Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Groveland, CA (7 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suppose that's true, but Groveland would be a ton more convenient than Mammoth, no? Especially in winter.

Not to mention essential for S60s/Model 3s to get to Mammoth, as even under ideal conditions (Spd. x 1.0, 72 deg. in/out, 200 lb. load) evtripplanner shows it takes 214RM; from Groveland in the same conditions it's 131 RM. Even from Groveland, it might require a range charge in fall temps/non-ideal conditions. They still need an SC in Lee Vining.

It'd definitely be really nice and convenient to have a supercharger in Groveland, but even with a 60 it's still possible to get to Yosemite and Mammoth today. With a 85/90 you can breeze through, and with a 60 you can pay $5 at the Groveland Hotel and use their 80A destination charger for an hour.

It'd definitely be really nice and convenient to have a supercharger in Groveland, but even with a 60 it's still possible to get to Yosemite and Mammoth today. With a 85/90 you can breeze through, and with a 60 you can pay $5 at the Groveland Hotel and use their 80A destination charger for an hour.
Possible sure, but not convenient or quick, and that's assuming you're the first one there.

I was heading up 108 on the 4th, planning to cut over to Angel's Camp via Rawhide Rd. and continue up Hwy 4 to visit my old Scout camp, but decided to detour the 35 miles to Groveland and back from Yosemite Junction to check out the location of the possible SC in Groveland mentioned in the county Board of Supervisors meeting report upthread (site map and other details here: http://tuolumneco.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=&event_id=182&meta_id=29779 ), to see if there was any construction or sign of preparations for same. Nada. It's a fairly nice location (for a parking lot), just about 100-150 feet off 120, and with a couple of tree-shaded picnic tables along one side, plus easy walking distance to food options:

Google Maps

Overhead view (the lined parking lot): Google Maps

Last edited:
Seeing as how it's past the 4th and they haven't even started yet, it does seem likely that they may not start it until after Labor Day, to avoid interfering with parking for summer crowds. Why Tesla continually misses completing sites like this before summer tourist season baffles me - at least they commissioned W. Yellowstone (and Pocatello/Idaho Falls) in time for it this year. The county report (see prev. post) says that Tesla estimated 4-6 months to opening from the time the lease was granted, and if that was in early March then we're already 4 months in.

BTW, I'm with you - it's the Ahwanee, Yosemite Lodge, Curry Village , Wawona Hotel and Badger Pass now and forever more;) Let's hope the Park Service wins this ridiculous lawsuit. In the meantime, here's DNC's website, which shows exactly where they operate, should you feel like boycotting them: Venues And be sure to let them know why you are doing so.

Last edited:
Reactions: ohmman and TaoJones
Hear, hear for the Ahwanee.

I was stunned that they got West Yellowstone working before Memorial Day - really impressive job with that - and perfectly sited, to boot. I ended up there a couple weeks later and it makes completing either the north or south loop, or even two loops in a day, incredibly painless.

Hopefully they get Groveland in sooner than later.

I was heading up 108 on the 4th, planning to cut over to Angel's Camp via Rawhide Rd. and continue up Hwy 4 to visit my old Scout camp, but decided to detour the 35 miles to Groveland and back from Yosemite Junction to check out the location of the possible SC in Groveland mentioned in the county Board of Supervisors meeting report upthread (site map and other details here: http://tuolumneco.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=&event_id=182&meta_id=29779 ), to see if there was any construction or sign of preparations for same. Nada. It's a fairly nice location (for a parking lot), just about 100-150 feet off 120, and with a couple of tree-shaded picnic tables along one side, plus easy walking distance to food options:

Google Maps

Overhead view (the lined parking lot): Google Maps

GRA, next time you go to Angel's Camp, take O'Byrne's Ferry Road off 108. That will meet SR4 in Copperopolis, and then you can head east. When I return to Fresno over Ebbetts Pass, I go this way. From Minden home for me uses <60kWh on these roads.

GRA, next time you go to Angel's Camp, take O'Byrne's Ferry Road off 108. That will meet SR4 in Copperopolis, and then you can head east. When I return to Fresno over Ebbetts Pass, I go this way. From Minden home for me uses <60kWh on these roads.
I used to just head up to Stockton and take 4 all the way to San Andreas then Murphy's Grade Rd., but found 108-120/Rawhide Rd./49 to 4 to be a bit faster. Or maybe I just find it a more interesting drive. but I've been passing O'Byrnes Ferry Road for years, so maybe this gives me an excuse to try it. At least I got to drive Jacksonville Road to Jamestown returning from Groveland this time, after just looking at the bridge over Lake Don Pedro as I passed it on my way to Yosemite for the past four decades.

In case anyone was confused, for 'San Andreas' in the preceding post read 'Altaville'. We used to take Hwy 12 from Lodi to San Andreas, then down 49 to Altaville and Murphy's Grade road, before changing routes to Hwy 4 from Stockton. We later changed again to use 120/108, once they built the freeway bypass south of Manteca and called it Hwy 120, instead of its former route along Yosemite Rd through Manteca (used to take 1/2-1 hour on a Friday night heading to the Sierra).

Best as any of us can tell the Groveland supercharger is being delayed by bureacracy in awarding the charging location to Tesla, not due to Tesla dragging their feet.

Seeing as how it's past the 4th and they haven't even started yet, it does seem likely that they may not start it until after Labor Day, to avoid interfering with parking for summer crowds. Why Tesla continually misses completing sites like this before summer tourist season baffles me - at least they commissioned W. Yellowstone (and Pocatello/Idaho Falls) in time for it this year. The county report (see prev. post) says that Tesla estimated 4-6 months to opening from the time the lease was granted, and if that was in early March then we're already 4 months in.

BTW, I'm with you - it's the Ahwanee, Yosemite Lodge, Curry Village , Wawona Hotel and Badger Pass now and forever more;) Let's hope the Park Service wins this ridiculous lawsuit. In the meantime, here's DNC's website, which shows exactly where they operate, should you feel like boycotting them: Venues And be sure to let them know why you are doing so.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones