Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Greenville, SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I figured I would report back with my experience from last night. The location was easy to get to and find. The hotel was nice and the food was good. I expected it to be a little overpriced because it is in a hotel, but the portions are huge so it isn't bad. The first SC experience for my wife was very pleasant. Right off the interstate, plenty of open charging spots, walk right in, get some dinner, nice clean restrooms, and the car is ready to go before dinner is done. Now if I can get AP to stop acting weird every once in awhile I think I could sell her on taking longer trips with the Tesla. Might have just been my imagination, but it seemed like AP performed worse driving through South Carolina than it does around Charlotte. For long chunks I just started using the TACC because it was annoying to keep correcting the auto-steering. Maybe because of less Tesla miles on those roads?

Thanks for all the recommendations of staying at the hotel. I am definitely glad we didn't attempt to walk anywhere else during charging. Going anywhere besides the hotel seems like way more hassle than it is worth and definitely would have soured my wife on the experience.
You can thank the lack of road maintenance for the AP problems. The stripes are almost invisible in some places on I-85 and that really messes with AP.

I figured I would report back with my experience from last night. The location was easy to get to and find. The hotel was nice and the food was good. I expected it to be a little overpriced because it is in a hotel, but the portions are huge so it isn't bad. The first SC experience for my wife was very pleasant. Right off the interstate, plenty of open charging spots, walk right in, get some dinner, nice clean restrooms, and the car is ready to go before dinner is done. Now if I can get AP to stop acting weird every once in awhile I think I could sell her on taking longer trips with the Tesla. Might have just been my imagination, but it seemed like AP performed worse driving through South Carolina than it does around Charlotte. For long chunks I just started using the TACC because it was annoying to keep correcting the auto-steering. Maybe because of less Tesla miles on those roads?

Thanks for all the recommendations of staying at the hotel. I am definitely glad we didn't attempt to walk anywhere else during charging. Going anywhere besides the hotel seems like way more hassle than it is worth and definitely would have soured my wife on the experience.

I can corroborate the terrible performance of AP in South Carolina. I think it's a combination of the above mentioned poor lane markings and the slow gentle up and down of the hills on 85.

I did the same as you and dropped back to TACC-only for South Carolina. Lucky for us, 85 only slices through a small amount of South Carolina (of course you pay for it by taking the 4hr cross state path through North Carolina :rolleyes: ).

It appears that a Supercharger will be located at The Point within Greenville, SC. It appears that the property manager and Tesla are within the permitting process at this point in time and hopefully will change shortly.

The Point - Greenville, SC - Google Maps

Do we have any community members within the area that can scout out the location once construction has begun?

I would volunteer, but if I went searching for it, I probably wouldn't find it because my wife says I always miss the Point. :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: mikes_fsd
Ironic how the building across the street from the Hilton Garden has been demolished. Wasn't it the owner of that building who held up construction at the original site because he didn't want us loitering around the side of his building?
Yes sir, it was. It was not a loitering issue though, they did not want to give the right of way for the power.
Well there is plenty of access now! It was a little sad to see all the demolition when I was there a few weeks ago. I hope it gets cleaned up and something else goes up soon.

Well there is plenty of access now! It was a little sad to see all the demolition when I was there a few weeks ago. I hope it gets cleaned up and something else goes up soon.
It's been going on for months and months now. That building used to be a textile plant and was partially remodeled in 2000 into business offices. They never got a single tenant to lease the spaces so in 2008 they were going to bulldoze it and build a big neighborhood / shopping center. That never happened and then they found a bunch of chemical waste dumps that had to be cleaned up. From what I know now they are just clearing the property so it can be sold. It's really too bad the supercharger could not have gone in it's original spot. It was right on the end of that shopping center, across the street from the Cracker Barrel. Nobody ever parks where it was going and it's unlikely that it would ever get iced.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclone