Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Grove City, OH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like the cut of your jib. Please propose a time after completion.

Side question: Are the install crews actual Tesla employees or are they regionally contracted?

Installation of a Supercharger is just another construction project with a set of plans that are approved by the local authorities and put out to bid to several contractors. Those contractors hire the various subcontractors to do the work. Because Superchargers are different than the average commercial project, and because they are very similar. There is a set of contractors that have "learned" the process and seem to be favored and/or have better bids.

Tesla has a group of Quality Control people that do visit the Supercharger Sites for final testing and approval with a Model S.

Was down in C'bus today in my new '14 S85. Didn't go as far south as Grove City but seeing these pics and with info I had it wasn't worth the trip to find a not-yet-open SpC. Anyhow, I took delivery of my car Monday, and spoke again with the Delivery folks Wednesday. They told me city inspectors were there finalizing details Wednesday, and that the site should go live "in early January" (that it was otherwise 99% done there). Which matches what has been posted above, and of course those pics show it is in the last moments of setup.

Hope it goes live soon, because driving from CLE to C'BUS was a bit of extra fun today. We took our kid to COSI, so we charged at an on-street spot on the corner of Front/Gay street while at COSI for 4 hours. Then we went to dinner at Easton (Pies & Pints is tasty!) and charged there for another 3+ hours at the West Garage / Tesla parking area. It allowed enough charge to get home, but with just a small margin of error. It would have been worth the out of our way trip to GC to charge in the future.

Has anybody been lately to the supercharger construction site?
Any progress?

Benz, it says you are located in "Netherlands" -- seems you'll have a pretty long drive to Ohio. ;)

FWIW, I'm also interested in the status of this SC. Though right now the Erie,PA and Buffalo,NY are more pressing so that I can take the family to Niagara Falls. But we do hit C'bus a few times a year, too.

Though right now the Erie,PA and Buffalo,NY are more pressing so that I can take the family to Niagara Falls.

Niagara is definitely doable from Cleveland in an 85 during winter. Even with climate control on at about 30° F, I found maintaining a speed of 55-60 and a rated-range : distance-remaining ratio around 1.2 worked well, especially if you take the shortcut cutting across on NY 75 to NY 5 into Buffalo. Several hotels offer overnight charging (there are even HPWCs on the Tesla site that aren't on PlugShare yet, and 70-A J1772s at a Travelodge though when I went a couple weeks ago those were inaccessible due to construction), and there's a 70-A J1772 at Taps On Queen (great food and a great experience for us) that is on PlugShare and is perfect for a top-off before leaving.

The return trip saw us dipping below the 1.2 ratio as we climbed up in elevation, but we reduced speed and it came back on the downgrade. We probably could have maintained speed but it's better to be safe.

But no, I haven't been around Grove City either (last visit was 1/3 and the units were still bagged), and it would've been nice to have that option rather than routing through Dayton and/or hanging around Easton.

> IT took a long time to ramp up to full speed, starting off at only 29 mph. Could this possibly be because the car had been outside in the cold all night, and was only driven about a mile before charging? [dave]

Actually it was because in addition that the car was *left uncharged at a low SOC overnight*. The screen warning points to this happening 'if the car is not charged soon'.

I get the warning on a regular basis but have never seen the outcome since I plug in immediately upon arriving home from a trip. Being limited to 29 mph max is a real red flag on that play.
--

It is officially open as I received an email from Tesla today. The funny part is I don't even have a Tesla (yet I just need some money). I am surprised that I did not receive an email from the Lima, Ohio one as that is twice as close to me than the Columbus one. I hope the Model 3 comes out sooner rather than later or I can find a used Model S for around $45,000 - $55,000 (85 kWh)

Screen Shot 2015-01-22 at 5.33.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-01-22 at 5.34.00 PM.png

visited the superchargers there last night and this morning. I detected the smell of ozone both times. Maybe someone should check this out.

I was just there on Friday and Saturday. I did not detect a similar smell. However, on Saturday someone who works with the management company stopped by to see how I was liking the superchargers (I, of course, raved about them). However, it seems they are not happy that the contractors (Tesla, to them) left the job undone as landscaping and a big pile of dirt taking up part of one parking space still needs to be addressed. I told him that as an owner I would happily send along my feedback to Tesla (they have contacted them as well). It's true though - the site is a little scraggling looking (it looks like they had to take down almost 10 trees and the stumps are still there). I hope Tesla gets this taken care of.

I was just there on Friday and Saturday. I did not detect a similar smell. However, on Saturday someone who works with the management company stopped by to see how I was liking the superchargers (I, of course, raved about them). However, it seems they are not happy that the contractors (Tesla, to them) left the job undone as landscaping and a big pile of dirt taking up part of one parking space still needs to be addressed. I told him that as an owner I would happily send along my feedback to Tesla (they have contacted them as well). It's true though - the site is a little scraggling looking (it looks like they had to take down almost 10 trees and the stumps are still there). I hope Tesla gets this taken care of.
This is the reason some townships will not approve opening of the Supercharger until a final inspection is done. I know it held up the Brandon, Florida Supercharger.