Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Groveland, CA (7 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back on topic, has anyone been to Groveland recently to check on the status of the supercharger?
What's interesting is that it doesn't appear on the "Today" map of superchargers as "coming soon".
I sent an email to Tesla's SC site today asking if either Groveland or Fish Camp would be open in time for the holidays. I'll post the reply if it's anything other than the the usual boilerplate.

I think I must have had very bad luck. All the trails were really iced over, so you couldn't really walk more than a few hundred feet in the valley without some serious slipping and sliding. Badger pass is "okay" but only for about 1/2 a day unless your a beginner. I did a bit of snowshoeing. I found the valley to be very dark too, must have been overcast.
Yes, Badger isn't very exciting for a downhill skier. OTOH, it's a great place to practice cross country downhill. And if you're a X-C skier, there's several days worth of trails to explore in the area, and if you're up for hut skiing (Glacier Point, Ostrander Hut, Snow Creek) or snow camping there's even more you can do. I agree that trying to hike in the Valley isn't much fun if it's icy, but in those conditions there's usually snow on the ground and you can X-C ski there. I find snowshoeing really tedious.

As I said, it really depends on what activities you're into. If you want to walk you're often very limited (mini crampons help), and if the weather's bad, it can be very gloomy (especially at Curry, as it gets so much less sun in the winter). Many locals refer to the Valley as "The Ditch", and I'm generally happier on the rim or higher. But the winter activities I enjoy are of the 'active outdoors' variety, and if your interests are less so it's probably not the best time of year to be there.

Last edited:
I sent an email to Tesla's SC site today asking if either Groveland or Fish Camp would be open in time for the holidays. I'll post the reply if it's anything other than the the usual boilerplate.

Yes, Badger isn't very exciting for a downhill skier. OTOH, it's a great place to practice cross country downhill. And if you're a X-C skier, there's several days worth of trails to explore in the area, and if you're up for hut skiing (Glacier Point, Ostrander Hut, Snow Creek) or snow camping there's even more you can do. I agree that trying to hike in the Valley isn't much fun if it's icy, but in those conditions there's usually snow on the ground and you can X-C ski there. I find snowshoeing really tedious.

As I said, it really depends on what activities you're into. If you want to walk you're often very limited (mini crampons help), and if the weather's bad, it can be very gloomy (especially at Curry, as it gets so much less sun in the winter). Many locals refer to the Valley as "The Ditch", and I'm generally happier on the rim or higher. But the winter activities I enjoy are of the 'active outdoors' variety, and if your interests are less so it's probably not the best time of year to be there.

I'm an active person but not an extreme sports person. I've rock climbed, backpacked, skied, snowboarded, paddle boarded, surfed etc... I'm a good skier and pretty lame at the other sports. I always found X-country skiing kind of dull for the most part as I like the speed of downhill. So that seems like X-country skiing is the only fun activity for Yosemite in the winter. I have no interest in exploring that as I already own all the other toys listed above!

I'm with you, I love being above the tree line, but those roads are shut in the winter in Yosemite!

Mostly boilerplate from Tesla: ". . .The construction at our site in Fish Camp and Groveland are near complete and are going through final inspections. We are actively working to have the sites fully operational as soon as possible with the holidays approaching, although we cannot make any guarantees about dates."

Reactions: Bet TSLA
The supercharger map on the Tesla web site now shows both Groveland and Fish Camp being open. I didn't take the 90D to Yosemite last summer due to uncertainty about getting from Manteca to/from the valley and Tuolomne, but looks like this will be a breeze now.
Yep, same day as Fish Camp. Well done, Tesla.

Find Us | Tesla

@ecarfan, you can clean up the title now.

That's great news!! Looking forward to charging there later this month.

Interest to note that the Today map on the supercharger page hasn't been updated yet:
Supercharger | Tesla

Direct link to the large resource map:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/images/supercharger/maps/today-northamerica.jpg?20161130

today-northamerica.jpg

Planning on heading to Yosemite for NYE. Anyone use the groveland charger yet or should I charge up in Manteca?
I haven't used the Groveland SC, but since it is shown in the car nav as operational I would have no concerns about planning on using it if I was headed into Yosemite on Hwy 120.

You can always call Tesla and confirm it is working just before you start your trip.

Whatever you choose, please do stop at Groveland and take some photos for the thread! I'm particularly interested in the end spots and their feasibility for charging without unhitching a trailer.

I'll be there in less than 48hrs, will definitely take some photos! (now whether I will actually be able to post them or not, that's an entirely different story..)

Reactions: McManX