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a good idea about inflating tires. Maybe 5 psi above the normal - sacrifice a tiny bit of grip for the improved range.

Another option for you is an outlet center in Commerce, GA. I made the trip from Atlanta to Charlotte earlier this month and shopped for an hour while adding 20 miles to my range with a free J1772 charger they have there (total of four chargers--no others in use when I was there both ways). Extra buffer made me a little more comfortable--I drove 65-70MPH most of the way. There is also a hotel in Anderson, SC with a HPWC but I don't know if they have a restaurant. Have a safe trip.

Thanks for the tip. I think I am going to try and drive straight through (it's 235 miles from my start position to the Charlotte Supercharger) I'll simply slow down a lot if it looks like it's getting iffy... Should be OK.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip. I think I am going to try and drive straight through (it's 235 miles from my start position to the Charlotte Supercharger) I'll simply slow down a lot if it looks like it's getting iffy... Should be OK.

I imagine you are headed up 85, if so, stop for lunch in Anderson SC. The Bleckley Inn recently added a Tesla Wall charger. They appear on Tesla's SC map and on plugshare. It is wonderful hotel, and a short walk to numerous restaurants and shops.

- - - Updated - - -

There is also a hotel in Anderson, SC with a HPWC but I don't know if they have a restaurant. Have a safe trip.
The hotel you speak of is the Bleckley Inn. It is fabulous! They don't have a restaurant, but they are in walking distance to numerous restaurants on the main drag. We stayed there last year (had to travel with our ICE vehicle) and spoke with the owner at length about Tesla and EV charging. He was very interested and I'm so glad he added charging for us and all the other EV drivers. We'll beck there this year, this time with our S!