Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hamden, CT - Dixwell Avenue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mociaf9

Oct 18, 2018
CA
Tesla's plans for a Hamden, CT supercharger got a mention in the city's Energy Use and Climate Change Commission's meeting on 2019-12-09 [pdf].
Some interest in electric car a pay station, or service charging stations....Tesla is interested in installing at a shopping center in Hamden. DEEP [Ed. CT's Dept. of Energy and Environmental Protection] and the Town is interested in Tesla including in the installation of additional power cable and electricity service while working underground for Tesla service. We look forward to working on the financing for this project.

Though no address or specific location was given, we do know they are looking at a "shopping center". My guess is that it will be at the Stop&Shop near the intersection of CT-10 and the Wilbur Cross Pkwy (CT-15). This would fit Tesla's siting MO as they've recently partnered with Stop&Shop on a few other supercharger locations in New England and there's a Panera Bread within walking distance :). But this could be wrong and it may very well end up somewhere else.

And now with confirmation. Hamden supercharger in planning/development for the Hamden Plaza shopping center. I was wrong about it being at the Stop&Shop. The actual location is across the road and down a bit. But I was right about it being close to the Panera, which is at the other end of the center from the actual location.

What: Tesla is planning to install an unknown number of superchargers at the Hamden Plaza shopping center.
Address: 2100 Dixwell Ave, Hamden, CT 06514

GPS: 41.370095, -72.919245

https://www.hamden.com/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Minutes/_06092020-1851
"Hamden Plaza is putting in Tesla charging stations where the former car art was located, and will add more [infrastructure] for other make cars."

https://www.hamden.com/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Minutes/_08112020-1898
"Ms. Schomaker recently went through the process when Hamden approved the installation of Tesla chargers in the Hamden Plaza. Tesla realized that Hamden exits see 5000 Tesla vehicles per month ... Tesla will spend $500,000 putting electric chargers in the Hamden Plaza"

@Chuq @MarcoRP

Got ahold of the site plans.

76AEECA6-22EB-4A3F-9DF5-F809FFD9E049.jpeg
12A6E5B2-C610-429D-9D19-96077E9466F7.jpeg

If this isn't the site of the old "Ghost Parking Lot" at the Plaza, it's really, really close to it. It's kind of amusing to see the juxtaposition of new vs old.
Yes it is. In one of the documents I linked to earlier, they were quoted as saying the installation was going to go where the "car art" used to be. I had no idea what the heck that meant, so I tried some google searches and came across the Ghost Parking Lot art installation that had been in that plaza. Interesting. I guess I misread the pictures I found of it though, because the pin I dropped and GPS coordinates I gave were where I thought they had been.

Yes it is. In one of the documents I linked to earlier, they were quoted as saying the installation was going to go where the "car art" used to be. I had no idea what the heck that meant, so I tried some google searches and came across the Ghost Parking Lot art installation that had been in that plaza. Interesting. I guess I misread the pictures I found of it though, because the pin I dropped and GPS coordinates I gave were where I thought they had been.
Ha, I missed that quote in your prior post; I was looking at the map/aerial photo in the docs @MarcoRP posted. As I recall (it's probably been 30+ years since I've been to the Plaza), it was right along the edge of the lot along Dixwell Ave; the site plan shows it a little further west. This is the picture from the Ghost Parking Lot article I posted above:

CTHAMghostparking2_620x300.jpg

It didn't hold up well...

This is the current view from that spot - Google Maps - the old Hamden Plaza and Firestone signs are still there as is the Ford dealer's sign (but that's now blocked by new trees).

I trolled around a bit on streetview. Everything is different since I was a kid, although the duckpin bowling alley is still there. The location of the obligatory Panara was a movie theater way back when. Thanks for indulging my reminiscing!

I trolled around a bit on streetview. Everything is different since I was a kid, although the duckpin bowling alley is still there. The location of the obligatory Panara was a movie theater way back when. Thanks for indulging my reminiscing!

I think the movie theater was in the next shopping center over to the right/north behind the Firestone. It had a mural of an underwater scene with a huge whale. And I think the Panera space was an addition built onto that part of the shopping center - that area used to be a parking lot for a store called Consumers Distributors (catalog showroom).

although the duckpin bowling alley is still there.

This makes me happy.

Just got back to Utah after driving to New England and back to see my parents. Was very sad that the candlepin bowling place in my old hometown closed due to the pandemic and loss of business.

Candlepin and Duckpin are awesome, but sadly dying.

I think the movie theater was in the next shopping center over to the right/north behind the Firestone. It had a mural of an underwater scene with a huge whale. And I think the Panera space was an addition built onto that part of the shopping center - that area used to be a parking lot for a store called Consumers Distributors (catalog showroom).
Bingo! Oh yeah, the Cinemart aquarium (from Cinemart Theater in Hamden, CT - Cinema Treasures)...

large.jpg

Streetview shows it's now a Men's Warehouse (formerly a Blockbuster). I remember shopping at Consumers Distributing (everyone called it CD). And Crazy Eddie's (I think that was in the Plaza near CD - maybe in the same store after CD closed?) - I bought a Magnavox CD player (a favorite for modding the DAC) and a Teac cassette deck there before the collapse.

Thanks all, this is now officially my favorite thread on TMC!

If this isn't the site of the old "Ghost Parking Lot" at the Plaza, it's really, really close to it. It's kind of amusing to see the juxtaposition of new vs old.
Thanks for the reminder of what I used to call the "Tar Cars" from yesteryear. Loved driving down Rt. 10 as a kid and and gawking at that creepy line of buried forms. Eventually I expect to charge in Hamden and will walk over to that roadside spot for sure. Lol, should be a plaque or something. Regret the past is fading. Heck, I believe there's now only one Goddard rocket still standing in the Auburn "Garden". Enjoy frequently getting out of the car to explore things of local interest. Beats kicking the tires around all those Panera's!

Reactions: tga and JWardell
Ha, I missed that quote in your prior post; I was looking at the map/aerial photo in the docs @MarcoRP posted. As I recall (it's probably been 30+ years since I've been to the Plaza), it was right along the edge of the lot along Dixwell Ave; the site plan shows it a little further west. This is the picture from the Ghost Parking Lot article I posted above:

CTHAMghostparking2_620x300.jpg

It didn't hold up well...

This is the current view from that spot - Google Maps - the old Hamden Plaza and Firestone signs are still there as is the Ford dealer's sign (but that's now blocked by new trees).

Oh hahaha this instantly fired up long lost memories! I was pretty young and totally believed my mom's explanation that they were just people who didn't move their cars in time for paving the lot!

Reactions: tga