Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger growth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really like the first chat on this page, Superchargers. Open stations in Europe are clearly closing thr gap with open stations in Europe. The gap is only about 20 stations. Asia has a long ways to go to catch up, but a year from now the three continents could all be about the same level.

My view has been that the number of SC stations (not stalls) needs to be proportional to annual sales. Since the three continental markets are all expected to be about the same size, this theory would lead to the hypothesis that the number of stations need to be about the same. Thus, Europe and Asia are catching up with NA.

BTW, the number of stalls will need to be proportionate to the size of the existing times utilization. That is, the number of stalls will eventually be determined by service levels demanded by existing customers when capacity becomes more of the issue. Since NA has a substatial lead on the rest of the world in existing fleet sizes, it makes sense that the stall count would be quite ahead. This leads to the hypotheses that the average number of stalls per station should go up as a market matures or that when comparing two geographies, the one that is more mature will tend to have a higher number of stalls per station. I have not analyzed the data yet. So this a priori hypothesis can be properly confirmed or rejected based on data.

The number of stations, however, have direct bearing on how marketable a car is in a particular area. I live in Atlanta, just 2 miles from the Decatur store which has 4 SC stalls. I test drove a car last Saturday. In discussion, the sales rep asked about where we like to go for trips. Top on our list are Asheville, Charleston and maybe Orlando, but we prefer to fly to Orlando. It turns out that there are still no SC stations along the way to Asheville or Charleston. These are typical vacation desyinations for folks living in Atlanta. They are far enough away (four and six hours of driving) that you really need charging along the way. So despite all the new stations in the US and two within 15 miles of my home, the SC network is sadly lacking for the destinations that matter to my family. How does this impact our decision to buy? Frankly, it is discouraging. If there we a station near Anderson or Greenvile, SC, we would be very excited about taking our next trip to Asheville in our new Model S, but without it, we are left with the frustration that we will have to postpone that trip indefinitely or just take our old car. So this is a real speed bump in the sales process. We've already put off buying a Model S for one year waiting for this SC in South Carolina to materialize. Shall we wait another year? I am sure we are not the only potential buyers in the Atlanta area who have held back on buying a Model S because of inadequate SC coverage. Some of the best market research that Tesla could do is survey recent shoppers who test drive but have not purchased to find out what specific SC locations they would most like to see open up in the near future. I could tell them exactly where to place them to win my business. So each potential buyer has particular preferences about where the next station should go. Part of optimizing sales rates in any particular area comes down to understanding where local buyers need SC stations to be and putting them there. This is why the sales rate will be proportional to the number of stations. As stations are added, this enhances the sales rate in surrounding areas. Placing a SC in say Anderson, SC, would enhance sales in Atlanta and north Georgia, but also Asheville, Charlotte and the Tri Cities in North Carolina and Spartenburg, Columbia, and Greenville in South Carolina.

Basically we need to recognize that inadequate SC coverage in specific geographies pose constraints on demand. Now at a macro level, Tesla is predominantly supply constrained, not demand constrained. But at a micro level there are many areas where demand is constrained by gaps in SC coverage. I am sure that the FUDsters do not understand the way in which demand is constrained. If they did, then they would also have to recognize that it is within Tesla's power to enhance demand anywhere it likes simply by planting new SC stations where they will open up the most demand.

Excellent post, jhm. I am certainly waiting 6-9 months to order in part due to inadequate supercharger installations in my most frequent travel area from the NC Triangle to: Beaufort SC (ok), Columbia SC (rumored soon), Sunset Beach NC (maybe ok now), DC and Northern Virginia (ok), western Virginia/I-81 corridor (not yet), NJ/CT (ok), New Orleans (soon). My dreaming list for major road trips will probably be done by the time I would drive them (CA, MN, western parks).

I'm waiting due to 3 pretty equally weighted factors: above, garage setup/home charger, sticker shock.

Excellent post, jhm. I am certainly waiting 6-9 months to order in part due to inadequate supercharger installations in my most frequent travel area from the NC Triangle to: Beaufort SC (ok), Columbia SC (rumored soon), Sunset Beach NC (maybe ok now), DC and Northern Virginia (ok), western Virginia/I-81 corridor (not yet), NJ/CT (ok), New Orleans (soon). My dreaming list for major road trips will probably be done by the time I would drive them (CA, MN, western parks).

