Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Groveland, CA (7 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Te blue dot is added once the site location is known. Permit is not the right label -- that is what blueshift called it, mostly because early on the address was found on permits. But several other sites have been added based on articles about public meetings that reveal the site location... Not worth nitpicking -- it reflects a coming soon site that is not under construction yet...

I like to think of the blue, "permit" dot meaning that the permit and planning process is underway with a known address. This often means an item is on a planning commission agenda or before the local city council. As others have said, because fees and taxes often have to be paid to issue a permit, the building permit issuance usually happens a few days before construction starts.

Man oh man I hope this happens reasonably soon... My mom is coming out in June to visit and I'd love to take her to Yosemite and the Sequoia forest while she's here but I don't see any way to do that in my Model S for a day trip... :(

Jeff
Jeff,

There is a free 80A HPWC at the Ahwahnee which is available to all park visitors (not just guests). It's possible if you have dual chargers that you could park there and do a light hike (Mirror Lake is an easy walk from there). Maybe eat as well. The return trip to Manteca is pretty easy since there is such an elevation loss.

There is also a 40A charger next to it. Of course, you could show up and find resource contention, which would be less than ideal. Just a thought anyway.

Roger that, yeah I only have the single charger as this would be that single time I'd ever need the second one so it's not worth the cost to get it... :)

My concern isn't getting to the valley floor, it's getting over to the Mariposa grove and back. Am I being too paranoid here? I could do a full charge at Manteca but would that be enough?

Thanks,
Jeff

Without a charge in Yosemite, I don't think you'll make it. Eyeballing evtripplanner, it looks like 288RM used in standard conditions.

One other option, which looks to add maybe 30 minutes to your total roundtrip, would be to go directly from home to the Fresno Supercharger, then up to Mariposa Grove, then back through Manteca. Of course, the ideal would be to have Groveland up, but I think you can still do it. And you should definitely take your mom to Yosemite!

Another option: There is Tesla 80A charger at Evergreen Lodge, just outside the park near Mather, CA. Nice folks and great food. But it, too, could suffer from resource contention.
Yes, there is only one HPWC at Evergreen Lodge, and it is inside a locked cabinet, next to what I believe is a 40A J1772 charger, also locked up. You need to ask to use it. Don't assume you can just drive up and have it instantly available.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: tmoz and newtman
That being said it was super easy to visit Yosemite and Mammoth from the Bay Area, using the Manteca and Mammoth Superchargers.
I suppose that's true, but Groveland would be a ton more convenient than Mammoth, no? Especially in winter.
Not to mention essential for S60s/Model 3s to get to Mammoth, as even under ideal conditions (Spd. x 1.0, 72 deg. in/out, 200 lb. load) evtripplanner shows it takes 214RM; from Groveland in the same conditions it's 131 RM. Even from Groveland, it might require a range charge in fall temps/non-ideal conditions. They still need an SC in Lee Vining.

We drove through last weekend and can confirm no work has been performed. Appears to be stalled in the permitting process.
I drove through Groveland last Wednesday and Sunday and saw nothing. But since I have no idea where the Supercharger will be located I don't know where to look. And I have read nothing to confirm that Tesla has decided to build a Supercharger there. I certainly hope so.

Edit: I just re-read this article that was linked to earlier in this thread which I had completely forgotten about ;) Tesla Hopes To Build “Supercharger” Station In Groveland | myMotherLode.com

Quote from the article: "We reported in January that the supervisors voted 4-0 to request proposals from companies that are interested in leasing a portion of a county-owned parking lot at the intersection of Main Street and Ponderosa Lane in downtown Groveland for an electric vehicle charging station. "

I know exactly where that is. If there is any construction going on it will be obvious to anyone driving through town on the Main Street which is Hwy 120.

And the article says Tesla's proposal was to build 8 stalls, which amazes me. That is really thinking long term!

Last edited:
I drove through Groveland last Wednesday and Sunday and saw nothing. But since I have no idea where the Supercharger will be located I don't know where to look. And I have read nothing to confirm that Tesla has decided to build a Supercharger there. I certainly hope so.
According to the link upthread, the SC is supposed to be located at a city-owned lot at the corner of Main St. (Hwy 120) and Ponderosa Lane. This is on the left as you enter town from the west, just before the Chamber of Commerce/ReMax Gold office, a little ways past the pharmacy and Groveland Inn and a block or three (counting alleys/parking access) before you get to the Groveland Hotel on the right. I believe the lot is actually off Ponderosa Lane, and it appears to be mostly hidden from 120 by trees and outbuildings, judging by Google street view.