Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Groveland, CA (7 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Review the Harris ranch thread should you wish to jog your memory. o_O

But, for an easy thought experiment, consider the most basic odd configuration--three stalls. You're the third person to show up. Which stall do YOU want the first person to pick?
Ok, a puzzle before bed, to keep the mind sharp. This one is easy, so I can still do it while tired :)

It took me about three tries to figure it out, before I gave up and tried a bunch of configurations. Then I came up with this:

First one picks the shared stall, gets full speed. Second one picks the dedicated stall, gets full speed. You show up, get shared stall, when the first one is near tapering, and you get near full speed, then shortly after that, full speed. Anything else, and there's a potential for someone to get less than full speed for a greater proportion of the time, which is good for no one, because if a fourth person shows up (which could be you), then they have to wait longer, and this will cascade if there are even more cars coming. This was abundantly difficult for me to figure out while tired, though, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if most people just don't try to optimize (and a few still do optimize because they have taken the time to pre-calculate most the equations so that they can quickly figure it out on the fly).

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: MP3Mike and ohmman
Review the Harris ranch thread should you wish to jog your memory. o_O

But, for an easy thought experiment, consider the most basic odd configuration--three stalls. You're the third person to show up. Which stall do YOU want the first person to pick?
Thanks for reminding me where we discussed it. You were right; I'd taken the opposing position (not yours) and was proven wrong. I agree with your logic. For those reading this and wondering, the discussion began here.

Grabbed a quick picture passing through last night.
image.jpeg

How long does it usually take a supercharger to become operational? i have a trip to Yosemite in November and would love to use this station!
Don't count on it being operational by then. As @emupilot points out, there can be lengthy delays in opening new Superchargers due to the local utility, not due to Tesla.
On the positive side, assuming you're heading for Yosemite Valley (120 east of Crane Flat will close with the first snow, usually early November), there are three charging stations you can use in the Valley. Two are at the Ahwahnee aka Majestic Yosemite Hotel, an HPWC and a 16 amp Clipper Creek J1772. There's also a 32A Clipper Creek J1772 in parking lot at Yosemite Village. All are free.

@ecarfan Of course I already have a plan that has nothing to do with this charger being in place by then. However if it is open, it would provide as good an excuse as any for a nice scenic detour on the way up to Angel's Camp area and then up to visit family in Plymouth. Happily some of the wineries and hotels have some HPWC options in that area as well. Should be a fun trip!

Reactions: newtman
I passed though today. Looks like all they need to do is pave the lot, take the shrink-wrap off the chargers, and turn on the juice. Could be any day.]
Don't get your hopes up just yet. I haven't seen the utility transformer on site yet. Seriously, it could be a week or it could be months. No way to know, and the final steps are outside of Tesla's control.

• Helpful
Reactions: XLR8OR