Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Griffith, NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like Tesla is planning one in Griffith - 6 stalls!

Spotted by @MarcoRP -
Site is currently being negotiated with council - Tesla prefers one location but council agenda recommends support of one of the other alternatives, which is the Visitor Information Centre - probably a good sign as it means the council has actually put a bit of thought into it! Tesla superchargers may come to Griffith
Council Meeting Agenda: https://businesspapers.griffith.nsw.gov.au/Open/2022/06/CO_28062022_AGN_1575_AT.PDF (starts page 19)

1655964632479.png

The meeting is June 28th. Given what happened with Gawler it might be worth a few supportive emails to the councillors!

Note also the site proposed for Hay - Supercharger - Hay, NSW

Last edited:
Reactions: PStewart and cafz
I would agree with the council.

Even as somebody who has been to Goulburn 100s of times, the Goulburn one being at the information centre has allowed me to learn a thing or two about events or attractions I didn't know about on the odd trip into the bathrooms.

Definitely a boon for the town/region to make use of the information centre.

Reactions: moa999
The Mayoral note is positive.

Interesting that Council is suggesting what appears to be a better site for access to shops and cafes. Maybe Tesla had assumed that carpark would be too busy. Coles and WW are only a block away but each have their own dedicated carpark, and I assume most of the the high street traffic will park in front.

And at least Tesla has altered the presentation and included this note
"Universal Network -
Tesla’s Supercharger network is opening up to all EVs
. Over 50 European sites currently universal"
Though no timeframe (and it's now closer to 100 sites over 8 countries)

Also interesting is the statement that suggests Tesla will be applying for NSW Givt EV funding
"At least 6 car spaces (1 disabled space for NSW Gov funding)"

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Chuq
I would agree with the council.

Even as somebody who has been to Goulburn 100s of times, the Goulburn one being at the information centre has allowed me to learn a thing or two about events or attractions I didn't know about on the odd trip into the bathrooms.

Definitely a boon for the town/region to make use of the information centre.

Bathurst another good example

Odd location for the Sydney, Adelaide route, but happy, because itheir might be one in Neranderra too!
Actually I thought that when Hay first appeared.. but now, I think Narrandera is less likely. I took another look at the distances... consider that even the Model Y RWD will easily be able to do 300 km on the highway... I'm thinking they'll go for Wagga instead.

Sydney-Yass - 280 km
Yass-Griffith - 297 km

Sydney-Wagga - 460 km (split either 196/263 km or 281/183 km - depending on midpoint charge at either Goulburn/Yass)
Wagga-Hay - 268 km
Hay-Mildura - 294 km

The main problem with this is that none of them are on the Newell Highway. But maybe they don't need them to be. Jerilderie to West Wyalong is only 243 km.

Reactions: Zoltrix77
Griffith also opens up some cross routes. Adding in Young would help bridge the route coming from Bathurst. Some of the Young Councillors may need some education though,

"Imagine, we are relying on wind and solar power giving us most of our electricity, we all arrive home from work about the same time, in our electric car, it’s a very hot day, we turn on the air-con to cool down the house, plug in our electric car to recharge, all at the same time, inevitably causing a massive drain on our power grids. Do you think we won’t have black outs? – Will we need some sort of alternative back up system?

So my question is, how practical is the electric car for a country as big as ours?"

Though it is possible that being approached by Tesla for a Supercharger in Young is what even prompted that 'column'.

Reactions: moa999
West Wyalong, Forbes, Young; would make a good triangle to complement; Bathurst, Dubbo.

At least back in 2015 Forbes seemed to be pro Tesla.
"In the October 2015 business paper, Forbes Shire Council’s environment advisory committee suggested that council approach Tesla to make enquiries as to the feasibility of providing a refuelling station in Forbes.

In their report they said “the development of a Tesla charging station in Forbes would be advantageous in encouraging owners of electric cars to visit Forbes to stop and refuel”.
Council’s director of tourism, community and cultural development, Richard Morgan can see the benefits of getting a supercharger station in Forbes but said they would need to look into it further."

Maybe now is the time they should proactively contact Tesla.

Fed govt needs to step up and declare this stuff critical infrastructure and take it out of the hands of local councils.

They did this for the NBN (by way of legislation). Imagine how far the NBN rollout would have got if every piece of infrastructure had to go through local councils? You'd still be waiting for this site to load...

Reactions: Hungry Mile
Fed govt needs to step up and declare this stuff critical infrastructure and take it out of the hands of local councils.
The primary reason is Tesla is seeking exclusive use over council owned property, often for a 10-15yr period for peppercorn rent.

As they have done with many of the Sydney/Melbourne Superchargers they could instead put them on private land after negotiating with that landholder (eg. The Coles or Woolworths carparks in Griffiths) and probably not need any council approvals, or even purchase their own plot of land and build a small carpark.

It's a cheaper option for Tesla (with the council's recognising the value of additional visitors etc) but it adds red tape.

Telco, water, power, sewer infrastructure is pretty different as it can't go anywhere else.

Audio recording of meeting is up.

Motion passed after some discussion on making sure Tesla pay for the seven used spaces at the going rate. 58$ per day, per week was ask? That's per year. Sounds like practically a peppercorn licence with respect to the rest of the cost of the install and running cost of the site. Though they seemed to think important that Tesla pay as any other business does for the parking.

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok
From 5min.50s
Interesting discussion, and hope Tesla has no issues at those rates ($58/yr per spot)

It should be noted though that it is slightly different to any normal business, as Tesla runs its Supercharger network to zero profit, so the benefit is really one to the EV driver not to Tesla itself.

A question was raised as to whether other EVs could use the spot, but discussion drifted away.

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok
The NSW Govt funding is an interesting one though. Most charging grant funds require Chademo at the very minimum?

Not in NSW. Under our state government scheme, the requirement is that “Charging bays are expected to be equipped with FCAI recommended DC charging types, which is either CHAdeMO or CCS Type 2”.

So there is no requirement to support both. A site with CCS2 only would still be eligible to apply for grant money.