I'm waiting due to 3 pretty equally weighted factors: above, garage setup/home charger, sticker shock.
Hey, Jim,
I used to live in Durham. I suppose the Hillsboro SC is too close to Chapel Hill to be all that helpful.

So for me sticker shock is still a big obstacle as well. That one reason why it is so important to be able to fantasize about the trips you might take. Fantasies can be powerful things when trying to feel good about a big expense. A car I can't take on a four hour trip to Asheville is hard to feel good about spending $75k on. I may as well spend a third of that on a Leaf that I can never take out of the city.

So for me sticker shock is still a big obstacle as well. That one reason why it is so important to be able to fantasize about the trips you might take. Fantasies can be powerful things when trying to feel good about a big expense. A car I can't take on a four hour trip to Asheville is hard to feel good about spending $75k on. I may as well spend a third of that on a Leaf that I can never take out of the city.

Between the Superchargers and Autopilot, I'm thinking that in a couple years a Tesla will be by far the easiest and cheapest car to take on a road trip ever - after the Superchargers cover most roads and Tesla wrings all the potential they can from the Autopilot hardware and Navigation system. Which is a major reason that I'm thinking I need to see if I can come up with the money for one in a few years - most likely a model X, depending on what exactly they bring. :)
Walter

If you are holding out for certain paths to be completed before making your purchase it might not be worth the wait. Unless you seriously plan to make such a trip within the next year, the paths you are worried about are likely to be completed in that timeframe. Even at that, if I had waited until that "perfect" route was finished for a trip that I actually would have already made by now if the charging was there, then I would have been waiting until the end of 2015 (at the soonest). The path I am holding out for would finally allow me to travel back to my hometown to see family (which is sorta a biggish deal to me), however if I really got desperate to make that trip I could get a plane ticket (like 300$ round trip) or rent a car.

Putting off getting a Tesla would have left me around 2 years (by the time that charger finally comes online) of missing out all for that road trip that I might have made 2 or 3 times max in that period. I have certainly made up for it with three road trips out of the northern VA area to NC, FL, and even NY, two of those I likely would have never decided to make had it not been for the ownership of the Tesla. So while I might be missing out on a trip to my hometown, I have easily made up for it with other trips that would have never happened otherwise.

Point is, I wouldn't put off buying a good thing just for that one location that you can't get to yet (the key being yet... since GA, SC and NC will all be pretty decently covered by the end of 2015... anywhere else missing will likely follow shortly in 2016) just because you *might* decide to go there at *some point* but nothing really definitive... and you don't want to "restrict" yourself. Seriously, if it is that much of a deal, rent a car (or if you are a multi-car family take one of the other vehicles). You aren't likely to displace all of your cars in one sweep (unless you simply have that much money... in which case, why aren't you just flying everywhere???) so for 99% of your driving wouldn't you WANT to drive the best thing on the planet (yes, I am biased, but it is that truly awesome!)

Because I was in both of your shoes (sorta), I feel I can say, if that is your ONLY reason for not buying... Don't let it be. Make the leap and you won't regret it!

-Sorry for the side rant...

Thanks, chicken. It's not a decisive issue for me, but it does kill enthusiasm. We typically go to Asheville once or twice a year, and it's got such lovely little mountains it would be a pure joy to drive a Tesla around. We also plan on going to Charleston within the year to visit family. Certainly we can take the old gasmobile, but where's the fun in that?

The point that is critical for shareholders is that lots of would be Tesla buyers are just a few SC stations away from their personal tipping point. As Tesla rolls out stations at a fevered pace it is in fact building demand in a tangible and lasting way. Suppose for example that each well placed station adds about 1000 cars to annual demand. If so, we should be happy to see Tesla roll out another 300 stations by end of next year.

jhm, There is very good destination charging in Asheville. So it looks like you can get there and as long as you spend the night (for example Hilton in Biltmore Village) you can easily get back home. As a Roadster owner I have no hope of Supercharging but have yet managed 8 trips of over 500 miles in 28 hours or less. So while superchargers are great one can successfully drive an EV without them.

