Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Griffith, NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if anyone has heard any news about when the Griffith Supercharger site might be up and running?
It's still not listed on the Tesla Coming Soon map, which contains some sites as late as Q4 2023, although most are first half of 2023.

Tesla also won NSW Govt funding for the site which means it has to be completed by late 2024.

I'd think in January we'll get a map update which should provide a bit more clarity around the large number of NSW sites.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Seems there has been further negotiating going on around where this will go.

Article is behind a paywall but some highlights,

"Work is continuing to bring electric vehicle fast charging stations to Griffith, with a new location being eyed between Griffith Central and the Yambil Street Carwash."

1694584078174.png

"Both the NRMA and Tesla are proposing six fast car chargers, which Mayor Doug Curran points out would virtually take up 24 car spaces, un-ideal for the visitors centre car park."

So the NRMA is also proposing to install chargers in Griffith which is not on either there NSW funded list or the proposed Federal funded network.

'"The problem is they would use two spaces for each car and to put six in, you virtually lose 12 car spaces. With both the NRMA and Tesla wanting to install six, you lose 24 spaces," Cr Curran said.
"They also don't want to be paying any rental fees on those spaces."'

I think a 2 to 1 required space for the charging equipment is a little over the top but taking up 12-16 would also not necessarily be desirable in the visitor centre car park. Tesla had originally propose a site further west from the main CBD location.

A green field redevelop of the vacant land, presumably council owned, might still be a good outcome.
"The Yambil Street option is currently before Tesla and the NRMA, with council awaiting a response from both parties."

And at least the council still seems positive,
""We're keen for this and are actively trying to engage with Tesla and the NRMA. At this stage we are just waiting to hear back," Cr Curran said."

This was back in early May, so things may have progressed since then.

Proposed site appears to have an address of 8 Yambil Street Griffith. Not alot on it but appears to have already been ear marked for a new public car park.
1694585795683.png

1694585765511.png

Seems that since the photo above that the electrical infrastructure on the lot has been moved underground,
1694586814678.png

Possibly in anticipation of further development of the land into a car park. Either way there seems easy access to a high voltage underground line through the land.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
An article from early July seems to indicate things have stalled.

'Cr Curran said fast charging stations for Griffith are far from a reality at this point, with Tesla and the NRMA indicated they will work on the issue on their own terms.
"Council aren't pushing from our end unless they come on board. It's a moot point at the moment," he said.'

"will work on the issue on their own terms"
I guess that might mean they have each found alternate sites not on council lands.

The concerns raised were to do with perceived safety of carpark location, which the Councillor did not agree with.

I thought I'd found an update... but it turns out the section I found was from a meeting in October 2020, embedded in a document (unrelated reason) about a meeting from November 2023. Quote was:

CL07 Tesla Charging Station Proposal
Councillor Simon Croce asked if Council will make a margin on the Tesla Charging Stations. Director Sustainable Development, Phil Harding and General Manager, Brett Stonestreet clarified that Council will not make an income on the charging stations. Council will cover the installation cost of the stations and users will be charged a fee. Council will pay the electricity retailer. The benefit to Council is being a part of the Tesla Network.

I thought Tesla had really scored a great deal from the council! But then I realised it was an old statement... and given it was 2020, it was referring to the destination chargers.