Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Gustine, CA (12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stopped here coming back north from SoCal around 1pm yesterday. Three stalls were blocked by cones and the rest(9) were full. Fortunately the wait was only 5-10mins and I was able to get normal charge rates when I got a chance. Hope they either enlarge this location or add another in the general vicinity. Charging rates are suspect whenever I stop here, and that's only a few trips a year. May start trying to avoid this charger until updates are made. 80% limits enforced here as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Pluto
I guess things got a little bit better. I just visited this SuC location yesterday at around 2pm and only one stall was being used and only one stall had a cone blocking it. I was able to get from Calistoga, Ca down to Gustine with a 90% charge in our 2013 S85 with about 40 miles to spare. I stopped in for a 30 minute charge which was plenty enough to get me to Kettleman City. The SuC was about 50% utilized when I left. I'm glad it's there and I'm sure it has some very busy periods where expansion would be welcomed.

Anyone having issues with closed restrooms at Superchargers located at Restaurant Parking Lots?
Our normal route from Palm Desert, CA to SW Washington State has a few stops that are in this category.
Gustine (Santa Nella), Ca
(Andersen’s Pea Soup Restaurant)
also Black Bear Diner in Grant’s Pass, Oregon.

Make a quick stop at a gas station convenient store or truck stop is you best bet if your lucky.
Restaurants in general are closed due to the virus, even the fast foods places with drive thru open still will not let you use the restrooms.

Stopped there on Thursday morning on a long health-related trip (see restroom report here Covid-19: Is there restroom access along I-5 and I-10 right now?) and then again on Sunday at about 4pm.
Thursday was fine, not busy, proper charge level.
Sunday was a totally different story. Pretty busy and folks kept switching chargers. We could only get about 70kW even after our paired stall neighbour left: we had a temporary boost then once someone else plugged in next to us, it came back down to about 70kW. Like the paired stalls were evenly sharing the power and not giving priority to the first one that plugged in. That goes against my previous understanding of how this works...
(I did not call Tesla at the time, as I was already calling my mom for Mother’s Day)

We could only get about 70kW even after our paired stall neighbour left: we had a temporary boost then once someone else plugged in next to us, it came back down to about 70kW. Like the paired stalls were evenly sharing the power and not giving priority to the first one that plugged in.

Yep.... that's how a lot of the original SpC's worked. Trick was - when paired car left - unplug yours and re-plug before another plugs into paired stall.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: PStewart and BillO
Yep.... that's how a lot of the original SpC's worked. Trick was - when paired car left - unplug yours and re-plug before another plugs into paired stall.
I have done that in years past when I really wanted to make sure. But later I noticed the car would grab the pole by itself without needing to unplug. I should have tried that, but again my mom came first!
Seeing how people kept moving around and struggling with the charge made me think there was a systematic issue at this site.