Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Gustine, CA (12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_20161008_141955637.jpg
Stopped by Saturday afternoon for a drive-by. Still workers busy there, pedestals are up, but no transformer or pad spotted.

A little bit of a bit of a bummer location for those that use 152 for their norcal<-->socal trips, but otherwise great news. More superchargers is always a good thing, especially on what has to easily be the most traveled tesla route in the world.

Bring on Firebaugh and Kettleman City!!!

A little bit of a bit of a bummer location for those that use 152 for their norcal<-->socal trips
I don't understand what you mean. The Santa Nella Supercharger location is less than a 5 minute drive from the Hwy 152/I5 intersection. It will prove very useful for those who use 152 coming from the Bay Area to I5 or are headed to the Sierras.

Reactions: EVCarGUy
I don't understand what you mean. The Santa Nella Supercharger location is less than a 5 minute drive from the Hwy 152/I5 intersection. It will prove very useful for those who use 152 coming from the Bay Area to I5 or are headed to the Sierras.
Yeah, that one left me scratching my head, too. Santa Nella is perfectly situated and I always felt it was a critical missing link in the charging plan. Oh, well, to each his own. :)

Its far enough out of the way from 152 and close enough to Gilroy that those interested in minimizing total trip will find it a wash to charge at Santa Nella vs charge more at Harris and gilroy.

Just one pull-in stall. I am surprised that they don't make it all pull-in stalls since there are no snow fall there all year i assume.

Confirmed, there's no snow in Santa Nella (I grew up in Fresno, and note that Fresno is all back-in stalls). Perhaps someone was afraid of drivers pulling in and whacking the pedestals as they try to turn into the stalls, which has happened in Manteca.

When I saw the picture of the stalls I was thinking that the combination of one pull-in and the remainder back-in stalls was going to cause some confusion for drivers (as in "how many stalls is some clueless driver going to take up trying to line up with a pedestal"). :eek:

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: ggnykk
That is quite the nitpick! I'd be pretty happy if I were you and traveled 152 a lot.

I think its important to be honest about the benefit. Its awesome that we have another supercharger. Its just not as awesome as some people think it will be for them, specifically.

Its going to be a huge convenience and time saver for Altamont travelers. Dublin is a mess and Manteca is out of the way. Going through Gilroy from the east bay is at least just as inconvenient. Santa Nella Its an imperative charger on that route, and Tesla picked a spot on location.

The benefits of SN for those on 152 are far more subtle than Altamont travelers. Most people southbound can get to Harris on the first charge anyway, so there's not a huge benefit unless you're starting with insufficient charge, in which case charging at gilroy will still be a faster choice by virtue of convenience. Similarly, most people charging at Harris will minimize trip time and the inconvenience of backtracking by charging enough to get to gilroy so there's not a huge benefit northbound. What Santa Nella provides is: 1) The option to minimize travel time impact when skipping Harris (for obvious reasons), 2) A change of scenery from Gilroy, 3) Insulation from Gilroy outlet traffic (which is almost never a problem), 4) A bio bailout that doesn't waste too much time, and 5) most importantly, a bailout for those who underestimated range or were otherwise caught out undercharged between Gilroy and Harris.

any idea how long before this is site is available?
Yeah, That's the Question! Tesla won't tell.
It's not that "Tesla won't tell", it's that the local power company needs to connect up the site and how long that takes is outside of Tesla's control! Don't blame Tesla for something that is not their fault.

Last edited:
Reactions: EVCarGUy and DDotJ
The value I see in Santa Nella living in the Bay Area is not going South as Harris (or Buttonwillow if the car could make it) would be my first stop. However returning from the South Santa Nella is a good stop after the monotone I5 to take a short break shaking my legs before going on the home stretch over the a little more challenging 152.
And coming from the East from the National Parks and a little short on battery to make it to Gilroy - Santa Nella comes to the rescue.

Not everyone is driving to/from the Bay area tho... I-5 is a major north/south interestate!
Very true. And the Santa Nella location is nicely positioned for north/south travel on I5. It fills an obvious hole in the California Supercharger network.

Although there are a few very crowded Supercharger locations in California I think Tesla is doing a good job trying to keep up with demand. Once Buena Park and Santa Ana open that is going to help a lot along that stretch of I5.

And of course there are other new Supercharger locations in the works, some of which we certainly are not aware of yet.