Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Guilderland, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This link may be helpful for NYC charging: http://www.beamcharging.com/

I decided to delink the hotel stay from parking and charging in Montreal as the observable options seemed limited.

you don't want beamcharging. use chargepoint stations. I've been using them for over a year now in NYC. Electric Vehicle Charging By ChargePoint as long as you have a card it's easy. there are several free chargepoint stations scattered around too, but you still have the pay for parking of course. oh, and every single parking garage in NYC is valet (except for maybe like 3 lol) so you have to be ok with handing your keys over to an attendant.

They have an app that allows you to activate stations, you don't necessarily need the card.

Thanks RiverBrick, I've installed the app, added some funds and looks like it will work perfectly! I've also got a fellow Montreal S owner who is lending me his card in case. :)

zax123 - here is some logging that I did along the trip to and from Montreal that may be useful. I have also attached my recharging options if things went bad.

Wow, I'm impressed with the stat collection. I feel like I'll be winging it without planning better. I kinda want to just treat the car as a "normal" car. But I'll be armed with all this just in case. :) Thank you!

View attachment 50803

View attachment 50802

I used the Albany supercharger last weekend. It was awesome. First time supercharging. I was very happy to see that even though I have VIN 5541, I have a B pack so I was able to get 120kW for the first little bit, then it starts to slow. I saw no cars there on my way down to NYC, but there were two cars there on my way back to Mtl. There was a nice Red charging when I was about to leave with NY plates and a certain medical profession as a custom plate... :)

All in all, the experience was awesome. Colonie Center has everything you could possibly want to spend time while charging. I did a full range charge and arrived with 45 miles left each time, so it probably took an hour and fifteen minutes or so, but I didn't notice as I was either eating breakfast or lunch or shopping.

I can't wait to use more superchargers as soon as the MASSIVE VOID that is Canada gets some... Hello Tesla? :) Echo!

Albany Supercharger Updates

I'm the only car supercharging at Albany right now. Was pleased to see Whole Foods is now open (8am-10pm) and there's a Starbucks and an IHOP right across Wolf Rd. And an LL Bean outlet which could be handy for last minute supplies for trips up north. Very close to I-87 Northway exit 2E. A big help until we get some more Superchargers in MA, NH, VT and ME.

qe5y7ury.jpg

Last edited:
Been there two times this week end on a round trip Montreal / NYC
Colonie center is indeed very nice
One stall was ICED each time (the one beside the regular parking spot) and on the return trip (sunday afternoon) there were only one stall available (4 Teslas and one ICE).
One lady even tried to plug her LEAF...
Great location
For information MTL / Albany is pretty tight (S85, five passengers) with 30KM left

Planning to travel from Greenwich, CT to Albany, NY later this week, with a return to Greenwich on Friday. Planning to charge at the supercharger in Albany in the evening. Wondering how crowded it gets. Also, at the moment, forecast doesn't call for snow, but it looks like Friday is going to be bitterly cold (0 degrees fahrenheit). Assuming a worst case scenario, if its this cold and there's some snow and wind, wondering if range might be a problem for my MS 85. Its about a 160 mile trip from Albany to Greenwich. Any advice much appreciated.

Everytime I've been there ( only 4 visits) the mall has been packed but after I parked there were three Tesla's charging. I have been there mainly in the evening between 5 and 7, once on a Friday evening. I have not witniessed any ICEing.
I did 211 miles from there to the Rochester area in 28 degree weather and had to stop for an hour to add 30 miles at a J1772. We arrived with 24 miles left travelling at 65 mph. I think you should be all right with a full charge going 160 miles assuming the terrain is not too taxing. Warm the cabin up while using the shore power to a reasonable temp, that will help limit the power used to maintain cabin temperatures.

Assuming a worst case scenario, if its this cold and there's some snow and wind, wondering if range might be a problem for my MS 85. Its about a 160 mile trip from Albany to Greenwich. Any advice much appreciated.

You should be fine with moderate speeds. Worse case scenario you could stop at the Westchester-Mt Kisco service center which has a HPWC available 24-7 for a charge if needed.

Visited the Albany charger on Sunday. One of the two stalls closest to the mall is defective, will terminate charging after few mins. Car reports: "Please plug in charging cable"
I have reported to Tesla, and their logs confirmed the issue is not the car but the stall
Not sure if already repaired

I just moved the car to another stall and everything worked great

I will be visiting family in Niskayuna for Thanksgiving and am hoping to use the Albany supercharger to recharge either on my way to or from my destination. Unfortunately, I think my travel plans are looking like we'll be traveling on Black Friday instead of Thanksgiving day.

Am I going to be SOL when looking to use the SC there on such a crowded day?

Am I going to be SOL when looking to use the SC there on such a crowded day?

I've only been there twice, and the spots aren't a premium location, but they're not that far from the doors either, so yeah, I'd guess there will be a high probability of ICEing on BF. But with 8 stalls, I'd think it wouldn't be too long of a wait for an ICE to vacate those spots. Also, I'd suggest contacting Tesla to see if they can talk the mall staff to put cones out for those spots and/or place a minimum wage worker out there to act as traffic cop to keep people from ICEing those spots. Good luck!!!

Albany is a six stall; I haven't seen it ICEd, but I have seen seven cars for six spots on a sunny Sunday during the summer. Mind you, some of those cars were Canadian (Albany is a fork in the road to go up to Canada east of Lake Ontario), so perhaps it won't be an issue for Thanksgiving.