Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Greenwich CT - Merritt Parkway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You would have been outraged if you tried it this morning. Driving from NH to VA today and I noticed the Superchargers were mostly blocked by at least 3 or 4 commercial vans parked in front of them.

Went to the NB SC today for a range charge. Got a speeding ticket for 45 in a 30 zone on the way there. :(

Charged from 40 miles to 263 miles in 90 minutes, a bit longer than I expected.

Also while I was there I spotted two more EV charging units waiting to be installed-- appeared to be chamedo chargers.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397320054.123739.jpg

Prepare to be ICEd.

I had to stop here again today to recharge after a long trip to/from north/central NJ. Even without superchargers, this is a very busy rest stop, and to add insult to injury, the parking lot and the flow of people in the building are horrible. Absolutely no thought was put into how cars move into/out of a parking lot, or how people move into/out and through of a building.

Today it was *very* crowded, and when I arrived, 2 of the 4 spots were ICEd, since there were no other normal parking spots open. While I was there, those two cars left, but two others moved in. Another MS showed up and took the last remaining open SC spot (lucky for him there was one spot left open!). Another 5 minutes, and it too would have likely been ICEd. I don't think there's anything TESLA can do about this -- there's just too much traffic and parking demand at this location that ICEing is likely to be a persistent problem.

Also, the building itself it a horrible design. There is just ONE normal sized door on the side of the building, and when it's busy, this is a massive chokepoint, blocking people from getting in or out easily. It should be at least a double-door to allow a flow in and flow out of people. Once inside, though, it's worst, since there is only one narrow channel of space to get through the store shelves.. then there is a line of people waiting to pay for their stuff you have to get through, then there's another like of people waiting at Dunkin Donuts you have to push through (you can't go around).. then ANOTHER line at Subway... THEN, at the FURTHEST POSSIBLE POINT from the side door, are the restrooms, where most people are trying to get to. Then you have to fight all the same lines/crowds getting back OUT Of the building. I just don't know how anyone could design a building so poorly, and these are the brand new designed building for the Merritt Parkway rest stops. I think if they had just but the bathrooms near the doors, it would alleviate 90% of the traffic problems inside.

Anyway, just be aware that this is a very busy and crowded place, and there's a good chance you might have to wait for a SC to get de-ICEd.

Actually that is my preferred entrance as it is closest to the bathrooms and DD. By using this door there is no need to walk through the narrow market aisles.

You should also realize that these buildings are historic and were only renovated and not created from scratch. I am sure the DOT had design constraints they needed to work through.

This was NB. There is a "Front Door" to the place, but it's actually now "around the side" from the main parking lot area. I've never seen anyone use this door, since it doesn't actually go anywhere other than the access ramp into the rest area.

Actually that is my preferred entrance as it is closest to the bathrooms and DD. By using this door there is no need to walk through the narrow market aisles.

You should also realize that these buildings are historic and were only renovated and not created from scratch. I am sure the DOT had design constraints they needed to work through.

Well, I didn't know about the buildings being historic, so I understand that constraint. And now I'll use that side door, but the rest of the layout is really a cluster*** of design and human flow. Especially the one-door chokepoint. Idiotic.

All southbound spots were ICEd when I passed last Friday around lunchtime. Agree with what's already been said that the parking and facilities are cramped. But hey, I'm just glad we have yet another supercharging option.

On the way home charging northbound I was fortunate enough to encounter two other Tesla owners that I knew! Nice chat in the sunshine, what could be better?

I've got to wonder if putting a green cone in the front of each parking spot wouldn't help manage it somewhat? I think people would hesitate a bit more to get out of the car and move a cone to use the spot. The cones would need regular replacement but they can't cost that much...

We tried cones at the Darien, CT supercharger when it first opened.
They probably didn't last a week...

I was thinking cones tethered to each SC pedestal. It would only be up to the departing owner to replace the cone in it's place.

But at the Greenwich stops, there is actually a shortage of parking spots.. so if all the other spots are taken, the chances of getting ICEd are huge, cones or not.