I've taken Model S trips of over 600 miles with no Superchargers. Takes about 27 hours if you wait for every charge--about 21 hours if one of your charges happens while you sleep. Superchargers are very nice, but they aren't 100% necessary if you plan correctly.

With this and other non-Tesla fast charging infrastructure, what do we expect compatibility to look like? This question relates to the entire EV industry and the entire future automotive industry. What will we see in terms of connectors, adaptors etc?

Lots of possibilities. Tesla's first mover advantage here may be decisive, though, especially with their "all are patents are belong to you" announcement from this summer. Right now, anyone who wants to make a long range BEV can make a much more compelling car for far less investment by being Supercharger compatible than they can one their own or using one of the other standards.

With the SpC being free/prepaid and the others being pay as you go, there doesn't seem to be much incentive for a SpC capable user to use any of the other networks once they have SpC coverage where they need to go.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the future you saw cars that understood all three major DCFC communication protocols (CHAdeMO, CCS, and Tesla,) and could take a fast charge from any of the three using simple dumb adapters.

OTOH, you might see something like happened with DVD formats - I know there are already some companies installing CCS/CHAdeMO combo chargers that have both cables attached to one box for just a little more money.
Walter

You know, I just checked the milage from my home to Ashevile and it is only about 205 miles, though here is substanial elevaion increase going into he mountains. So it looks like an 85 kWh pack and conservative driving could do the trick. Still need a little juice for getting around town. Charging over night should not be a problem. By the end of 2015 there should be new SC stations in both Greenville, SC, and Asheville. Now Charleston is 300 miles away, but there will be a new SC in Augusta, GA, which is almost exactly half way. So it looks like both destinations should be quite doable within a year. This makes me feel much better.

North America
Today – 151 stations
Complete West and East Coast coverage
Coast-to-coast travel
2014 – 80% of the US population and parts of Canada
2015 – 98% of the US population and parts of Canada
Europe
Today – 122 stations
Asia-Pacific
Today – 59 stations

151+122+59=332

I'm still not following where you are getting your increased number from? By my counts it should only be 328, where are these other 4 charging locations?

Musk recently tweeted that Tesla is working on an automated plug in solution. At first glance, this sounds like just a nice convience to have, but coupled with auto pilot, this could solve some serious infrastructure issues.

Consider posibility that you might never need park at a Supercharger stall. Instead your car drops you off within a vicinity of a Supercharger. The car signals to the charger that it needs to charge. When there is an available stall the charger summons the car and initiate a charge. When not being charged, the car parks itself in an ordinary parking spot and waits to be summoned.

Not only is this convenient, but it makes very efficient use of charging stalls reducing the rental cost and the number of charging units needed for times of peak usage. This may be exactly what is needed in more urban areas. Consider Tesla owners who live in a high rise condos. A single Supercharging stall in a parking structure could service over 24 Tesla cars left for overnight parking (20 minutes averga per car for 8 hours). Imagine the convenience. Your car drops you off at your prefered entrantrance. It parks itself and waits to be summoned by the charger. In the morning it is charged and waits for you. Meanwhile the cost of this infrastructure is split 24 ways and uses very little real estate. The same sort of system could be used within other kinds of parking facilities where Tesla owners are willing to park for multiple hours. The self-parking capability also may lead to better utilization of parking facilities as self-parking cars do not mind parking in the most remote spots. So parking operators may want to seek business with parkers that leave the best spots for others.

The key issue in providing charging solutions in expensive urban settings is making very efficient use of charging and parking infrastructure. I expect that automated chargers will play a crucial role in this.

Thanks for the vision, @jhm. It will be really interesting to see if the AutoPilot-to-park option can figure out how to navigate in multi-level parking garages. It's clear that the car's current GPS doesn't use elevation (it gets confused when you're driving on a surface road over a tunnel, e.g. Boston's "Big Dig" I-93 tunnel). The SC in Normal, IL is in such a parking structure. Given how idiosyncratic these garages can be and confusing even for humans, I'm skeptical about how quickly we'll see your vision play out for dense urban residences.