Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Groveland, CA (7 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for your report. What battery pack size do you have? S or X?

Sounds like a great trip!
Yes, sorry, I meant to mention that. I have a S90D. When charged to full I have about 285 RM. I charged up to 275 RM at Groveland.

Oh and on an unrelated note, I ate at the Mexican place in Groveland. Food was average, but the service was indeed quick. Both AT&T and Verizon don't work in Groveland so that was a little annoying. Obviously scarce internet in Yosemite as well.

Questions:

1. Actual mileage driven?
2. Pack size?
3. What is your full range charge in mileage?
4. Lake - was that Tioga or one of the lakes near Lee Vining?

I drove 210 actual miles and used about 225 rated miles.

I believe the lake that was still half frozen was Ellery Lake. It's between the Tioga Pass (east entrance of the national park) and Tioga Lake at about 9500 ft. There's a mountain on the south side of the lake which means it doesn't get much sun. So the huge snowpack, high elevation, lack of sun and eastern location all conspired to keep it (partially frozen) even into July. There was a lot of snow near Tioga Pass. Still enough for kids to play in if that interests anyone. People were wearing shorts and t-shirts and playing in the snow lol.

One thing about the drive over Tioga Pass is that much of the driving is in Yosemite National Park and much of the year one's speed is limited due to traffic - people in campers and other tourists driving slowly. Plus I don't think I would want to push the speed thing going down to Lee Vining. That really helps the mileage. I have made it from our home in Mariposa, through the Park, over the pass and up to Gardnerville with my S85.

Finally made it here! Left gilroy with 100% made it to groveland with about 20-30 miles to spare. 3A (unpaired) was only at 60kW, switched to 4A (no pair stall) getting regular speeds for the most part but an early taper. Both had hot handles. Charged to about 90-95% headed up and over tioga pass to mammoth. Arrived in mammoth with 35% left. Could have left groveland way sooner, forgot to account for slow Yosemite driving.

Love the Supercharger! Great seating area right at the chargers in the shade. Only problem is there's no cell service. 4/7 stalls were taken (Tuesday at noon) so this will be very popular on weekends.

Love the Supercharger! Great seating area right at the chargers in the shade. Only problem is there's no cell service. 4/7 stalls were taken (Tuesday at noon) so this will be very popular on weekends.

Cell phone service with Verizon is up to two bars in the little seating area, and zero in the car.

I left Groveland with a lot of charge, but during the trip the estimates of what was needed went up and down dramatically. I'm still not 100% sure how much I really need to charge before leaving. I tend to veer off path more than the average person too.

• Informative
Reactions: McManX
Cell phone service with Verizon is up to two bars in the little seating area, and zero in the car.

I left Groveland with a lot of charge, but during the trip the estimates of what was needed went up and down dramatically. I'm still not 100% sure how much I really need to charge before leaving. I tend to veer off path more than the average person too.

Should have specified I have AT&T. I veer off quit a bit as well. Normally stop for a hike but it was pretty smokey this time around. I think 75-80% would be enough (with buffer) to get to mammoth (MX 90D).

If it’s empty, one can charge without unhitching a trailer.
F861B2BE-C6CD-4202-A878-AFC9BF163187.jpeg

Went here in mid April and also used the restroom at the park. Drive there, don't walk. When you pull into the park turn right and you will see the restroom. The restroom didn't have a lock and might be available 24 hours. We used the picnic table behind the supercharger to eat lunch.

We left Mammoth Lakes with 90+% charge, and crossed Tioga. Stopping in Groveland seemed like a good idea when planning our return to Sacramento, so we did. In reality, it turned out we didn’t need to—plenty of range to reach home from Mammoth. But Groveland was a cute town to stretch our legs a bit. We never saw a public restroom—any tips for future reference?

We left Mammoth Lakes with 90+% charge, and crossed Tioga. Stopping in Groveland seemed like a good idea when planning our return to Sacramento, so we did. In reality, it turned out we didn’t need to—plenty of range to reach home from Mammoth. But Groveland was a cute town to stretch our legs a bit. We never saw a public restroom—any tips for future reference?
Just a couple shorts blocks walk from the SuperCharger to the Oldest Saloon in the West. Iron Door Saloon. I've had a hearty, good breakfast there. Iron Door Saloon | Iron Door Saloon
There is also the Groveland Hotel, longtime site of a Tesla Destination Charger. I have not eaten there--yet.
Groveland Provisions

• Helpful
Reactions: ohmman

There is a public restroom in the park a couple blocks to the East on the same side of the road. There is a little museum and a Yosemite info center there that you can perhaps look around if you are not dining. I only walked in there to report a stray dog, and didn't look at any of the exhibits.

The Mexican restaurant on the main street is reasonable. It is a sit down place and the service is fast.

• Helpful
Reactions: ohmman
Last week I charged here and decided to unhitch in case more cars showed up, as it was a busy travel time for the Yosemite area. But it turned out to be unnecessary; only one Tesla arrived to charge while I was there.
As @ohmman noted, the Groveland Supercharger is “semi” tow friendly. If it’s not busy you can charge without unhitching and only block one other stall. I could have backed up about one foot more than shown in this photo. No other cars were there so I didn’t worry about it. My first time at this location: love it!

View attachment 316235
Unfortunately my favorite cafe in town has closed (can’t recall the name now). Went to the Firefall Coffee Roasting Company (next door the Iron Door Saloon) for a latte instead. Would have made coffee in my trailer but it would take too long now that Supercharging is faster than it used to be; my X started charging at 146kW!