Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger growth in San Diego County

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
San Diego SC count now up to 5 locations with 84 plugs!

After three excruciating years at 0 or 1 SC in the entire county, it's nice to finally see progress.

The new SC manager for the area last year said there would be +10 SCs and +150 pedestals, so to get even close to half (less Qualcomm) is, by Tesla time and execution, impressive.

I hope the manager didn't get laid off as part of the recent purge. A couple more Clemente-sized sites in North County, one at the POE (San Ysidro) to finally open up the Baja tourist zone (~100km) now that we finally have marginally decent Mexican car/travel insurance (It covers US shop rate which was the big sticking point, but maxes out at $70K for a total loss), and two more wherever they make the most sense and they might well achieve +10/+150 only a year or two past forecast.

I'd call that a win.

and El Cajon
The location that Tesla had been working towards was derailed in May 2018 by the El Cajon City Council and subsequently dropped. They may have another site picked out and somewhere in their development pipeline already or maybe they'll eventually re-approach the city with a modified proposal but, regardless, I don't expect a supercharger to be built in El Cajon this year.

The location that Tesla had been working towards was derailed in May 2018 by the El Cajon City Council and subsequently dropped. They may have another site picked out and somewhere in their development pipeline already or maybe they'll eventually re-approach the city with a modified proposal but, regardless, I don't expect a supercharger to be built in El Cajon this year.

What was that Location? I have always thought that the Walmart Supercenter parking lot off I-8 at Los Coches Road would be great. Easy access for those coming to/leaving San Diego from the East with 24/7 Restroom.

What was that Location? I have always thought that the Walmart Supercenter parking lot off I-8 at Los Coches Road would be great. Easy access for those coming to/leaving San Diego from the East with 24/7 Restroom.
It was a city/municipal parking lot next to the police station, which was why the city council was involved in approving the project. I believe it was this one at the SE corner of Magnolia Ave. and Park Ave., just south of I-8. IIRC, the proposal was for 20 supercharger stalls and 4 universal L2. But like I said, I was told in August or September 2018 by the City Manager's office that the project was dropped and no longer being pursued for that location. Not sure where or if another has been chosen for El Cajon yet.

As a Supercharger user while driving on our frequent trips this would not be a good location anyway. We do not need to compete for parking, and it is so nice to have 24/7 Restroom and Food areas. And do not forget, ease access to/from Freeway.

I've been looking at the in-car Nav and the app since Mission Valley opened, and the most I've seen in use is 12, but usually 4-6. I assume that will continue to ramp up.

Camino Del Sur & Qualcomm are consistently full. Especially Qualcomm.

Another prediction: Downtown A street becomes a ghost town.

I've been looking at the in-car Nav and the app since Mission Valley opened, and the most I've seen in use is 12, but usually 4-6. I assume that will continue to ramp up.

Camino Del Sur & Qualcomm are consistently full. Especially Qualcomm.

Another prediction: Downtown A street becomes a ghost town.
Even if A Street becomes a ghost town, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Having a supercharger that is reliably open at all hours is valuable even if you have to pay to park (and even if you have to pay to charge).

It was a city/municipal parking lot next to the police station, which was why the city council was involved in approving the project. I believe it was this one at the SE corner of Magnolia Ave. and Park Ave., just south of I-8. IIRC, the proposal was for 20 supercharger stalls and 4 universal L2. But like I said, I was told in August or September 2018 by the City Manager's office that the project was dropped and no longer being pursued for that location. Not sure where or if another has been chosen for El Cajon yet.

Maybe they should consider the Parkway Plaza mall in El Cajon.
They have 4 VOLTA chargers and plenty of parking spaces available

• Love
Reactions: Fadiawesome
I don’t suspect the Carmel Valley/Del Mar location will be the location for the new V3 Superchargers that Elon says will unveiled somewhere on Wednesday. Perhaps V3 will go into the upcoming El Cajon, La Jolla, Chula Vista, and San Ysidro locations. Does the release of V3 mean the end of new installations of the V1 and V2 Urban Superchargers?

I don’t suspect the Carmel Valley/Del Mar location will be the location for the new V3 Superchargers that Elon says will unveiled somewhere on Wednesday. Perhaps V3 will go into the upcoming El Cajon, La Jolla, Chula Vista, and San Ysidro locations. Does the release of V3 mean the end of new installations of the V1 and V2 Urban Superchargers?

I suspect it will take a while before we see any V3 sites. The Fremont site is still a beta test site.my guess is we’ll see a second V3 site in 6-9 months. Maybe 12. Remember that V3 isn’t a drop in replacement for V2. The site design and permitting is different. Given that it takes upwards of 6 months to get a site permitted, it’ll be a while before we see any V3 sites.

Any news on Escondido supercharger?
Just stopped by the Regal movie theater lot for coffee and saw fences up next to the food court/Starbucks building. Looks like some trenching has been started on a possible location. This may be anything but the layout makes me hopeful that it’s a supercharger.

3631F7FB-FE92-4143-B3E3-8FA4F9A8F79E.jpeg8526776B-41ED-453D-923A-7B9A75F5CF37.jpeg7FBE4A0F-3492-4F82-B6AE-18C0BE30241B.jpegFD6874DD-3817-4A12-9667-DF9D465AFE7A.jpeg

Last edited:
@Mrr3ye5 send an email to [email protected] together with map showing the requested location and its accessibility. For example going to Temecula parking structure is not convenient for every owners. Second, there's no SC along I-215 coming from Moreno Valley and Temecula vice-versa. Third, it's a pain if you're going to Lake Elsinore coming from I-215 just to charge. Menifee at that time make sense to put up its own SC. Took more than 6 months when Tesla contacted the City of Menifee after I reached out with the team. Try to make a case, and good luck.